Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #1

Question Gas oven pilot lighting problem

We have Jayco, Jay Flight SLX 2018 model. Owen has not been used yet.
I tried to light the pilot light by depressing the knob as instructed and used a long neck butane lighter. I looked at a YouTube video also and make sure I am doing it correctly. The pilot would not light. The three stove burners work fine. Hot water and the central heating systems are working also. Any tips, recommendation to get the owen working is highly welcome and appreciated.
Thank you.
Vpsnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:00 PM   #2

You said stove burners are working - good.

You have a long neck lighter - good.

Turn oven valve to "pilot". Push in valve and hold. Try lighting the pilot but keep valve pushed in after you light the pilot for about 15 seconds.

After pilot stays lit, you can turn your oven to desired temperature. If you turn your oven valve to off, the pilot light will go off too.

If this does not do the trick, check to see if there is a kink in the oven gas line.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:32 PM   #3

Some stoves have a little valve or screw that controls the pilot which you can see when you remove the stove top. That may be off or needs to be turned up.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:55 PM   #4

Gosh.... we wished our Seneca had a gas oven/stove combination... they eliminated the Oven part and it is only a cook top.

Now to what might be the case: Our prior motorhome had a small shut/off valve under the burner cook top that would shut off the gas to the oven burner/pilot. It was a safety feature when the propane was shut off and on - that the thermocouple would have a backup to insure no gas was leaking.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:07 PM   #5
Site Team

There was an issue with some knobs not allowing the shaft to be pushed in far enough to release the gas. I don't remember the make or model of stove, but try this. Pull the oven knob off, and put a small wad of paper in the shaft hole. Replace it back on the shaft and try it again. If it lights, that was the problem.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:22 PM   #6

Do you get any flame from the pilot tube?

My experience, it is very easy to put the fire stick in the wrong place, hence it cannot light.

I have to press the pilot in for 5-10 seconds before it will lite. Once it is lite, I have to continue depressing the pilot for another 10+ seconds, or it will go out.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:14 PM   #7

Thank you for all these great tips. Will try them all when we go to the RV next weekend. Will report if it worked. I did move the hand lighter flame around the area where the pilot light is located inside the oven when pushing the knob. But no luck. May be it is not getting the gas feed as some of you pointed out. More than one reason could be possible cause of pilot light failure! One would expect that the dealer check all the items before leaving their lot. But I guess it is upto the buyer to go through the check list and make sure everything works. If a buyer is a novice or a first time buyer, we are at the mercy of the seller. It is pain in the neck to drag the RV to a dealer or any repair shop to fix small problems.
Thanks to the advice of the experienced RVers on this forum, I fixed the water heater problem by changing the control board. This is a wonderful forum. Thank you all for taking your time to help other fellow RVers and sharing your experiences!
Vpsnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 06:56 PM   #8

Patience may be the key factor. We have a Furrion stove in our Pinnacle. When we take it out and light the stove pilot for the first time I have to hold the knob in for almost 3 minutes before the pilot lights, even though the stove top burners light. The pilot uses such a small amount of gas and it may take some time for it to purge the air out of the line. Wish you luck.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:38 AM   #9

Good to know.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar57 View Post
Patience may be the key factor. We have a Furrion stove in our Pinnacle. When we take it out and light the stove pilot for the first time I have to hold the knob in for almost 3 minutes before the pilot lights, even though the stove top burners light. The pilot uses such a small amount of gas and it may take some time for it to purge the air out of the line. Wish you luck.

We had to do this as well. I believe there's a separate gas line for the oven from the manifold under the trailer. With such slow flow to feed the pilot, it took about 3 minutes for ours to purge the air and light.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:12 PM   #11
Site Team

Take a flash light and look closely where the flame will be on your oven. On mine, I was holding the match in the wrong place the first few times. Ours has piezo ignition for the burners so no pilots there.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pilot light, rv owen