Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2017, 02:07 PM   #1

Gas quick connect hookup

Hey All,

Before my last trip (Spring Break to Ocean Lakes in early April) I wanted to rig up a hose that would allow me to use the LP quick connect at the back of my TT for my grill and my LP gas fire pit. Having one made was out of the question after brief research revealed it would cost about $225 for a 20' section from a local LP hose company. So, I purchased 2 - 10' sections that were pre-made 3/8 M-T-F connections, added a 3/8 coupler, and removed the regulator from the grill hookup and found a 3/8 compression to 1/8 MPT elbow (believe it or not ). Everything was great until...little to know pressure at the grill element. So little, I had to use a match and struggled to get the element to light at all. I was using a Mr.Heater quick connect with flow restriction. After researching, I realized that I needed a free-flow adapter. So, I went to Camping World and found the right quick connect (free flow) adapter and proceeded to try again. Despite feeling confident I solved this riddle, I was disappointed again. This time it wasn't for a lack of pressure, I never got that far. I could not, for the life of me, get the new male quick connect from the hose to seat in the female quick connect on the trailer. Convinced I had a faulty quick connect on my TT, I began searching Ocean Lakes for a simliar Jayco I could try my new hose setup on. Anyone who as ever been to OL knows that didn't take long and a gentleman with a brand new Northpoint FW had just what I needed. Much to my dismay however, a quick test revealed the hose wouldn't seat in his quick connect hookup either. .

So, I have come to the conclusion the male quick connect from Camping World is just too long. Now my questions begin. 1)Anyone else have this problem? (quick connect won't seat all the way) 2)Can I just grind the male end of the quick connect down an 1/8th" inch to get it to seat without jeopardizing the integrity of the connection? 3)Any alternatives to make this easier? I can't believe how aggravating this has been.

Thanks for listening and I appreciate everyone's feedback in advance.

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #2

Camp Chef RV Connection Hose

Purchase on Amazon, fits my quick connect perfectly, although it's not 20 feet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
jjvirginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:39 PM   #3

Try this https://gashosesandregulators.com/Pr...onnect-Hose/50. I ordered 15' and it came with a matching lead that stays on the grill

2004 3500 Dodge Ram
2017 Eagle 324 bhts
jklowe48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #4

I have the camp chef hose as well and drilled out the inside male quick connect to increase the gas flow. Seats perfect and my 3 burner cook top has plenty of BTU's.

You might have a air chuck connection and not gas. It is CW after all

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #5

The appliances in your camper run at a much lower pressure than your standard gas grill or fire pit. If the hose you've invented connects anywhere after the camper's regulator, I don't think you will ever get the pressure you need. I'm thinking you would have to install a tee somewhere in the pigtail between your propane tank and your camper's regulator.

Having said that, there are safety reasons for the extra low pressure appliances. Running a high pressure LP hose through your camper would probably be a bad idea. Not sure about underneath.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies so far. I know it's not an air quick connect. I have an air compressor and the quick connect profile for air is significantly different than gas. The regulator has been removed from the grill so I know it's not double regulated. It's straight connected through the new hose config and all components are 3/8 full flow connections. I feel confident that it will work from the TT once I figure out the deal with the male quick connect being too long.

Has nobody else tried to do this before and run into the same problem?
Old 05-11-2017, 08:39 PM   #7

Gas quick connect hookup

I have a Weber grill and used a kit from propanegear.com. It had everything to convert grill and a hose with the right quick connect. Works great.

http://propanegear.com/weber-q-rv-qu...2-m-f-qc-hose/
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:45 PM   #8

This is the fitting I bought and it works great,

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-59903-P.../dp/B007HG7WUQ
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:49 AM   #9

I'm going to bet that it is caused by two things, 1) two hoses connected together, with the connector being a lot of resistance, 2) the 20 feet of flexible hose has a lot of resistance.

Just for kicks and giggles, I would try your setup with just one section of the 10 foot hose without the 3/8 m t f connectors and see how that works.

With my air compressor as an example, I have two 50 foot hoses connected, with a gauge at the end, easily has 50 psi, but doesn't flow 50 psi while operating the paint sprayer, even though I only need about 35-40 to paint, I have to bump up the line pressure to about 65-70. However, if I only have one section, I can set the line pressure at 40 and it will only drop off about 5-8 psi at the sprayer. The linear drag of a 3/8 rubber gas line has a significant higher resistance than a 3/8 brass line.

Just my 2 cents

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:07 AM   #10

It seems I may have focused too much on the flow issue in this story. That is NOT my concern at this point. I've factored in resistance for pressure and regulation, etc. and feel good that the flow will be sufficient. I need to focus specifically on why/how the male quick connect adapter is too long and if it can be safely modified to fit without jeopardizing the integrity of the connection.

Thanks again to all who have replied.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:24 AM   #11

Gas quick connect hookup

I wouldn't modify the connector. Just get the right one. The site I listed a few posts up has them as do many other places. I got the whole kit with 12' hose for $65. I think just the male quick connect your looking for is a 1/4" male npt. What size did you get from camping world?
Old 05-12-2017, 09:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
I wouldn't modify the connector. Just get the right one. The site I listed a few posts up has them as do many other places. I got the whole kit with 12' hose for $65. I think just the make quick connect your looking for is a 1/4" male npt. What size did you get from camping world?
South, I have purchased 2 - 1/4" NPT quick connect adapters now. The 1st was the Mr. Heater brand adapter with (unbeknownst to me) the plastic flow control valve in it. It was extremely tight trying to get it to seat in the female quick connect adapter on the TT but I was able to pull the collar forward to close it. (It wouldn't work because of the built-in flow control.) The 2nd is the 1/4" Camping World full flow male adapter. That is the one that I can't get to seat in the female quick connect adapter on the TT.

My concern with ordering another is that I'll run into the same problem. What was odd about it was that I experienced the same issue with a camping neighbor's quick connect on his FW (as mentioned above)

shrp
Old 05-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

If you want to cut it off and try it, just check the connection with soapy water afterwards. If it doesn't work, try another connection.
Probably like air disconnects, there is a couple styles that are not inter-changable.
I think you can pick up those quick disconnects at any bog box store. Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes. If they don't fit, take them back.
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #14

I had the same problem you are having. I ended up just buying a new female connection for the trailer and replacing that as well - so it would fit the hose. Jayco has a different size/manufacture for it's quick connects on some models/years. I found that out the hard way, as you are finding out now as well.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #15

Gas quick connect hookup

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr View Post
South, I have purchased 2 - 1/4" NPT quick connect adapters now. The 1st was the Mr. Heater brand adapter with (unbeknownst to me) the plastic flow control valve in it. It was extremely tight trying to get it to seat in the female quick connect adapter on the TT but I was able to pull the collar forward to close it. (It wouldn't work because of the built-in flow control.) The 2nd is the 1/4" Camping World full flow male adapter. That is the one that I can't get to seat in the female quick connect adapter on the TT.

My concern with ordering another is that I'll run into the same problem. What was odd about it was that I experienced the same issue with a camping neighbor's quick connect on his FW (as mentioned above)

shrp

I understand. I could be wrong. Maybe what I got from propanegear.com isn't 1/4". I assume the female quick connect on all jaycos are the same. So since you tried another Jayco and it still didn't work, you know it's not your campers fitting. I just ordered the kit I mentioned earlier and it fit the camper fitting fine... I would do one of two things. Call somewhere that sells them and see what they say you need or buy a package set that includes both female and make quick connect fittings. I see those as well. I guess you could try and mod what you have but like mentioned check for leaks. Sorry not sure what else...
Old 05-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr View Post
Hey All,

...snip...

So, I have come to the conclusion the male quick connect from Camping World is just too long. Now my questions begin. 1)Anyone else have this problem? (quick connect won't seat all the way) 2)Can I just grind the male end of the quick connect down an 1/8th" inch to get it to seat without jeopardizing the integrity of the connection? 3)Any alternatives to make this easier? I can't believe how aggravating this has been.

Thanks for listening and I appreciate everyone's feedback in advance.

shrp
Answers 1) Yes, I bought the same incorrect fitting from CW. The tech said it was the correct one for my TT.
2) I was able to carefully grind 1/2 of the tip off on my bench grinder. It took some time. But much less than drive to CW and back!
3) I know your aggravation. I had the brand new hoses AND new table-top grill all connected together when I discovered the fitting was wrong.

PM me if you want some tips (no pun intended) on how to grind the fitting down.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:03 PM   #17

You know had same problem on are 16 Eagle. Had small table top Weber grill, removed regulator from the grill. Found a guy on U Tube who showed how to make the switch over. Even had pics of the fittings and were to buy them, Home Depot. Work great nice not having to carry those green bottles of propane around any more.PS did forget to shut my grill off one nite, drained my on board tank.Only did that once so far! LOL Happy Trails
Attached Thumbnails
Kaibab8-16.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #18

I used the Camco 57282 10' Propane Quick-Connect Hose https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and the male plug end fits into the Jayco quick connect valve fine. With it I also used the Camco 59853 Propane Quick Connect Kit - Valve & Full Flow Plug https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The male plug end was mounted on the Weber and plugged into the valve end of the Camco extension hose. I then used the valve that came with the kit on the old Weber regulator so I could switch back and forth with the small cylinders in case I was not using the Weber at the trailer.
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #19

I use a Coleman Roadtrip grill, and I was able to take the regulator off of the connection tube for the grill, making the tube free-flow, and then connect it to the trailer with the hoses that you first referenced. If you can somehow figure out how to connect the hose to your grill, without the secondary fitting, you can probably accomplish the same thing.

If THAT doesn't work, they sell a tee that connects directly to your LP tank, where the trailer connection attaches to the tee and then you can connect a high-pressure hose to the other outlet. Then you can run the high-pressure hose to the grill, like you normally would. The only negative on this idea is that your tanks, if both on, will switch to the second tank when the first gets low, but you'll have to manually move the tee to the second tank for the grill to function.

No ideas on the fire pit connection, as my portable fire pit is a wood burning fire ring.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:58 PM   #20

I had the same problem. I ended up getting the name off of the female coupler on the TT and searching online to find the male. I can't remember what it was or where I got it, but once I found the right male, it fit right up.

Mine still doesn't work because I still have the regulator on the grill - need to find the fittings to take off the regulator and connect to my hose... I've resorted to just taking an extra 10 lb tank - some day I'll straighten this out...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote