Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #1

Gas Smell in New Trailer Furnace

We bought a new 2011 254BHS this summer and are on our first big trip. I'm not sure what the problem is, but our furnace blows gas into the trailer and sets off the alarm. It worked fine when we were doing the walk through when we bought it, but now something is wrong. (dealer is closed already today) I feel like I'm missing something stupid simple, but I can't place it. The thermostat seems to function fine when switching to heat. The blower kicks on and begins to blow air, but all we get is gas. Is there anything else I can check for?

Other than that, this trailer is wonderful so far.
sprale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #2

During the walk through did they just turn it on or really let it run?

It's common that new furnaces need to "burn in". When our trailer was new we ad to run it with windows open and fan on for the first 30-45 minutes then the smell went away. Both the co and smoke alarm went off on ours the first time out during the burn in.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #3

Don’t use it until you can have a dealer look at it. It works just like at home. Have the gas on and power to the furnace, set the thermostat to your desired temp and it does its thing. If it is blowing out gas odors something is wrong. Turn it off and do not use it until it is checked!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #4

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
During the walk through did they just turn it on or really let it run?

It's common that new furnaces need to "burn in". When our trailer was new we ad to run it with windows open and fan on for the first 30-45 minutes then the smell went away. Both the co and smoke alarm went off on ours the first time out during the burn in.
They just did a quick verification of all of the features. It took an hour or so, but didn't let the heater run. They only fired it up and then shut it down. We are at Gold Beach, OR now and running the furnace for a while. I pulled the battery from the alarm (I'll put it back when I'm done Mom &#128541 and will let it burn in for a while. I will report back soon. Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #5

No dice. It's like it's not firing or burning the fuel and blowing it through the vents.

Oddly, it is getting warm at the vents. Maybe it's just not burning all of the fuel?
Old 06-24-2012, 11:43 PM   #6

Sorry to hear that. Gold beach is a popular destination for RV, I'm sure there is a mobile repair available. Maybe call Jayco directly in the morning and see if they can locate a repair shop or mobile repair close that would be covered by the warranty and disrupt your trip too much.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #7

Also, if you have elec hookup you could always get a elec space heater if you would rather wait till you get home for the repair.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #8

1x on the "burn in". Ours set off the smoke alarm for about 15 min when we first fired it up. I expect there's manufacturing oil that needs to be burned off.
But, it you can smell propane then it's for sure not right. Don't run it until it's checked out!

1x on the space heater. I got one at Target and it will heat the trailer (it's a hybrid - tent ends) just fine. We've camped in windy 28 F weather and were comfortable without the furnace (uses the gas at an alamring rate).

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #9

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
1x on the "burn in". Ours set off the smoke alarm for about 15 min when we first fired it up. I expect there's manufacturing oil that needs to be burned off.
But, it you can smell propane then it's for sure not right. Don't run it until it's checked out!

1x on the space heater. I got one at Target and it will heat the trailer (it's a hybrid - tent ends) just fine. We've camped in windy 28 F weather and were comfortable without the furnace (uses the gas at an alamring rate).
We ran it last night for about a half hour and it seemed to get a bit better, but not great. This morning we are running it again and it seems to get progressively better. It's not a gas smell, more like burning plastic or oil.

We called the dealer and they said that the components of the furnace system have a protective coating that needs to be burned off before first use (nice to know before we hit cold weather). We saw an Ace in town and were going to get an electric heater if this didn't work (and some warmer clothes too :/).

The smell has mostly subsided after another half hour of burn-in today. It's progressive, so I think it will be fine in another hour. We slowly are closing the windows as the smell goes away. It's a learning experience, hopefully threads like this help others out down the road. Thanks for the good advice everyone!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
Site Team

Look at the good side. At least you know you got a new furnace.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #11

glad to hear it's nothing major

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #12

Happy to hear that it is improving. That smell, hot buring plastic, is exactly what we experienced and so have many other on here. I suspect that it will get much better with a little open window fan on use.

By the way, not a bad idea to keep a portable electric heat in the trailer. When at an elec hookup...use thier electricity -- you paid for it with you stay, and hang on to the propane.

Couple years ago we were in gold beach in July. Much colder that I expected. In fact one day we for a Jet Boat ride on the rogue, had a blast, but ended up buying lots of logo fleese becasue we weren't prepared for the cold summer. Heck, we are a california family.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #13

Where the heck are you in Texas that you need a furnace in June? :hihi::lizard:

It's going to be 100+ today in Dallas, Texas.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #14

We had the same issue when we first used the oven. The "whatever" burned off quicker than the furnace but it was a shock when my bride was about to put some biscuits in the heating oven.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprale View Post
We ran it last night for about a half hour and it seemed to get a bit better, but not great. This morning we are running it again and it seems to get progressively better. It's not a gas smell, more like burning plastic or oil.

We called the dealer and they said that the components of the furnace system have a protective coating that needs to be burned off before first use (nice to know before we hit cold weather). We saw an Ace in town and were going to get an electric heater if this didn't work (and some warmer clothes too :/).

The smell has mostly subsided after another half hour of burn-in today. It's progressive, so I think it will be fine in another hour. We slowly are closing the windows as the smell goes away. It's a learning experience, hopefully threads like this help others out down the road. Thanks for the good advice everyone!
My father use to call that smell "burning the dust out of the pipes."
skidoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #16

When doing the walk through on our new Jay Flight, the tech told us to give the furnace and oven a good 'warm up' time, to remove any by-products of manufacturing processes.

Also to take the battery out of the smoke detector. When the temperature cools down some, I'm going to do this.

I don't remember this being a problem on my '05.
Bob in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote