Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2015, 08:01 PM   #1

Gas station navigation

I picked up my new White Hawk last weekend and went on our first trip. We went to a campground that was close by so I did not need to fuel up while in tow. We have some much longer trips coming up this summer and I will have to refuel several times. Any tips / advice on safely navigating gas stations while refueling? Thanks.

tpennington70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:06 PM   #2

What is your TV? If a diesel like mine, I try to look for Flying J's with RV fuel fill up. Most have both diesel and regular. When I towed with the family SUV and fueled up with regular fuel, I always tried to look for a gas station that had the pumps at an angle when pulling up...made life much easier!!

Good Luck! Dan

'16 Ram 3500 MC CTD Dually, 4:10 rear
'14 Ram 2500 MC CTD (gone)
'14 287BHBE (gone)
'16 North Point 377RLBH (current and hopefully last)
Bookemdanno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #3

'12 Nissan Armada Platinum. Gas. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpennington70 View Post
'12 Nissan Armada Platinum. Gas. Thanks for the advice.
Your vehicle is very close to what I used as TV previously, just the Infiniti version. Very good and capable TV.
'14 287BHBE (gone)
Old 03-28-2015, 08:17 PM   #5

Yep. No issues in my first tow with it. Of course the roads were really flat in Central Florida where I was towing. We'll see how it does when I go up in the North Georgia this summer. 95 and 75 seem to be full of Pilot Travel Centers and Flying J's so I'll definitely be looking for those stations.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:21 PM   #6

I'm very familiar with the area. I grew up in South FL. When I was in college I had a pop up and I would go up to Jekyll Island (spelling??) all the time....being young and stupid, I towed back then with my Camaro! LOL.
'14 287BHBE (gone)
Old 03-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #7

We will be headed to Vogel SP near Blairesville. Curvy roads and steep inclines/declines. I hope the Armada is up to it.....
Old 03-28-2015, 08:38 PM   #8

I always ensure I have a full tank of gas before heading out on a trip. Getting 8mpg and having a 44 gallon gas tank that gives me 352 miles before I run out of fuel. I can never go that far before I need to stop to stretch or for one of my kids to use the bathroom. If on the highway I only stop at rest areas and I take that oppertunity to re fuel. If I am traveling on side roads I am usually at my CG within 200 miles from home.
The summer we drove from NY to Disney we developed a system, as soon as we got the TV unhooked from the TT, DW headed to the nearest Wally World and would gas up on her way back. In the mean time the kids and I finished setting up the TT and walking the dogs. This way I minimized fuel stops while travling.
2010 Jayco Jay Flight G-2 32 BHDS
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:19 AM   #9

I plan my trip/route and then use google maps(street view) to look at gas stations where I want to stop. The ones on angles are easier, but I always look at the entrance and exits to make sure I will be able to get in and out with ease. It gets easier as you become more comfortable towing
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:45 AM   #10

- Take your time (don't get in a rush, and be willing to wait at a station. Go slow and always leave yourself an out.) People that aren't hauling RVs generally are very selfish.

-Fill up often and keep notes for next time you drive the same roads. Do not wait until you are under 1/4 to start looking. You may have to bypass a station or two to find and RV friendly one. I always recommend stations where the lanes run parallel or at an angle to the station so you don't have to make the sharp turn before the building. Don't be afraid to block multiple pumps if necessary but fill and move if possible if you need to go inside for bathrooms.

- Most importantly, use Google Earth or something. Estimate how far you think you will make it on one tank, then at roughly two thirds that distance on the map, look for large stations. On the overhead map and street view, visualize yourself getting in and out of the station and make notes of where this station is so you can stop.

This is what I always recommend to new towers. Once you get more comfortable this stuff won't be quite as necessary. But it never hurts with unfamiliar ground.

UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote