Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2015, 10:18 PM   #41

I fuelled up at a gas station once with my TT and a fuel delivery truck arrived just before I was about to leave and blocked me in...I had to wait at the pump island until he finished and man did I get a lot of dirty looks from others waiting to fill up. I make a point of fuelling in the evenings when it is not so busy.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #42

My priority would be to find diesel with less than 5% bio blend. Do all Flying J's sell 20% biodiesel blend or this is different by location?

I will be traveling without spotter, so Flying J would be easy location to get diesel (from what you are saying), but bio diesel is no go for me.

Also, are all the nozzles truck size nozzles at Flying J? I have an adapter for the big nozzles, but auto shut off does not work with this... can be messy.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:18 PM   #43

The Allstays app has a nice filter feature. If we have to look for a fuel stop we set it to show only fuel stations. Allstays is one of those things I will always travel with.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:56 PM   #44

I've started using Google maps to find gas stations and look at how easy or difficult they would be to get into and out of. It relieves the stress about pulling into a station that you can't get into or out of.
CKinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:59 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
My priority would be to find diesel with less than 5% bio blend. Do all Flying J's sell 20% biodiesel blend or this is different by location?

I will be traveling without spotter, so Flying J would be easy location to get diesel (from what you are saying), but bio diesel is no go for me.

Also, are all the nozzles truck size nozzles at Flying J? I have an adapter for the big nozzles, but auto shut off does not work with this... can be messy.
Flying J/Pilot is my primary fuel stop when traveling. They have a fuel island for RVs near where the cars fuel. Those nozzles, and the diesel nozzles in the auto fuel area, are NOT the large size you find the the truck fueling lanes.

I looked on the Flying j/Pilot web site and it appears the bio diesel percentage varies by location.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #46

I don't want to start a war here but I don't feel that we RVers shouldn't use truck fuel lanes because "time is money" to a trucker! Many times our only option is to use these lanes. We have seen more friendly truckers than ones that are mad because we are fueling in the "truck lanes". They may be longer and larger but in our case we are longer and larger than many car islands will accommodate. We have seen truckers leave their rigs parked in the fuel lanes blocking access for others and go inside when they could've pulled ahead and opened things up. We do our best to fuel up and get out of everybody else's way as soon as we can. I know there are some car lane users that will block the fuel lane and go inside even though there are signs posted to pull ahead after fueling. So- I guess it works both ways! Everyone just be courteous to others and it works quite well. When we plan a long trip I also get on Google Earth and look at fuel stops to see what access and egress there is to them. After awhile you get to know what your "range" is and can plan ahead for fuel stops.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:18 AM   #47

I will plan my stops with Google Earth and would have Flying J as a backup plan. Thank you!
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:34 PM   #48

I try to find stations that are RV friendly, but on occasion I find myself needing to wedge into a station where the Gas pumps/island are essentially setup perpendicular to the gas store. In those cases, I try to pick the outside pumps but even then, a quick glance to see how I can maneuver out Forwards/backwards is a must. Then I take the room I need and everyone else can give all the looks they want, I don't care. I'm a paying customer same as they are. If they wish to complain, tell it to the store.

Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:52 PM   #49

Best advice I can give is....don't fill up while traveling.

Unless absolutely necessary, I don't pull into a gas station when traveling with the rig attached. I tried it a few times and was annoyed enough with people in cars wanting to zip around me and such that I bought an 30 gallon auxiliary tank that fits in the bed of my truck. For a minimal investment, I'm now able to fill up before we start, hook up, and then drive for a full day (8 hours) without filling up again. We plan where we're going to stop and drop the trailer when we get there and then go fill up again.

Of course, my wife and kids start going crazy after about 6 hours driving, so we either have to stop at 8 hours or I wind up going to jail.

Other than that, I typically scout the route with Google Maps and determine if it is rig friendly. If so, then I know I can fit. As for the truckers getting mad, well, can't help that. If I was a trucker, they would have to wait anyway. Just because I'm not doesn't mean I'm unworthy of the truck lane. Besides, it's not like I'm going to take 20 minutes to fill up...right? With the big nozzles, it probably takes something like 30 seconds to fill up both my tanks.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote