Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #1

Gasoline Experiences?

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same significant differences in gasoline performance that I have. I have a 2016 Ford Escape with the 2.0 Ecoboost Motor. In our part of the country, our gas may contain "up to 10% alcohol". I continually see significant differences in the same grade of fuel from different brands of gas, and, don't know why that would be. Also, those differences are accompanied by big swings in Mileage. I'm having an uneasy feeling that gas vendors are cutting the gas with a higher percentage of alcohol as alcohol costs them less than gas. Most people would not notice, only if you were towing, or have a Ecoboost engine. How could I easily measure the Alcohol content by sample at fill up time? Any one here have any thoughts, ideas? Your comments are solicited. Jeff
Campers & Fishers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:01 PM   #2

I travel frequently between the 86 &87 octane areas.
Mileage varies more by atmospheric conditions than by pump gas ratings.
Headwinds and such. Pure gasoline with no alcohol added is pretty rare.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:57 PM   #3

Here is some info from the EPA site.

There are three general categories of ethanol-gasoline blends: E10, E15, and E85. E10 is gasoline with 10% ethanol content. E15 is gasoline with 15% ethanol content, and E85 is a fuel that may contain up to 85% fuel ethanol. The ethanol content of most of the motor gasoline sold in the United Sates does not exceed 10% by volume. Most of the motor gasoline with more than 10% fuel ethanol content is sold in the Midwest where most of ethanol production capacity is located. Gasoline dispensing pumps generally indicate the fuel ethanol content of the gasoline.

All gasoline engine vehicles can use E10. Currently, only flex-fuel and light-duty vehicles with a model year of 2001 or greater are approved by the EPA to use E15, although some automakers have yet to approve the use of E15 in their vehicles. Flex-fuel vehicles can use any ethanol-gasoline blends up to E85.

The energy content of ethanol is about 33% less than pure gasoline. The impact of fuel ethanol on vehicle fuel economy varies depending on the amount of denaturant that is added to the ethanol. The energy content of denaturant is about equal to the energy content of pure gasoline. In general, vehicle fuel economy may decrease by about 3% when using E10 relative to gasoline that does not contain fuel ethanol.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:13 PM   #4

Also keep in mind many parts of the country have switched to winter blend gas which often results in less mpg.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:21 PM   #5

And that as the outside temp varies, it takes longer, or much longer, to warm up your engine to get it to the point where it is running most efficiently. Here in Minn., I can see up to a 15% drop in milage just between 30 degree days, and -10 degree days.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #6

I've also noticed pretty large differences in mileage and it's more obvious when towing.
I don't think it has as much to do with the ethanol content as it does with just the quality of the octane rating.
In traveling across the plains, flat, no wind, through several tanks of gas I consciously experimented with gas brands - always buying E10 same octane. The "no name" stations consistently gave me 1 or 2 MPG less than Chevron, or other "top tier" stations.
Here's AAA's research on the subject:
AAA: Not All Gasoline Created Equal | AAA NewsRoom
Note the other links at the bottom of the article
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:54 AM   #7

I agree with Buddy Ray's comment. I also notice a decrease in MPG when I buy "off brand" gas when I'm on the road. I always try to find a top tier station, but sometimes you just no choice when you're traveling.

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:01 AM   #8

http://www.toptiergas.com/media/TOP_...ail_Brands.pdf
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
And that as the outside temp varies, it takes longer, or much longer, to warm up your engine to get it to the point where it is running most efficiently. Here in Minn., I can see up to a 15% drop in milage just between 30 degree days, and -10 degree days.
X2, almost every pump around my place is E15. If you read the fine print it states it contains at least 15 percent ethanol. I have a number of friends that are engineers at refineries, that stated E15 commonly varies between 15 to 20 Ethanol in the blend.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #10

As a boater, I'm always concerned about ethanol in gas. You can test it yourself with this: Order Quik Check Solution-QCS. This way you don't have to rely on what the pump says which, apparently, is not always accurate.

There is lots of information here: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada. There are several stations selling pure gas; you just have to know how to find them.

Corn belongs on your dinner table--not in your gas tank!
Old 01-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #11

Ethanol is a scam, a way to pay off farmers for votes. It does not help mileage, or the environment and cost more. That given, when traveling cross country on my Harley I found I got the best mileage and performance with Shell gas, compared to other name brands or off name brands. Guessing it has to do with the quality of the refining, the additives and turn over of the fuel. Old fuel always gave me issues. I always try to find a station that has a high volume and a name brand.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
As a boater, . . .
What does being a boater have to do with it?

Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
What does being a boater have to do with it?

"Smaller" engines, like outboards can have real issues with ethanol. Older engines have seals and gaskets that degrade in alcohol. If you don't burn through a tank of gas fast, or store it over the winter, ethanol fuel is subject to "phase separation", which can stop an engine dead in its tracks. As well as the tendency of oxy fuel to form gum in the carburetors, etc. So a lot of boaters are very cautions with what kind of fuel they get (as are lawn mower, snow blower, etc. owners).
Myself - i use a stabilizer, and haven't had any issues. But after having to replace carbs on my snowblower due to gum (not fun at -10), I either always stabilize or buy non-oxy fuel.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #14

If I want pure gas I have to go to the boat dock at a local state park. I keep a 5 gallon can of it at home for all of my smaller motors... ones that sit idle depending on the season. I still add Sta-Bil to it, but without the ethanol I don't have to replace as many carburetors.

It has less energy per gallon than pure gas, so you'll end up burning more fuel to travel X distance. My new snow blower says in the manual that they will void my warranty if I use more than 10% ethanol. I wish it was easier to get pure fuel... I also use that link that was posted above.

When gas hits 5 dollars a gallon again, I expect E10 will be replaced with E20.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #15

Fishermen beware: ethanol fuel is deadly for outboard motors - AllOutdoor.com
It has been 3 years since this article, but when they initially put ethanol in gasoline in the 90's, boat fuel tanks were dissolving and DESTROYING motors. I had a flybridge fisherman during this period and no fuel pump diaphragm failures until alcohol. 5 or more failures, and some way offshore in the next 10+ years.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
If I want pure gas I have to go to the boat dock at a local state park. I keep a 5 gallon can of it at home for all of my smaller motors... ones that sit idle depending on the season. I still add Sta-Bil to it, but without the ethanol I don't have to replace as many carburetors.

It has less energy per gallon than pure gas, so you'll end up burning more fuel to travel X distance. My new snow blower says in the manual that they will void my warranty if I use more than 10% ethanol. I wish it was easier to get pure fuel... I also use that link that was posted above.

When gas hits 5 dollars a gallon again, I expect E10 will be replaced with E20.
I don't see how they can do that when most engines aren't designed for it. I know that I've never had a vehicle that would take more than 10% ethanol - they are very specific about it. The only gas pump in town here is 87 octane mid grade with 10% ethanol. I haven't explored Sterling to see where I could get "pure" gasoline.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:49 PM   #17

Check out this web site to locate gas stations in the US and Canada that sell ethanol free gas.
pure-gas.org
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #18

I also have an outboard with a 2015 150 hp Yamaha 4 stroke. It specifically states that it can run E10. I think outboard manufacturers are facing the reality that ethanol free fuel is quite hard to find nowdays - and at least around Lake Lanier Georgia - .20 to .50c more per gallon. The Yamaha is fuel injected and the pumps, seals, gaskets, etc. are made of improved materials.

That said, Ethanol DOES still cause fuel to break down faster as has already been pointed out - I understand that's worse around high humidity. So I ALWAYs run StaBil in the tank and try to run the tank dry before I put the boat away for winter.

But I'm also having a :facepalm moment realizing why I keep having to rebuild the carburetors on my chain saw and weed eater. Gotta remember to put staBil in those cans in the future as well.

Speaking of that - I've discovered that you can buy brand new carburetors for pretty much any small engine made today, from China, on E-bay for around $12 with free shipping. Takes up to 4 weeks to get them (they send them by post from China) but they work great, cost less than a carb rebuild kit, and are a whole lot easier to replace than rebuild. I have a new spare for both my Ryobi weed eater and McColloch Chain Saw sitting on the shelf.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post

Corn belongs on your dinner table--not in your gas tank!
Preferably in the form of steak!
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #20

I have learned a lot from you guys on this issue. Thanks a lot. I did experience an all time high indicated high MPG of 29 (indicated) that came and went with a single tank of gas. I can't duplicate that number with any brand of premium fuel. The best I can do is 26 and change. My 2.0 L Ecoboost Escape seems to be really sensitive to variations in Gas and I can't keep it happy with Shell or Exon Premium. But, when it's good, it's great!
Campers & Fishers is offline   Reply With Quote