Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-20-2015, 12:53 PM   #11

I removed my K&N and replaced it with a Ford/Donaldson AIS. And the stock 7.3 transmission cooler is really small. My 6.0 is a 26 row, but I think they made one with over 30.

cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #12
Site Team

When I bought my old 7.3, it already had an extra tranny cooler. I think that transmission was the weak link to a bulletproof engine.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
When I bought my old 7.3, it already had an extra tranny cooler. I think that transmission was the weak link to a bulletproof engine.
x2
Old 11-20-2015, 02:46 PM   #14

With my 7.3 I went through two transmissions under warranty and when I had to buy the next one I went with the B-D performance transmission out of Canada. Larger ports and larger pan among many different parts. 200,000 on it and not a hitch.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:32 PM   #15

A couple rebuild shops on a Ford diesel forum had great reputations for beefing the 4R100 to near bullet proof level, according to the posters. So about three years ago I checked the price. Both the California shop and the one in a southern state, can't recall which, charged roughly $3500. So last year I was going to make an appointment for the California shop as I was staying close to it that winter. Price had shot up to $5500! Same for the southern shop. So I'll be babying this one.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by finally03gt View Post
What's that trailer weigh?
My temp gauge moves, but stays on the cool side. Seems to be common with the 195* T-stat. I put in an EGT gauge, the others I plan to monitor with Torque (when I can get my OBD port working). I've heard the K&N's aren't great for turbos. The initial filtration level isn't high enough, and they get a bit restrictive once they start collecting. Today I installed a 3" down pipe and open element air filter. I'd like to get a trans cooler, but no time or money for it now. I do have some type of cooler mounted in front of the radiator, and I have trans. lines going to the radiator, so it's some type auxiliary cooler??
When loaded for Wyoming trip trailer weighed in around its gross (10K).

My K&N is large open-element like yours and is high performance:
http://www.knfilters.com/mobile/mPro...kBEiQAF8EFdeWM

I looked into several dash-mounted monitors/programmers but my early-99 OBD did not provide for several important temps including Trans temp. Therefore, I went with manual Autometer gauges (and love them).
dsmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by finally03gt View Post
In late December we are dragging the TT from Houston to central NM for a winter trip.
Am I reading this right...? You are leaving the warm south and headed into the frigid gates of desperation in the midst of winter? One of these things is not like the other...

Hope you enjoy the trip. About 2 months after you travel the wrong way we will be headed to Florida in February for a 2 week trip. Our first long tip with the new trailer and new truck.

I hope that both of us have incredibly boring drives to and from!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
I removed my K&N and replaced it with a Ford/Donaldson AIS. And the stock 7.3 transmission cooler is really small. My 6.0 is a 26 row, but I think they made one with over 30.
Mine is a Baldwin PA 2818?? huge filter and no box. So far so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Thats what I'm hearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith3 View Post
When loaded for Wyoming trip trailer weighed in around its gross (10K).

My K&N is large open-element like yours and is high performance:
K&N part 57-2531 information

I looked into several dash-mounted monitors/programmers but my early-99 OBD did not provide for several important temps including Trans temp. Therefore, I went with manual Autometer gauges (and love them).
Torque can do trans, but it takes a custom PID. As I understand it the problem with K&N is the oil concept. The filtration efficiency is low when first clean, so it's rough on the turbo. Then once the oil starts to collect a little and the filtration efficiency goes up, it gets restrictive. But that's all just reading on forums. No experience myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Am I reading this right...? You are leaving the warm south and headed into the frigid gates of desperation in the midst of winter? One of these things is not like the other...

Hope you enjoy the trip. About 2 months after you travel the wrong way we will be headed to Florida in February for a 2 week trip. Our first long tip with the new trailer and new truck.

I hope that both of us have incredibly boring drives to and from!!!
Thanks. Kids want snow for Christmas.
2011 Shelby GT500 (only thing it pulls is G's)
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited (DD's)
1995 F-150 short wheel base (Sold)
finally03gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:14 PM   #19

Combination of high-performance cold air intake and 4-inch exhaust makes my 7.3 PSD feel like a Porsche! Amazing acceleration response (and boost) with no chip. Great truck!
Autometer Gauges (EGT, Trans & Water temp, Boost)
K&N Cold Air Intake;
MBRP 4" Turbo Back Exhaust
Curt Class IV Receiver Hitch
Prodigy P3 Brake Controller; ProPride 3P Hitch 1400#
dsmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith3 View Post
Combination of high-performance cold air intake and 4-inch exhaust makes my 7.3 PSD feel like a Porsche! Amazing acceleration response (and boost) with no chip. Great truck!
now add a chip, respool the turbo where it starts working at idle,and add a Banks waste gate, of course now you need a performance tranny!