Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-27-2017, 06:14 PM   #1

General QuestIons

I apologize if these questions have been asked before but here I go:
1. Are tire pressure monitor systems necessary for a travel trailer? (2017 Jayco 23RLSW)
2. What is the recommendation for an observation camera that can be on all the time to monitor traffic at the rear of the travel trailer? Is a back up camera and an observation camera system the same thing?
3. Are camper specific navigation systems worth the money if I already have a nav system in my tow vehicle? (2017 Chevy Suburban)
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Vince and Peg
Kennedy (Bernese Mountain Dog)
2017 Jayco Jay Feather RLSW
2017 Chevy Suburban (max tow package)
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:40 PM   #2

I can really only answer question one. I would say no, as I have never had one. However, it is a good idea. When a tt tire looses air, the tire temps tend to go up, and you tend to shred a tire, which nearly always does a lot of damage.

As for question 3, I have thought about getting an RV specific GPS, but I have been using Google, and it works for me. I will research routes at home, set away points, print out maps, including zooming in on more challenging interchanges, and I'll send the maps to my phone, so I can pull them up each day as we go.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:51 PM   #3

Actually I am looking into a Rv specific GPS. After a couple times where the standard car or factory vehicle GPS lead me onto roads where it is not safe or not meant for truck and trailer to be at.

I spoke to a few other RVers and they all told me to invest in a RV or Truck specific GPS for safety. But always listen to your inner self too.

2017 Hummingbird 17RK (Sold)
2017 Jay Feather 23RSLW Sold)
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS

2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE (Sold)
2017 Chev Silverado 3500HD Duramax
87Yugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:01 PM   #4

I would say no to number 1, I have been pulling all kinds of trailers for many years and never had a blowout, make sure to always check pressures and buy the best tires.

Never felt the need for a backup/observation camera.

A regular old GPS has always worked for me, your GM nav will work great
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:10 PM   #5

I’ve only done 6 trips for about 3,000 miles. The camera thing I’d say no and trust your mirrors. The tire pressure I’m on the fence. My neighbor has one and it saved his butt. In Arizona it gets really hot and that system told him pressures were too high. He let some air out and avoided a failure. Where I travel, this one I may consider.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #6

a gps is a gps is a gps... some are better at routing than others... but not sure what is so "special" about an "RV" gps??? shows you what Wallymarts you can park at??? ;o)))

Maybe helpful if you don't plan out your trip before hand.. but with the internet on your phone you could look for what you need that way... not sure I could justify another $300 GPS... especially if you have on in the TV...

on the fence on the TPS for the trailer.. seems like you need to have a repeater etc... buying new tires every 4 years helps, but if you have a rim leak or hit a nail etc... I can see a TPS being pretty valuable..
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #7

Just received a new Garmin today. Have several but each upgrade offers something new. Last one was a medium screen and was easy to use and had a lot of good navigation features. I was having trouble with the touch screen so I wanted a new one with voice commands for use when we were on the road. The new one has a 6" screen and the voice commands I wanted for $178 on Amazon. Got it registered and loaded with the 2018 map update.

Now the news on the last one. Did a google search asking about problems with the garmin touch screen and I found instructions on how to re calibrate the screen with a couple simple steps. Works fine now so that one is going into my wife's car. Her hand me down will move to my daily driver.

Have never seen the need to spend the $$$'s on an RV specific gps. Do a little preplanning before you leave home and get a decent idea of your route. That way if the GPS tries to route you thru some questionable areas, you can schedule a detour before you get where you don't want to be. Also good to check the CG website as they often will alert you to common miss routing that GPS is giving for directions to their entrance.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #8

I have shopped TPMS, guessing a change to metal valve stems and rebalancing costs would be a factor. Good tires and checking pressures at the start of each day goes a long way, but hazards will probably push me to getting a system.

Rear cameras seem a great idea if you travel solo. Not sure I would benefit from a full time display.

A GPS is great, better than running up data usage on your phone. If you venture off the interstate a lot, they'd be helpful for sure.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #9

I use a TPMS. It gives me constant read outs of pressure and temperatures. I've read many Posts where it saved substantial damage by giving a warning except in the event of a sudden blow out due to a nail etc.

My FW is wired for a back up or rear camera but I don't use one.

I use an RV GPS. It allows me to put in my length, width, height and weight. it is supposed to keep you away from a potential problem such as low bridges. So far it has worked well.

Are any of these necessary, probably not. People have been towing for decades without them. For me, it adds to my comfort level.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:30 PM   #10

A truck/RV GPS allows you to program your dimensions, weights and propane. Which could come in handy. I use a Garmin RV specific GPS. 660 model? I like it. It also has all (or a lot) of RV campgrounds and service areas programmed in. You can also switch between RV and Auto mode (great if you are pulling a trailer). Like all GPS's it isn't 100% but it does a pretty good job...
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:31 AM   #11

I use a TPMS and think it's cheap insurance. It won't necessarily prevent a blowout, but will let you know you have a problem immediately so you can pull over and minimize damage to the trailer.

Had a backup/observation camera and rarely used it. I prefer my mirrors to let me know whats around me, especially when backing. DW is always back there as an observer too.

My choice is RV specific GPS as you can program it with height, weight, restrictions, etc. and generally avoid getting yourself in trouble. That said, I always preplan our trips, checking routes, bridge heights, etc., using a combination of tools, to ensure were as safe as possible on the road.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #12

Get one of these:

https://store.randmcnally.com/2018-d...oad-atlas.html

Plot your route on Google Maps. Then crack this open and verify your route will actually work for your setup. Afterwards keep this in your TV or Motorhome in case the you know what hits the fan and you need to improvise.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #13

Have a back up camera used it once, like mirrors better!Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Sunset Mtn..jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:03 AM   #14

The answers to your questions have as many variables as there are members on this forum. It all depends on your needs.
Question 1: The key word in your question is “necessary”. Is a TPMS “necessary”? The answer is always NO. No one needs one. I have one and it bring peace of mind. Will it prevent a flat or blow out? No. It just provides warning.
Question 2: The answer to that question is dependent on how you intend to utilize it. I recently purchased a vehicle with a rear-view camera. I do not feel safe to utilize it as a tool to assist in backing. Guess I’m just old fashioned.
Question 3: Again the answer is dependent on your need. I’m old, and in all my travels, I have yet to have a "need" for a GPS device. Once I got an I-phone, I have started utilizing the GPS function on it, not so much as a need, but just because I think “Siri” has a sexy voice! !!!

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
I use a TPMS. It gives me constant read outs of pressure and temperatures. I've read many Posts where it saved substantial damage by giving a warning except in the event of a sudden blow out due to a nail etc.

My FW is wired for a back up or rear camera but I don't use one.

I use an RV GPS. It allows me to put in my length, width, height and weight. it is supposed to keep you away from a potential problem such as low bridges. So far it has worked well.

Are any of these necessary, probably not. People have been towing for decades without them. For me, it adds to my comfort level.
X2 here.
I had a blowout on my 1st trailer and didn't know it, You should have seen the damage to the trailer. Insurance company totaled the trailer. NOW, I have a TireMinder. Love it. Much more peace of mind.
Wired for a Camera but don't use or need one. Perhaps some day.
As for the RV GPS, Car GPS's will not prevent you from going places you can not go with an RV. RV or Trucking GPSA's will. They let you put the data in that you require. Mine kept me from going down a road with a low bridge once.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Yugo View Post
Actually I am looking into a Rv specific GPS. After a couple times where the standard car or factory vehicle GPS lead me onto roads where it is not safe or not meant for truck and trailer to be at.

I spoke to a few other RVers and they all told me to invest in a RV or Truck specific GPS for safety. But always listen to your inner self too.

I have a Garmin GPS that is a dual use. It has setting for a rv or travel trailer. And a setting for vehicle only. Best money I’ve spent as far as a GPS goes. I think it was around 300$. https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-RV-GPS-C718.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polecat28328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:28 PM   #17

I'm shopping for an RV-specific for the upcoming year's travels. During my last trip of the season, Susie (my Garmin GPS) took me on a small narrow country path (wouldn't really call it a road) with a river on the right and a hill on the left. The occasional oncoming vehicle created a disaster!!!! I'll NEVER tolerate that again with my rig. I was afraid we were going to fall off the right side of the road.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by redenbacher View Post
I'm shopping for an RV-specific for the upcoming year's travels. During my last trip of the season, Susie (my Garmin GPS) took me on a small narrow country path (wouldn't really call it a road) with a river on the right and a hill on the left. The occasional oncoming vehicle created a disaster!!!! I'll NEVER tolerate that again with my rig. I was afraid we were going to fall off the right side of the road.

The 2 I posted on the link above were the 2 that I researched and had the best reviews. I am partial to Garmin but that’s what I would suggest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polecat28328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:50 PM   #19

Just commenting on GPSs, and a little off subject, I have them in my three vehicles. None is as helpful, accurate, up to date or convenient as our cell phones. And in the time it takes to plug in just the state, I can say "Driving directions to XYZ."
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:04 AM   #20

Vince, welcome to JOF!
1. TPMS is a requirement for me.
2. Our 5er doesn’t have a camera and I don’t feel the need (much).
3. The TV has GPS but I prefer Google maps and Allstays apps on the iPhone for navigation.

Safe travels!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote