Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2018, 07:57 AM   #1

Generator

Just purchased my first travel trailer. Jayco 195RB. Thinking about getting a Honda EU3000i generator. My only concern is where to put it while traveling. Do not want to put it inside camper or inside car. What do other people do?
Old 12-29-2018, 08:29 AM   #2

Here's an option, I think I'm going to get one for my 195RB.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Cargo/St...kaAhvcEALw_wcB
mharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:42 AM   #3

Before you buy the Honda, look at the Champion dual fuel generator. I run mine on propane and put the generator inside the camper while traveling. Propane is clean so the generator doesn't smell at all.

The a-frame mount is nice but it'd be a bear to take on and off if you wanted to secure it somewhere else while not in use.
sasiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:26 AM   #4

I have my Honda 2KW Generator secured in the tail gate corner of my truck bed. My truck has one of those hard folding and locked panel covers on it... All is sight unsceen until I drop the tailgate to use the generator.

I hookup my off-grid camper 30A Shore power cable to the generator using one of those RV30A to 15A long dogbone type adapters...

I normally only use my 2KW generator is during breakfast to recharge my 50% depleted battery bank from use during the previous day/night. This usually takes three hours of generator run time... I pull the generator out onto the dropped tail gate when being used...

Been doing this since 2009...

Works out great for my off-grid camping with my POPUP trailer...

Being out of sight and goes where I go makes the generator set pretty safe from thief... I never leave the generator at a campgound spot unattended...

Roy's image

Roy Ken

RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:41 PM   #5

AND, If you install a Micro-Air Soft start, you will be able to run everything on that 2KW Generator.
a 2KW Genny is much easier to handle than 1 3KW Genny.

I usually can run everything I need on (1) 2Kw Yamaha weighing 47 pounds with my Micro-Air Soft start. On rare occasions when running a lot more than the A/C, Refrigerator and lights, I will hook up the second 2KW Yamaha and run them in parallel.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:27 PM   #6

Honda's are nice but expensive, bought a 3500 Champion remote start 1000.00. On my third year works fine.
Attached Thumbnails
xxxcamper.jpg  
brettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:25 PM   #7

I have seen the trailer tray you are looking at, but would not want the generators out in the weather when not in use. I would have to build a cover of some kind. Running the generators up there would not be a good thing for me to do also. The duel fuel generators would be great, but there is a huge difference in fuel consumption between gas and propane. There is just not the same BTU's in propane as there is in gas.
I put our Honda twins in the boot of the travel trailer when not in use. The Hondas seem to seal up quite well and no gas fumes get out of the tank when they are in the off position.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #8

The trailer try would work good for me. We take our TT to our grandson's Go-Kart races for a place to cool off and not having to use the port-a-potty is nice. The pits open at 2 and we usually get out of there anywhere from 10 to midnight. Having it on the tray we wouldn't have to unload and load it up at the end of the night. I normally just put the generator in my truck but on race day his Kart and tools take up the bed of my truck.

I do have a cover for the gen but I store it in my garage for power outages.
mharrison is offline   Reply With Quote