Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #1

Generator box project.

Well I bought a new Champion 4000 Watt generator for camping at non-electric campgrounds or boondocking. It has a 30 amp plug in and for the price I couldn't beat it. As soon as it arrived I put in oil and gas and fired it up. Plugged in camper and began turning things on. I never had it trip and I had AC, all lights, refrigerator, TV, microwave and it all ran as it does on shore power.

So now I am pleased that it can handle running the trailer now where do I put this thing that weighs close to 100 pounds. A little searching on the Internet and here was my answer. I found this idea on a website once and then never could locate it again after that.

I had a cargo carrier in my garage so I built a box for the geni out of OSB. Bolted it to the carrier and put an all weather lock on it. I also purchased an anti-wobble hitch it's called to stop the rocking of cargo carrier when traveling and it works perfectly. Keep in mind that my hitch on camper is welded into the frame. Here are some pics after completion.
Attached Thumbnails
uploadfromtaptalk1372366644119.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1372366674517.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1372366694076.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1372366719689.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1372366743871.jpg  

2010 Jayco Jay Flight 28bhs.
2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #2

Good luck with the rear mounted generator cargo carrier. Alot of folks don't have good luck doing what you have done. Nothing back there is very strong, its totally out of sight from your view going down the rough bumpy roads, you may not even know if you have lost it until you pull into the camp site.

I suspect it is also going to get shook to death back there. Lots of shake rattle and roll on the rear of the trailers. hehe...

I also notice you have a contractor type generator as well which is not going to be very popular running at the populated camp grounds that allow the use of generators... You may be totally surprised where you may NOT be able to run your very loud generator - It certainly was not available for us to use anytime we wanted to on the East side of the US. Lots and lots of generator run time restrictions in place all over the place at the public camp grounds.... Private camp gounds you can do whatever you can get away with hehe... We usually find 8AM to 10AM and then again from 4:30PM to 7:30 PM at most generator allowed places.. Then at some of the Natl Forest areas it might be allowed to be run from 8AM to 8PM but not at all those places here on the East side of the US... We have never found a place that allowed you to run the generator after 8PM at night let alone all night long where you want to use your air conditioner...

Then you will run into the NOISE POLICE types... Sometimes even if you never cranked it up you get complaints hehe...

West of Miss River it is somewhat different what is allowed generator run times allowed...
You might want to check some of the places you are going to be camping at about the use of your generator...

Just some of my thoughts - These are just our experiences with running the generator at the public camp grounds...
Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #3

Roy B has it right. Those $500 contractor type gens are heavy, loud, and burn an unbelievable amount of fuel. You may get a fight from your wife before you hear from the neighbors. I'm guessing the 100lb estimate is way low. If it has a 5 gal tank, you have 40lbs just in the fuel. I had one and the 5 gal tank was estimated to give you 8 - 10 hours of run time. My Honda 2000 will run for the better part of 4 days on that amount of gas and my neighbors won't hear a thing.

New campers really need to check out forums like this one to get feedback on RV issues BEFORE they spend their $$. We often have different opinions but it will keep you from making bad decisions. If $$ are an issue, I would suggest getting a small 800 watt gen like the bigger contractor type. It will be loud but you can wait until late morning and run it for 2 or 3 hours to fully recharge your batteries for another night. Most RV'ers simply avoid the hot summer for planning a camping trip or they stay in a campground where they can plug to shore power.

To the OP, if you can take back the heavy beast and get your money back. If not I suspect you will use it once and it will spend the rest of its life covered by a tarp in the back of your garage.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #4

Yes they are louder than the red or blue ones but they drown out all the barking dogs
1985 21' Hi-Lo (Sold)
93 Yamaha G9A

Dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #5

If you've never used one of the contractor gens of 4kw or bigger, pull your lawn mower, the weed eater, and your chain saw up next to your deck and sit down to enjoy a glass of wine with your wife. That should take less than 30 sec to make it clear why they are a bad idea for camping. The fuel savings from one of the quiet ones will pay most of the extra initial cost in one season.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #6

Nice job on the box! Looks like you have enough room on that platform to make a bigger box and line it with some fiberglass insulation for sound deadening purposes. Make sure you maintain ventilation and use baffles around the vents to help abate the sound. I've seen some huge industrial diesel generators that you have to look for a tachometer to see if they are running or not. Don't let the naysayers take the wind out of your sails and run out to buy a $2000 800 watt generator...just use you noggin and soundproof the existing one. It could be a fun and informative learning experience.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #7

X2 on the box. I like the anti-Rattle device, it is so simple and should work great. I just might have to make one for the bick rack.

I do have to admit we were out earlier this spring and someone had that exact unit (ok it looked like that exact unit) and we were camping about 100+ feet away from their generator and it was noisy. I felt sad for the tenters next the generator. But at the price they are hard to pass up.

Happy Camping,

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #8

Lol I always get a kick out of the honda owners who have to talk down to those who don't own one! Just like chevy and ford guys ha ha. Sorry I don't have your money to spend on a generator

Mine is louder than your honda's by 20 db. I checked mine on a decibel meter from work and under load mine registers 80db at 20 ft. About like a moderate lawn mower. Wife and I both thought it would be louder. Inside the camper we could here it but even watch tv without noise issue. Outside it can be heard but I don't plan to run it all day either. This going to mainly be used at the $7 a night state and federal forest campgrounds (which we have a lot of in my area of upper michigan) for 2 hrs around noon to charge batteries back up. If it is hot maybe we will run more to keep cool but only if we are alone in campground which can often be the case around here with so many state forest campgrounds.

I will also admit my fuel consumption will be more but I don't plan to run it for more than it takes to charge my batteries.

I guess I am sorry I made the post. I will hold back from posting my ideas in the future. I posted this to offer ideas not be told I bought a piece of garbage and strapped to the back of a camper!

2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 06-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #9

Mcfarmall I wad actually thinking of doing that exact thing with some sound board. Just like you said I want to make sure the ventilation is good.

Jagiven if you have the means to make an anti-wobble hitch they work awesome I was amazed at the stability. Or you can buy them for $20-30 on amazon.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 06-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #10

I fall into the "I don't care what kind of Generator you have/purchase/use" camp. I do care emensely about my camping experience and certainly have disdaine for "camping neighbors" who selfishly disrupt campground harmony with their actions. I don't care if it kids playing yelling, loud music, loud partying or generators. Being considerate about the noise you produce, and it's effect on others that is all I ask for.

Now about Db leveled...Db increases exponentially. For instance 80Db is 4x as loud as 60Db...not 30% greater.

For what it is worth, I purchased my Honda EU2000i used on CraigsList for $600. For me it was and continues to be worth it.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #11

Timberghost don't let some posters get you down. The box and mount are nice. You sound like you will be using it during the day when others will be out. I don't enjoy the sound of a generator, and yes I do have one, but like you I don't use it all the time. I use mine only when the battery gets low. Usually 5 to 7 days or more. If you have neighbors you can always offer to let them recharge their batteries. They they should be more tolerant.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #12

Have to take issue with We Honda owners having our nose in the air. I listen to fellow campers both the ones I know and on-line. Yes they are a bit pricey but they perform and don't make enemies of your neighbors. I would do without a lot of camping amenties before I would do without my Honda.

Sorry if you took my comments as aggressive or negative, I was just telling the truth. I think your decision to go with a large heavy loud gen is a mistake. As the previous poster said, we must all respect our camping neighbors, not because of posted rules but because of common sense.

With that said, this is America and no one has to do things my way. Just trying to help you rethink the gen decision. PS I like your box.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #13

Timberghost, don't be dissuaded. I have that same generator and its not as noisy as the "contractor" types. Some people see something not a Honda and jump all over shouting louder than your geny. Granted, the Hondas are very quiet and now with some serious competition from Yamaha and now Champion (our brand in this thread) I expect you'll see some prices drop during the next year.

2010 Jayflight 29RLS
2006 Ford F-250 Superduty 6.0 diesel
Equalizer hitch

Recondite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:31 AM   #14

Good luck with the new generator. We used to haul ours in the truck bed but haul it on the back of the camper now. If it has a fuel shut off use it. We flooded ours the first time we hauled it back there from more bouncing.
Farmer Dave is offline   Reply With Quote