Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2018, 10:20 AM   #1

Generator ground-neutral bonding question

I just recently picked up a Champion 3400W Inverter Generator (model 100261) and I won't be able to try it out until spring when the batteries are put back into the trailer.

I'm trying to determine if the generator is or isn't ground-neutral bonded, and whether I will need the little ground neutral bonding plug or not.

I have a Progressive Industries hardwired EMS installed in the trailer. Apparently it tests for ground neutral bonding.

Apparently the Canadian models of Champion generators ARE bonded? Does this mean the US models are NOT? My genny is an American model.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:32 AM   #2

Yes, you'll probably need a bonding plug if you want to use the EMS in protected mode. I'm not aware of any consumer-type generator (US models) that is ground/neutral bonded. I know it's definitely necessary with the Champion 3100 inverter and the smaller Honda inverter generators. Otherwise, you will get an E2 error with the PI EMS. You can run the EMS in bypass mode if you'd prefer not to use the bonding plug.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #3

From the Champion website:

Champion Power Equipment - Disconnecting the Neutral Bond to Frame

It's saying Canadian models come with the ground neutral bond, to meet CSA safety standards. So it sounds like Canadian models wouldn't have that issue, but do require a 30A plug adapter to plug into your trailer power cord, which is exactly why I wanted the US model. If you lose the adapter, you're screwed. So either way it sounds like an extra component is needed... They advertise these as "RV ready"... not really?

There must be a way to hard wire the ground and neutral together without taking up an outlet with a jumper plug.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
. . . There must be a way to hard wire the ground and neutral together without taking up an outlet with a jumper plug.
A bonding plug merely bonds the ground and neutral terminals together. Maybe you could simply place a jumper between the ground and neutral terminals "behind" the 15-20 amp outlet panel on the Champion. Electrically that would do the same thing as plugging in a bonding plug on the exterior panel outlet. You may want to place a sticker on the outside as a reminder (for you and subsequent owners) that the mod has been done.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #5

Where does one buy the grounding plug, or how does one make a grounding plug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
Yes, you'll probably need a bonding plug if you want to use the EMS in protected mode. I'm not aware of any consumer-type generator (US models) that is ground/neutral bonded. I know it's definitely necessary with the Champion 3100 inverter and the smaller Honda inverter generators. Otherwise, you will get an E2 error with the PI EMS. You can run the EMS in bypass mode if you'd prefer not to use the bonding plug.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #6

Hi we just ordered the same inverter 3500 #100262 last week.We did go ahead and order the parallel hook up with 50 amp plug.Was Champion tech support able to answer you question?
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:31 PM   #7

I haven't bothered calling Champion tech support yet on this. Maybe I will. I think I am going to need the bonding plug though based on the research I've done. Either that or bypass the EMS for the times I'm on generator power, but I'd rather not do that. If I need the plug I will likely order an extra for backup, and look into doing a hard wire bond mod. From what I've read it sounds like if you are going to use the genny to feed into your house system via a transfer switch, you do NOT want it bonded.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #8

Just buy a male extension cord end. Use some 12 gauge wire between the ground and neutral pins. Plug into one of the outlets.
Easy and less than $5
Old 02-23-2018, 03:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
I haven't bothered calling Champion tech support yet on this. Maybe I will. I think I am going to need the bonding plug though based on the research I've done. Either that or bypass the EMS for the times I'm on generator power, but I'd rather not do that. If I need the plug I will likely order an extra for backup, and look into doing a hard wire bond mod. From what I've read it sounds like if you are going to use the genny to feed into your house system via a transfer switch, you do NOT want it bonded.
I'd suggest powering up your trailer with the generator (with no bonding plug) and see what happens. I've done that numerous times accidentally. If your generator is not bonded, the EMS simply faults with an E2 error with no drama, damage, or smoking wires. It's a good test of the EMS if nothing else.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:22 PM   #10

That's the plan, just have to wait till I dewinterize and put batteries back in. That will be a couple more months unfortunately.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:35 PM   #11

Here is a link to a great video that should answer most questions on Testing & Bonding a Floating Neutral Generator and using EMS with it.

https://youtu.be/M-bTLdMjuqU
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote