Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2021, 11:12 PM   #1

Generator over power trailer?

Can I hurt my trailer by using a 7000watt running generator? I guess my 3400 running won't power my ac unit. Trailer is a 2018 jayco eagle ht 324bhts. Thanks.
Hively04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:51 AM   #2

Larger Generator

7000 watts, No Problem, as long as you are using the proper connector / plug. Don't try to run anything substantial with a 20A household plug style adapter.

What happens when you say "Won't run it"?

I would think a 3400 watt generator would start and run a single standard roof A/C unit. Do you have other loads, such as electric water heater going?

I have a Champion 3400 watt genny that runs one A/C just fine, but I have to watch what I run while doing so.

TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:20 AM   #3

I have no a 13,500 roof top AC that I run with a Champion 2500watt duel fuel inverter. I did install a MicroAir soft start though. Runs AC, but nothing more.
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:05 AM   #4

The 3400 will work fine if you only have 1 AC unit. I used to run mine that way all the time. I rarely had to invoke any "power management" techniques with that setup. It was a 28BHBE with 1x 15K AC unit. As a habit, I ran the fridge and water heater on gas only when I was running the generator. The water heater on electric is a power HOG.

I guess I did use SOME power management, but not necessarily because I needed to, more out of habit. Like if I was running the AC, and the Keurig, I wouldn't run the microwave (couldn't). Even now, when on generator, I prioritize the AC units. If there's an option to run an appliance on propane, I use it that way. If DW needs to use her hair dryer, I might have to toggle a couple things, but thankfully that's pretty rare.

Remember, if your unit is 30A equipped, that's your limit anyway, so the 3400 will be fine. If you're trying to run a 50A unit wide open with full functionality, you'll need the 7KW generator assuming it is or can be equipped with the proper 50A plug-ins for the camper.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #5

Any generator will work like your connected to shore power. The big difference in the two generators, is the overall output capability. Very much like connecting a 50 amp camper to a 30 amp shore power outlet. You only get 30 amps before tripping the breaker. If you overload the generator, it trips an internal circuit breaker and shuts down. No big deal. Reset the breaker and start it back up.

Your 3400 watt generator, provides something around 25 amps continuous load. The 7000 watt generator can provide about 50 amps continuous load.

My TT has a single AC, and have a 30 amp shore power configuration. With a 3400 generator, we have absolutely no issues running like normal. If we want to microwave something, we must turn the AC off for a few minutes, no big deal, we do this normally.

The bigger issue is your choice of generators. Bigger the generator the louder it will, both just sitting idling and under load. Generator selection. Most people pick a generator based first on capacity then on price.
  • This can lead you to purchasing a Construction Grade Generator.
  • These are extremely noisy. They also do not produce clean electrical power.
  • This is harmful to modern electronics.
Make sure to purchase an inverter style generator.
  • Quieter, and improved electronics for clean electrical supply.
  • Initial cost is greater.
If you want to use your camper like your hooked to shore power, get an inverter generator that is sized for your camper's power needs. If all you want to do is charge the batteries, maybe run a single AC unit, watch a little TV, size it smaller. Also consider 2 smaller generators that can be paralleled. Run one if that is all you need, run 2 if you need full power capability. Lighter weight, easier to find a storage spot. Down side there is more upfront costs.

Good Luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:27 PM   #6

Camper_bob when you ran off the 3400 watt generator with a 15k AC unit did the AC unit have soft start?
thelfrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:58 PM   #7

The RV only draws the power it needs. The 7500 watts is what the generator is capable of delivering.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelfrich View Post
Camper_bob when you ran off the 3400 watt generator with a 15k AC unit did the AC unit have soft start?
No, but I did install a Supco start capacitor. Helped a little maybe; NOTHING like a true soft-start like the Micro-air.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:50 AM   #9

We have 3400W dual fuel Genny. Don't recall what size our AC is. We are just using the start standard capacitor. The generator has no issues with starting and running the AC.

Not AC brand specific;
13.5K AC
  • 2750 watts - Startup
  • 1250 watts - running

15K AC
  • 3500 watts - startup
  • 1500 watts - running

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:43 PM   #10

We just bought a 2007 jayco jay flight and want to purchase the harbor freight Predator 3500 watt inverter generator - is this sufficient to run everything in the RV
Ednaandrambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:43 AM   #11

3500 generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ednaandrambo View Post
We just bought a 2007 jayco jay flight and want to purchase the harbor freight Predator 3500 watt inverter generator - is this sufficient to run everything in the RV

Should run a single AC ok but you may have to limit using your other large loads such as electric water heater, toaster, hair dryer, etc, while doing so.
Also it looks like you would need an adapter to plug your 30A rv cord into it.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Any generator will work like your connected to shore power. The big difference in the two generators, is the overall output capability. Very much like connecting a 50 amp camper to a 30 amp shore power outlet. You only get 30 amps before tripping the breaker. If you overload the generator, it trips an internal circuit breaker and shuts down. No big deal. Reset the breaker and start it back up.

Your 3400 watt generator, provides something around 25 amps continuous load. The 7000 watt generator can provide about 50 amps continuous load.

My TT has a single AC, and have a 30 amp shore power configuration. With a 3400 generator, we have absolutely no issues running like normal. If we want to microwave something, we must turn the AC off for a few minutes, no big deal, we do this normally.

The bigger issue is your choice of generators. Bigger the generator the louder it will, both just sitting idling and under load. Generator selection. Most people pick a generator based first on capacity then on price.
  • This can lead you to purchasing a Construction Grade Generator.
  • These are extremely noisy. They also do not produce clean electrical power.
  • This is harmful to modern electronics.
Make sure to purchase an inverter style generator.
  • Quieter, and improved electronics for clean electrical supply.
  • Initial cost is greater.
If you want to use your camper like your hooked to shore power, get an inverter generator that is sized for your camper's power needs. If all you want to do is charge the batteries, maybe run a single AC unit, watch a little TV, size it smaller. Also consider 2 smaller generators that can be paralleled. Run one if that is all you need, run 2 if you need full power capability. Lighter weight, easier to find a storage spot. Down side there is more upfront costs.

Good Luck
This response should be a sticky. You explained it better than anything else I have read anywhere.