Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #1

Question Generator Question

Good afternoon all. We're new to the forum and were hoping a question could be answered. We've found a 2005 Jay Flight for sale online that we were going to go and take a look at this weekend. The question has to do with the need for a generator. The fridge, water heater and furnace all run off the gas. If we wanted to buy a generator just for charging the batteries for the TT, what size generator would be needed or would one be needed at all (assuming of course we're dry camping). How long do the batteries generally last while dry camping? We are not concerned with running the A/C, we wouldn't use the generator for that. Sorry if the question seems trivial, we're new to this whole world of travel trailers in general, just trying to gather as much information as possible. Thanks again for any help.
sean4nene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #2

You can get a Honda 2000 generator for about $1,000. It only weighs about 46 lbs and will power your camper and charge it's battery. It's also very quiet, hence the hefty price tag.

How long the batteries last is too complicated to answer because it all depends on your situation and use. Our generator hours are usually something like 9-1 and then 5-9. Something along those lines. We fire the genny up for all of those hours.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #3

A 1000 watt generator will work for charging your batteries. How long will the batteries last is hard to say. If you are running your furnace, the blower will drain your battery in a few days. I have had a battery last 12 + days during the summer. We had LED lights and very limited electric use. Getting an additional battery may work better for you.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #4

Do you plan on running the microwave?

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean4nene View Post
Good afternoon all. We're new to the forum and were hoping a question could be answered. We've found a 2005 Jay Flight for sale online that we were going to go and take a look at this weekend. The question has to do with the need for a generator. The fridge, water heater and furnace all run off the gas. If we wanted to buy a generator just for charging the batteries for the TT, what size generator would be needed or would one be needed at all (assuming of course we're dry camping). How long do the batteries generally last while dry camping? We are not concerned with running the A/C, we wouldn't use the generator for that. Sorry if the question seems trivial, we're new to this whole world of travel trailers in general, just trying to gather as much information as possible. Thanks again for any help.
I use a champion 2000 watt inverter generator....
Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #6

Batteries, now that is a deep subject and is very difficult to answer how long they will last. It really depends on what you want to run will boondocking.

The first critical item to determine is what type, size and how many batteries you have. A true deep cycle will last the longer than a dual purpose battery. Then do you have two 6 volt golf cart batteries, wired in series? Typicallt they will last even longer. Basically it comes down to amp hours.

Second; what type of load will you applying to the battery? Running the furnace use a lot of power for the fan. How many lights are you using? What other power loads are you using.

With all that said, I have a small Interstate 12V dual purpose marine battery (icky battery), it is not optimal for an RV. When we first pickup our TT last year we went out for a 3 day weekend and the battery lasted close to 40 hours running nearly every incandescent light on in the trailer in the trailer when every we were in it, including the stereo. We have switched to LED lighting, but have not really tested it yet. I fully expect we will be able to go 6 days without being too conservative now with LEDs.

If you are very conservative, I have gone for 6 days without a charge up utilizing incandescent bulbs, and the gas for the refrigerator. We did used candles at night.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #7

2 votes for the Champion with Inverter. Check out supergenproducts.com They usually have some factory reconditioned 2000 watt units for $399 and they are really really quiet.

They also have a new unit that is a great deal. I wish this had been available before I bought two of the others. http://supergenproducts.com/shop/310...erter-presale/

Now after all that, if all you are looking to do is charge your batteries... nothing else, then I'd go to Harbor Freight and pick up a set of solar panels.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #8

Thank you for the responses so far. From what I have read so far I would get 2 batteries run in parallel for additional battery capacity. I don't think a $1000 dollar generator is something I want to budget for but 4-500$ I would think about. With that no we do not care about the microwave, I have been a "roughing it" camper for a long time where a flashlight, lantern and camp stove are the luxuries of the camp site. A couple of posts I think are really insightful as to how long we could go with conservative use and two batts in parallel. We are thinking 3-4 day trips being the average and we could probably handle that fine. I think a generator is in our future maybe just not yet. The champion you guys have spoke about sounds like something to look into as this would charge the batteries and let us have some A/C power while it is running, is that correct? Also how does that connect to the TT as I do not see the 30amp type connector, can you run a standard extension from it to the TT? Again thanks for the replies you guys are very helpful!
sean4nene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #9

Watch Craig's List. I got my Honda 2k for $600 from CL, in fact I see them quite often. I really like my Honda, absolutely no complaints.

I connect the TT 30A cord to the GenSet using a 15/20A-30A doggone.

We run Dual 12V CostCo Batteries. With heater use I charge daily, maybe not necessary but I have the Honda so I use it. With out heater I charge every other to every 3rd day. We are not real conservative with lights or other 12v power needs.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #10

I boondock as well. I wrote up what i did to maximize my batteries below. I have a Honda 2k as it would run the AC on my old trailer - today i would buy a Honda 1k.

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #11

We just plug the RV power cord to the champion 2000 watt gen, you just have to switch the fridge to gas to minimize the power draw of the gen. It will power all the outlets, lights, stereo, etc....just not all at the same time. It will not operate the AC and it will trip if you use the microwave since it is charging the batt at the same time. The Champion 2000 operates at 2000 peak watts and provides 1650 watts steady power. It is also very fuel efficient
Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #12

The Honda inverters are really a fine piece, albiet pricey. I have a 3000i Handi and it will run most things in the TT. A/C and Microwave at same time, no. Do reccommend a plug in voltmeter should always be in a prominent receptacle so you know what's happening especially if you are on shore power in the hot summer time. Not alll campgrounds have good power sources.
I had a transfer switch put in at the house and that Honda 3000i Handy will power up most critical circuits in the house when or if your power goes out ie: gas furnace, TV, lights, refrigerator, fans. I see a lot endorse the 2000. Check the features of this one out before you buy. 78lbs, quiet, long run time, low idle circuit, low oil shut down and built in wheels
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #13

Q1: If we wanted to buy a generator just for charging the batteries for the TT, what size generator would be needed? Q2:How long do the batteries generally last while dry camping?

A1: My recommendation is either a Honda (2000) or Yamaha (2000) generator. Yes, they are more expensive than others, but they are quiet and reliable. If you go cheap, you'll regret it later.

A2: It all depends. The general rule is that you don't want to use more than 50% of the battery amp hour (ah) rating. With a single, "standard" 12V RV battery (105ah), that means you will need to re-charge after consuming about 50 ah. If you're very conservative on your battery usage, you might get 2-3 days of use before a re-charge is needed. To increase the time between charging, you can use two batteries. If you do so, make sure both batteries are of the same type and in the same condition. For two 12V batteries, you'll be connecting in parallel and you calculate your total amp hours by adding the amp hours of each 12V battery. So, two 12V 105ah batteries connected in parallel yields approximately 210ah. For two 6V batteries connected in series, you don't add the amp hours as is the case for the 12V batteries -- your amp hours are as stated on the single 6V battery (eg, 210 ah).
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote