Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-10-2015, 07:48 PM   #1
Member
 
Tom_OC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Visalia
Posts: 46
Generator Question

Hello Everyone
The DW and I are headed to a State Beach this weekend with no hook ups. This is the first time we will not have hook ups and will need to use a generator. I am wondering.. do I just need to turn it on when using larger stuff. (Hair Dryer, toaster, TV? ) I am assuming you just plug it into the power cord from the TT and fire it up when needed. I have a never used Honda eu2000i.

Couple of things I think I already know is that the fridge will work on propane and the lights off the battery. Also the AC is out of the question, but not needed. Is there any definitely do or don't do advice I can use.
__________________

__________________

2014 Jay Flight 24 FBS
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 Laramie MC Turbo Diesel
Wendy the Wife & Bailey the Lab
Tom_OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
NVGun40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Eagle River, AK
Posts: 810
First, to answer your question. Yes. Just plug the generator in. A good safety procedure would be to start the generator first, then plug the trailer in and then turn the circuit breaker on the generator on.
Yes, you only need to run the generator when using the television, toaster, microwave, etc.

However, consider this. DW and I and three teenagers recently spent 6 days over memorial day weekend in a dry camp. Being careful with light usage and etc. we spent an outstanding six days dray camped, and managed to live comfortably on the onboard water, and batteries. No generator needed. No cell phones, no television, etc. we made toast in the frying pan, played card games and other board games (Beat the DW 6 games in a row of Mancala). Kids had a great time, so much so, we headed back out the next weekend to the same location and did another four day weekend.
__________________

__________________
We are just a humble drinking couple with a hunting and camping problem.
2015 White Hawk 25BHS Glacier Package
2004 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.7 Hemi, 5Spd Manual
2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,837
Some quick points:
1. When running on the genset, the batteries will be receiving a charge.
2. Disconnect the cord, let the genset cool (idle) down for a minute before shutting the engine off.
3. Be mindful of your total load. 2000 watts will run a toaster, microwave, hairdryer or a/c. But no two at the same time.
__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:15 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Aurora CO
Posts: 2,336
Depending on the size of your battery and your DC demand habits, you may want to let the generator run for a while to charge the battery up, vs only running it for the 15 minutes to make the coffee and toast
__________________
Jim & Kim from Colorado

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:49 PM   #5
Member
 
charliebravo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Austin
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Some quick points:
1. When running on the genset, the batteries will be receiving a charge.
2. Disconnect the cord, let the genset cool (idle) down for a minute before shutting the engine off.
3. Be mindful of your total load. 2000 watts will run a toaster, microwave, hairdryer or a/c. But no two at the same time.
Not to hijack this post but what is the ideal generator size? Running AC at all times is a must. Would like to be able to support AC, fridge, two phone chargers, and an appliance at the same time if possible.

(PS: it took me a solid dozen times of seeing your profile picture before a realized it was you wearing a welding mask...and not a boat engine. )
__________________

TT: 2016 Jay Flight SLX 264BHW (first RV!)
TV: 2010 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L 4x4 w/ Max Tow Package
charliebravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:06 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebravo View Post
Not to hijack this post but what is the ideal generator size? Running AC at all times is a must. Would like to be able to support AC, fridge, two phone chargers, and an appliance at the same time if possible.
(PS: it took me a solid dozen times of seeing your profile picture before realized it was you wearing a welding mask...and not a boat engine. )
That avatar is my idea of a selfie!

Running a portable genset 24/7 = bad idea. We used to do that when the grid was taken out by hurricanes. Burned up 2 of them. Now it's 2-4 hours around mealtimes. Top up the oil and gas before each-and-every restart.

If you have diesel power, then runs of 2-3 days are possible, with downtime of an hour or 2 to refuel, check the oil and coolant levels.

A 5KW genset will keep an A/C running well along with the microwave, toaster and fridge.

I will ask why you won't run the fridge on propane?

If you can reconsider running the A/C only during the hottest part of the day, you could run the genset only during those times.
__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Souderton, PA
Posts: 127
You may need an adapter to connect trailer to generator. The RV plug is different than the generator outlet
Bucko06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:56 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dale Hollow Lake Tn/Ky
Posts: 1,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebravo View Post
Not to hijack this post but what is the ideal generator size? Running AC at all times is a must. Would like to be able to support AC, fridge, two phone chargers, and an appliance at the same time if possible.

(PS: it took me a solid dozen times of seeing your profile picture before a realized it was you wearing a welding mask...and not a boat engine. )
There is no real good answer to your gen needs as defined. If all of that including A/C 24/7 is a must, then you would probably be best served staying in CG's with full hookups. You could do it with a generator and a modern Class A or better MH with an onboard gen could handle most of your needs, even the big rigs have restrictions on what you can run at the same time. Gens to run all that you describe are probably 5-6kw in size and come with a big price tag, lots of noise, and are very thirsty. Folks who do a lot of boondocking usually are more practical in their needs for a generator.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:08 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: St. Clairsville
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
That avatar is my idea of a selfie!

Running a portable genset 24/7 = bad idea. We used to do that when the grid was taken out by hurricanes. Burned up 2 of them. Now it's 2-4 hours around mealtimes. Top up the oil and gas before each-and-every restart.

If you have diesel power, then runs of 2-3 days are possible, with downtime of an hour or 2 to refuel, check the oil and coolant levels.

A 5KW genset will keep an A/C running well along with the microwave, toaster and fridge.

I will ask why you won't run the fridge on propane?

If you can reconsider running the A/C only during the hottest part of the day, you could run the genset only during those times.
When going to NASCAR races we used to sit Honda eu3000s, as many as three in a row, in one spot to run different campers and electronics. They were started on Sunday and shut off the next Sunday or Monday without any issues. Just keep them full. I have also done that with two eu2000s in parallel by converting them to run from a boat tank. It is possible to run them nearly all the time for periods of time.

The other thing in your camping location to look at is the hours you can run the generator and if they require a certain decibel limit. If you need to run the generator to charge batteries, I would carry a battery charger. The converter's trickle charger won't do much.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtho1 View Post
When going to NASCAR races we used to sit Honda eu3000s, as many as three in a row, in one spot to run different campers and electronics. They were started on Sunday and shut off the next Sunday or Monday without any issues. Just keep them full. I have also done that with two eu2000s in parallel by converting them to run from a boat tank. It is possible to run them nearly all the time for periods of time.
How many gensets did you go through in a season? Or just buy new ones each year?


Quote:
Originally Posted by djtho1 View Post
The other thing in your camping location to look at is the hours you can run the generator and if they require a certain decibel limit. If you need to run the generator to charge batteries, I would carry a battery charger. The converter's trickle charger won't do much.
Very good point. Neighbors!
__________________

__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.