Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrockport View Post
I bought this one because of the price and because it is dual fuel and large enough to run the 15,000 BTU A/C. I carry extra propane anyway for a fire ring so no need for gasoline. I had my neighbor help me load it into the pickup and I locked it to the bed. When we get back I'll have him help me get it down. 112 lbs is easier to get down than up but I prefer a soft landing.
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/3500w-...lp:product:1:1
Thanks! Do you run it from the truck bed? We have a camper shell, not sure that would work. Alas your model isn’t compliant with our crazy California laws ☹️
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #22

My Champion 3100 would not start our Dometic 13.5 ac every time. I installed a soft start capacitor and now everything is aok.
Your experiences may very with the same equipment that works well for others.
I have also used a Honda 2000 borrowed from a friend and it worked well, nice and quiet not heavy but would not run our ac in a 23b
The Champion 3100 is about 85 lbs, if I'm careful I can load it. Weight could be an issue for some though. I'm healed up from my last hernia operation.
Bob
380 watts of solar
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Thanks! Do you run it from the truck bed? We have a camper shell, not sure that would work. Alas your model isn’t compliant with our crazy California laws ☹️
I do run it from the bed of the truck but don't use it often or for very long periods so I just flip the tonneau back and crank it up. You are correct about the California ban. I think it has some parts that cause cancer in lab rats if eaten.
rickrockport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:19 AM   #24

I wish I could use my twin EU2000i gennys from the rear of my truck, but alas I can't. The way we boondock, we can't. The big use of our TT is for fall football game weekends, and early in the season it gets way too hot, and sometimes too humid to not have the AC going all the time. And late in the year, we need electricity to run the electric heater due to the cold.

Therefore I have to off load the genny's each time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrockport View Post
I do run it from the bed of the truck but don't use it often or for very long periods so I just flip the tonneau back and crank it up. You are correct about the California ban. I think it has some parts that cause cancer in lab rats if eaten.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:26 AM   #25

KSH Marine makes generator specific aluminum boxes that one can mount where they need to. The generator not only carried in the box, but with a couple of side panels removed, can run right inside the box. Safe, Secure, and out of weather. I use one for a Yamaha EF2000. Have used it year round for 3 years. They will custom make any box to match up to any generator. Now to be fair, this really only works with the enclosed cabinet inverter type gen sets. Open frame would not have the proper air flow thru them to make this work.

https://kshmarine.com/photo-generator-boxes/
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:29 PM   #26

Hard to beat a Champion. You can spend a lot more money on a Honda but but the champion will do the job. Since it's your own property just get a 3500-5000 watt regular generator, 100-150ft of extension cord and a board. You won't even know the thing is running. We do it all the time. Yes I'd like to have an Inverter but at 3-4x the cost. Not really worth it.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #27

If your on a piece of property and noise is not an issue, than as mentioned, a regular generator (not an invertor) may fit the need just fine. You can pick up a powerful one (5k) a heck of a lot less than an invertor unit. If you decide on a regular unit you might want to get some kind of surge protection, I'm not generator expert but I thought that regular generators are fine for construction sites where they run power tools, worklights etc...
but for running the trailer, the variable wave of the power produced might cause issues with any piece that has an electronic component. Others might be able to chime in with better information. Maybe I'm full of hot air.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegill1 View Post
If your on a piece of property and noise is not an issue, than as mentioned, a regular generator (not an invertor) may fit the need just fine. You can pick up a powerful one (5k) a heck of a lot less than an invertor unit. If you decide on a regular unit you might want to get some kind of surge protection, I'm not generator expert but I thought that regular generators are fine for construction sites where they run power tools, worklights etc...
but for running the trailer, the variable wave of the power produced might cause issues with any piece that has an electronic component. Others might be able to chime in with better information. Maybe I'm full of hot air.
i've heard of problems but never experienced it. I have a feeling the manufacturing processes are better now and it's not as much of an issue. We run our camper at least 5-8 full days a summer on our champion 3500w regular gen with no problems. Generator never shuts down. I just keep feeding it fuel to keep the wife cool and happy.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote