Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2019, 07:30 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibra0078 View Post
Interesting so then you can't simply plug the 120V 30A (TT-30R) plug into a outlet which then feeds Into your house breaker with a 30amp breaker?
Right, at least not in Spokane, WA. I suppose I could have found some electrician to make something of this sort work, but code required going with a 240 volt, 30 amp plug. Generators with a 240 volt, 30-amp outlet will plug right into what we have. We just haven't gotten around to seriously shopping for one.
bleckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:41 PM   #42

A 3 wire cord with one end connected to the 4 prong plug ( using just 3 of the connections) on the house and a plug matching the 30amp plug on the generator can be wired up very easily. But if I understand correctly, you can only power up one leg in the house other the other with a 120v generator , not both. I’m pretty sure you can’t connect the Gen to both legs at the same time. I’m sure an electrician can explain.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:31 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
A 3 wire cord with one end connected to the 4 prong plug ( using just 3 of the connections) on the house and a plug matching the 30amp plug on the generator can be wired up very easily. But if I understand correctly, you can only power up one leg in the house other the other with a 120v generator , not both. I’m pretty sure you can’t connect the Gen to both legs at the same time. I’m sure an electrician can explain.
Technically you can - but any electrical appliance expecting 240 volts won’t be getting 240 volts and that is the biggest issue.

This is similar to using a 30amp to 50amp rv adapter except most rv’s aren’t wired to use 240 volts so it isn’t an issue.
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:11 PM   #44

Generators

Harbor Freight carries a new portable generator. It is rated at 3500 Watts start and 3000 Watts running. It can be paired with a 2nd one to provide 7000/6000 watts just like the Hondas. I have a friend with one and he is very satisfied with it. He powers his 32 ft fifth wheel with it while boondocking. It is on sale for $689.00 for the next three days. Jan 11,12,13[/B] (reg $779) It is worth a look.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-w...tor-63584.html

https://images.harborfreight.com/cpi...s/4_pls_01.jpg
2018 GMC Sierra Denalli 4WD 1T CC Dually Duramax/Allison Nav Sys,-Sun Roof-On Star-XM Radio
serfas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:44 PM   #45

If that Harbor Freight generator had a 240-volt plug, I'd run out and buy it and sell my Champion 3500! Seems to be rated as quiet as a Honda to boot!
bleckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:07 PM   #46

I like my 3100W Champion Inverter generator. Electric remote start and not too noisy. Some of the Champions are dual fuel. I didn't see that one or it was not available when I purchased 2 or 3 years ago.
Glen B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen B View Post
I like my 3100W Champion Inverter generator. Electric remote start and not too noisy. Some of the Champions are dual fuel. I didn't see that one or it was not available when I purchased 2 or 3 years ago.
Welcome to the forum.

I have the same generator and really like it.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:51 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
No, the Honda 2000's do not. Take a look at them. That is one of the reason I got the Yamahas. Like you, when I an done, I like to shut off the fuel to the carburetor so there is no fuel sitting in there.
I believe that the new Honda 2200 do a have a fuel shut off. Whereas the 2000 did not.
Walts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperTim View Post
I have a 2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 7 195RB TT
What would be the best generator I could purchase for it?
Thanks
The #1 tried and true brand is going to be Honda. They came out with a new EU2200i model which is close to or just a bit more than the 2000i in price. The difference being 200W more power but the same engine/footprint/quietness.

We just got 2 of them for $2,100 - the EU2200i and the twin "companion" model (30A outlet). I hooked them both up, plugged into the rig and had the DW turn the AC on - Success! We do have 2 15K AC units but CAN'T run both simultaneously. I did notice that in ECO mode, the gens faulted for a second and then recovered. I'm looking into installing a Micro Air soft start to mitigate that.

Considerations:
* Some parks have generator regulations regarding noise levels and hours of operation.
* Gas generators put out more power than LPG.
* Inverter generators put out cleaner power and scale power as needed vs. 100% throttle all the time.
* Since Honda is THE generator, there's TONS of support, service centers and parts for these.

Good Luck!
Old 04-22-2019, 10:41 AM   #50

X2...
I have the same, two Honda 2000. (One regular, one companion). Hooked together for lots of power. My AC allows me to run it on just Honda companion generator using the 30amp plug, as long as nothing else is on.
They are quiet and light enough that my spouse can move them and set it up if needed. Extended run gas tanks are available, but never needed one.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:24 AM   #51

I now have almost 200 hours on my igen4500df.

It worked flawlessly for about 2 weeks of continuous of operation.
(It will take multiple start attempts if the temp is below 45)

Here is a short video of my setup at Lakeland FL during Sun n Fun while the generator is running and it can run both of my 15K micro-air(d) a/c’s with about 6 amps left over for other items.

I purchased a scooter carrier at harbor freight and with it’s ramp and the generators built int wheel kit - I have the option of just running the generator on the carrier (but this has more vibration in the camper) or drop the ramp and roll the generator under the camper to protect it from weather. I also added 60lbs of propane to provide longer runtimes - but I found it easier to get gas and its built in 3.4 gallons ran for 12-20 hours depending on load and having the remote wireless start was very convenient if you wanted to shut it down at night and restart it in the morning - or one time to reset the generator when family overloaded it.

Youtube link

Note I need an adapter to use the campers propane - I have not located it yet. The generator comes with a safety regulator that won’t allow propane to flow if it doesn’t get the vacuum from the engine - of course this is metric and everything in the us is NPT - So I’m still looking so I can hook up the generator to both propane tanks simultaneously and the rv grill connector.

Currently you need to connect the generator directly to a individual propane tank if you want to use propane.
2018 F150 Platinum SC, FX4, 3.5-EB, Max tow - 12,700-Updates;Hensley Arrow 1400/14,000lbs, Battle Born Lithium 200ah, Victron Energy BMV-712 & VE 100/50, (6x160 ->960 Watts)- Flexible Renogy Solar, Micro Air Soft Start, RVlock, Westinghouse iGen4500DF, EMS-HW50C, Splendide WDC7100XC Washer/Dryer, Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL camera
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
Hmmm, the Honda's don't have a fuel shut-off valve?

All of the generators I've owned have had a fuel shut-off valve which I used every time I'm going to shutdown my generator. I shut the valve off and let the generator run the carburetor dry which helps to prevent aging gas from gumming up the carburetor, so I'm surprised the Honda's don't have them.

2edgesword - The Honda EU2200i generators come with a shut down feature. When you're ready to wind down, turn the switch from ON to FUEL OFF. It'll take a few minutes for the generator to burn off the remaining fuel in the carburetor before it dies. Then simply turn to the OFF position and pack it up.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:58 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettt View Post
How difficult is it to install hour meter.We have a 3500 Champion does it have an oil filter? Thanks

Hour meters are very simple devices. It requires 2 pieces - the meter and a wire. You wrap 1 end of the wire around the spark plug wire a few times and the other end slips into the meter itself. You can affix the meter to the generator with screws/bolts/double sided tape or zip ties. Just depends on the location and what your preferences are. I purchased a bracket to attach it to and it fits nicely inside the cover.
Attached Thumbnails
20190417_205106.jpg