Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2019, 01:10 PM   #1

generator question

I have a 2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 7 195RB TT
What would be the best generator I could purchase for it?
Thanks
Old 01-02-2019, 01:47 PM   #2

We generally camp below 7000 feet and find that the Honda 2000i is adequate to power lights and the A/C. If you try to add microwave it wont be enough and its iffy with a toaster or coffeepot..

We rarely use the microwave anyway..

What we like is the quietness of the genny. There are others cheaper and some similar to the Hondas but in our area the dealer only services Hondas.

It seems to do the trick when we need the furnace all day.. Running the furnace just kills the battery in a few hours.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:36 PM   #3

Pair of the Hondas would be great tied together. Use one as needed, two when necessary. (Sounds like a Doctor's Prescription)
I'm more a Class C type person but with your TT I would POSITIVELY check out the Champion line of gens.
Very price friendly, great options: dual fuel, remote electric start etc
Have not seen a single complaint on them. They're really progressive and taking more of the gen. market away from Honda & Yamaha.
Buy larger than you think you'll need and you'll always have "enuff"
Let us know which way you go
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #4

And I will counter with buy minimal for your needs. You can upsize later. Ours has the capability to be paired with another similar generator.

You will not die with minimal but if you find you want more power buy more power. Each pound mounts up and with your tow combination that does count. We have similar power and payload. We budget weight wise for bicycles. More important than excess power to us.

We have been camping for many miles with the minimal genny.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:14 AM   #5

I’m also very happy with a pair of Honda 2000’s. Lightweight, quiet, always starts up. I can run our AC with one, but if anything else needs power while the AC is on, then I need to run both. Small enough for loses of storage option and I can pick them up and move them without help.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
I’m also very happy with a pair of Honda 2000’s. Lightweight, quiet, always starts up. I can run our AC with one, but if anything else needs power while the AC is on, then I need to run both. Small enough for loses of storage option and I can pick them up and move them without help.
Excellent point made: the smaller gens are a whole lot less weight than one large one. Save your back.
Sure great choices in the gen market. Hard to go wrong with a good quality inverter gen.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:34 AM   #7

I have a Yamaha 2400ISHC generator. I choose it because it's "light" enough for me to load into my truck (75lbs) but has enough power to start/run my 13.5K A/C unit. There is some power management required. If you're going to run a microwave or coffee maker you need to turn off the A/C, run those other appliances and then restart the A/C. You do have to wait about 5 minutes after you turn off the A/C before you turn it back on (that can be while the microwave and coffee maker are running) to allow the high side pressure in the A/C line to diminish.

That said if you don't mind spending the extra dollars getting two Honda 2000's to run in parallel would be a good option since they are lighter (easier to move around) and if you only happen to need the power from one generator you only have to run the one and if one generator fails you have the other as a back-up.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:02 AM   #8

Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking about getting 2 of the Honda EU2000I generators. Where is the best place to buy them?

Considering weight and size it's better to buy 2 honda EU2000I generators rather than 1 EU3000I. Does everyone agree?
Old 01-03-2019, 09:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperTim View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking about getting 2 of the Honda EU2000I generators. Where is the best place to buy them?

Considering weight and size it's better to buy 2 honda EU2000I generators rather than 1 EU3000I. Does everyone agree?
I agree that 2 are better and lighter to move around than 1 3000 is.
However, I have the Yamaha EF2000iSv2. The thing I liked about these is that they have a fuel gauge and also, you can shut off the fuel to the carburetor during storage. You can't do that with the Hondas.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I agree that 2 are better and lighter to move around than 1 3000 is.
However, I have the Yamaha EF2000iSv2. The thing I liked about these is that they have a fuel gauge and also, you can shut off the fuel to the carburetor during storage. You can't do that with the Hondas.

Hmmm, the Honda's don't have a fuel shut-off valve?

All of the generators I've owned have had a fuel shut-off valve which I used every time I'm going to shutdown my generator. I shut the valve off and let the generator run the carburetor dry which helps to prevent aging gas from gumming up the carburetor, so I'm surprised the Honda's don't have them.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #11

We've got a Champion 2000watt model #73540i and it's worked well for our needs over the last 4 seasons. It does have a fuel shut off valve but no fuel gauge. At ~48lbs it's easy to get in and out of the truck bed and can be paired with another one for increased output. Note that Champion has several 2000watt models - some have 1600watt running output and some have 1700 watt running output.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
Hmmm, the Honda's don't have a fuel shut-off valve?

All of the generators I've owned have had a fuel shut-off valve which I used every time I'm going to shutdown my generator. I shut the valve off and let the generator run the carburetor dry which helps to prevent aging gas from gumming up the carburetor, so I'm surprised the Honda's don't have them.
No, the Honda 2000's do not. Take a look at them. That is one of the reason I got the Yamahas. Like you, when I an done, I like to shut off the fuel to the carburetor so there is no fuel sitting in there.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:52 PM   #13

Couple points, if you get 2 Honda’s get a standard and a companion. The companion has a 30 amp outlet plug. I use the 30 amp to run just the AC. Might be the same with Yamaha.
Some suggest that a generator be run every month or so to exercise the electronics, the stator or something..., I’m sure someone has more info on that. If that is the case, the gas getting old in the carb will never be an issue.
Speaking of gas, I only use ethanol free premium which limits damage from older fuel. I have only one station near us that offers that. It’s great for your lawn mower, hot rod, etc also, so I can rotate my gas.
And last point, a couple of decibels of sound can be the difference between quiet and requiring ear protection. A unit that is 5 decibels louder, is not just a little louder, it’s a lot louder. Get the quietest you can afford so you enjoy your camping, and so you don’t drive your neighbors crazy...
Old 01-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #14

My approach to gas and small engines is to run premium 91 octane mixed with Sta-Bil year round on all small engines. It doesn't cost much, and that way I know there is always stabilized fuel in all engines and carbs at all times. I store all my equipment with full fuel tanks as to minimize condensation in the tanks, and I generally haven't drained carb bowls either. I do maintenance runs on my engines too, just to exercise them and get the oil hot. Haven't had any problems, and in the spring when I go to use the mini-bike or quad or whatever, they run great on the fuel I stored them with. For years I didn't bother shutting off the fuel petcocks, but recently I decided to get in the habit of doing so. I also will throw a bit of seafoam through each one each season which is great stuff.

Extra point: when exercising a generator, start it up and let the engine run but also connect some sort of electrical draw to put a load on the coils. I use a heat gun with low and high settings.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:54 AM   #15

We utilize a Yamaha 2000 to power our rig. Mainly to give a batteries a boost or to utilize the convection oven/microwave unit. Admittedly, when used in the microwave mode it has tripped the circuit one time. Yet, when used as a convection oven all works just fine. As for the AC, we have never used the AC.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
My approach to gas and small engines is to run premium 91 octane mixed with Sta-Bil year round on all small engines. It doesn't cost much, and that way I know there is always stabilized fuel in all engines and carbs at all times. I store all my equipment with full fuel tanks as to minimize condensation in the tanks, and I generally haven't drained carb bowls either. I do maintenance runs on my engines too, just to exercise them and get the oil hot. Haven't had any problems, and in the spring when I go to use the mini-bike or quad or whatever, they run great on the fuel I stored them with. For years I didn't bother shutting off the fuel petcocks, but recently I decided to get in the habit of doing so. I also will throw a bit of seafoam through each one each season which is great stuff.

Extra point: when exercising a generator, start it up and let the engine run but also connect some sort of electrical draw to put a load on the coils. I use a heat gun with low and high settings.
Totally agree - I fill my 5 gallon gas cans with stabil first and then add the gas. I started doing this over ten years ago and haven’t had a carb issue since.

I would recommend the westinghouse igen 4500 and they just released a dual fuel version - I would have got that version if it was available to have more options.

As far as weight it is 97 lbs with out fuel 3.5 gallons adds about 20 lbs, currently I leave it locked in my truck bed under my locked diamond back hd tonneau cover.

I plan on moving it to a cargo platform on the receiver on my eagle TT and build a enclosure to protect it from weather but with good air flow
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post

Never put any fuel containing ethanol in any small engines or lawn equipment if you can help it. Moisture and condensation cannot mix with pure gasoline; it's the ethanol that allows it to happen. Additives will help but the ethanol is still there. This website: www.pure-gas.org tells you where you can get pure gasoline.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:30 AM   #18

If money is no concern by the Honda or Yamaha!You can by two Champions for about the same price as one Honda. On my 3rd year with a Champion 3500 remote start. Running fine. Thanks
brettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #19

Amazon.
mcwoods2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:41 PM   #20

This:

https://wenproducts.com/collections/...enerator-56475

I bought this a few years ago before I had an RV so not dual fuel but my AO is going to be at my building site so shouldn't be an issue.