Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2019, 12:44 AM   #21

We use a Champion 3200 gas inverter gen, with remote start. It powers up our 2017 White Hawk 27RL with the ac running and pretty much anything else we need no problem. Not much louder than the Honda or Yamaha, no need to link, plus I can turn it on and off from anywhere inside the coach with the remote. Used it for the past two seasons, no problems with reliability, just changed the oil and filter regularly. I did add a fuel gauge and a hour meter to it.
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #22

I run multiple Honda eu2000's in parallel to meet whatever power needs I have.

As others have stated, you cannot turn off the fuel and let the generator run to empty the carburetor because the fuel cutoff and ignition switch are one in the same. However, it is easy to drain the carburetor to achieve the same result. Using a flat head screwdriver, remove the outer maintenance panel on the side of the generator. Using the same screwdriver, loosen the screw on the bottom of the carburetor a few turns to allow the fuel to drain from the carburetor.

If you don't know where the carburetor is, you can identify it by looking for the fuel hose that run out the bottom of the generator case. Follow that hose from the bottom of the case up to where it ends. That is the carburetor. The screw to loosen is on the bottom of the fuel bowl...which is shaped like a little bowl...with a screw on the bottom.

Sorry I don't have any pictures with me.

I'm not fuel expert, but I can tell you my experience. I used my generators this weekend for the first time in about 2 years. When I put them away 2 years ago, they had half tanks of ethanol-laced regular grade unleaded gasoline with a healthy dose of Sea Foam. I drained the carbs before I put them away. I pulled them out this weekend, turned the fuel/ignition switch to ON, waited about 10 seconds, and pulled the cords. They each took about 3 pulls to start. I turned one off, drained its carb, and put it away. I used the other one to power my little 7-amp angle grinder all day (intermittently, several shutdowns and startups on the generator).

If I were buying generators, today, I would buy the cube-shaped Champion 2000-watt inverter generators.
2016 GMC 2500HD CrewCab SLT 4x4 Duramax
smithmdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:05 PM   #23

How difficult is it to install hour meter.We have a 3500 Champion does it have an oil filter? Thanks
brettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperTim View Post
I have a 2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 7 195RB TT
What would be the best generator I could purchase for it?
Thanks
Yesterday my 17 year old daughter “helped me” by using my remote start to warm up my truck so I could take her to work at the local Tim Hortons (coffee/donut shop) at 6:30 am. She had a teenage attitude attack because she couldn’t figure out the combination (lock - then start 2x) to get it to start so she started mashing all of the buttons in a fit. Unknown to me she released my tailgate and since I have a tonneau cover the tailgate didn’t immediately open.

So some where over the six miles (round trip) to drop her off My yamaha 2400is and my 8 month old iGen4500, my hunting bow, 5 gallon (full) gas can, electric chain saw, and who knows what else flew out of my bed never to be seen by me again (at least so far).

Mentoring notes are welcome - What would you have done, What would you do to prevent it, and if you were in the same situation what should be the repercussions to the daughter - Does she survive ; )

Anyway so I suddenly find my self in the market for a Generator for my RV.

Westinghouse just release a new version of the iGen4500 - the iGen4500DF (dual fuel) and in my opinion they did it properly they are using the standard RV propane connector so you can just use the propane grill connector on your RV without a regulator. Or you can use the supplied hose with the regulator at the propane tank connector end of the hose if you want to use a propane tank directly.

By using the RV connector you get the advantage of using your RV’s auto tank switch over to get extended runtimes. I’m estimating I could get upto 72 hours of continous running from my dual 30lb tanks. Plus I already installed the propeka bluetooth propane tank sensors that will beep when needing to be re-filled.

We have a dog so in my mind the extended runtimes provide some options, so that the A/C can be run keeping everything comfortable (including the dog) if we head out for the day.

It will also run upto 18hours (on gas it has 3.4 gallons built in) at 25% load at 52db or one of the quietest models out there

This generator also comes with a built in hour meter now, and remote start, wheel kit, and it fits under my locked tonneau cover or where I plan on keeping it on a cargo carrier locked to my camper with a custom built cover to protect it from the elements but provide good airflow.

This generator includes the 30amp RV plug and has enough capacity to supply 31 amps of power continously.

This can be purchased for $1050 delivered.

If anyone has a better suggestion please share.

Thanks
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:18 AM   #25

Oh my F. That's awful man, I don't know what else to say. Yes, it's just "stuff" and it can be replaced, but that is some nice and expensive stuff! I don't know what to tell ya, but all I can say is I feel for ya. Tough one.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:52 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
Never put any fuel containing ethanol in any small engines or lawn equipment if you can help it. Moisture and condensation cannot mix with pure gasoline; it's the ethanol that allows it to happen. Additives will help but the ethanol is still there. This website: www.pure-gas.org tells you where you can get pure gasoline.
X2
The guy who does my small engine equipment told me years ago the same thing. He reccomended the high octane Shell which is what I always use. Tiller, Honda Lawn Mower, Tecumseh Snow Blower all over ten years old and they all run great. Have never had a carb repaired or replaced yet.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Oh my F. That's awful man, I don't know what else to say. Yes, it's just "stuff" and it can be replaced, but that is some nice and expensive stuff! I don't know what to tell ya, but all I can say is I feel for ya. Tough one.
Thanks - I’m in the process of seeing if I can be re-imbursed via my home owners but I have a $1000 deductible but maybe I can minimize the loss.

I have to admit I didn’t see that event coming - my truck has sensors for nearly everything - trailer disconnected, door not shut, seat belts not on, etc. but nothing for tailgate is not locked/latched.
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:43 AM   #28

Looking in picking up the champion Dual 3400 inverter generator, I looked at honda 2000s and yes they are lighter but I really like how I can use the propane option on the generator and will mod it so I can connect it to the quick connect on the TT.
ibra0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:51 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibra0078 View Post
Looking in picking up the champion Dual 3400 inverter generator, I looked at honda 2000s and yes they are lighter but I really like how I can use the propane option on the generator and will mod it so I can connect it to the quick connect on the TT.

Just make sure to research how well the propane works, you may just end up using it on gas most of the time. Propane has a much lower BTU value so you will use more propane than you would gas. It’s also not a good cold weather option. Besides using your heating fuel up the unit could experience some freezing up issues.
Besides that, if I was going to buy another generator in that size range, the Champion would be my choice, mainly for the remote start option.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #30

Reviews are really good on the propane settings, yes it only gives out 3040watts when running on propane vs 3400 on gas. People have modified the hose to be able to connect it to their rig QC gas supply. I may still keep a 20lb tank in the back of the bed, I rather that then keeping a gas tank, much cleaner if you ask me. The remote start looks awesome but yet again so does the Dual fuel. I may be able to get away with a Honda 2000s to run my 13.5btu AC in my trailer if I add a hard capacitor, however it's really handy to have more power if you need it.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:09 PM   #31

Actually the newest model of the Honda, EU2200i, has a fuel shut off that allows fuel in the carb to burn off and then the engine shuts off. Same price as the EU2000i and 10% more power.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #32

All good information so far from everyone. We run a Champion 3500 with remote start, though I so far just push the button on the unit itself. The only thing I didn't see in going through the comments is the loudness. The Champion is several decibels louder than the Honda. In general, for every 10 pointy increase in decibels, the noise is "twice as loud." So, 60 is twice as loud as 50, 70 twice as loud as 60, and so on. I don't know, from a decibel stand point, how loud two generators running side-by-side are. Others can fill that in if need be.

We don't run our generator unless the microwave, toaster or AC is running, or we need to juice up the battery. The only thing I wish we had is a 240 volt outlet so I could plug into the house if we have an outage. We do have a 30-amp plug for that.
bleckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleckb View Post
All good information so far from everyone. We run a Champion 3500 with remote start, though I so far just push the button on the unit itself. The only thing I didn't see in going through the comments is the loudness. The Champion is several decibels louder than the Honda. In general, for every 10 pointy increase in decibels, the noise is "twice as loud." So, 60 is twice as loud as 50, 70 twice as loud as 60, and so on. I don't know, from a decibel stand point, how loud two generators running side-by-side are. Others can fill that in if need be.

We don't run our generator unless the microwave, toaster or AC is running, or we need to juice up the battery. The only thing I wish we had is a 240 volt outlet so I could plug into the house if we have an outage. We do have a 30-amp plug for that.
Why don't you just run a 30amp breaker to the panel with the RV plug into an electrical box? I planning on doing that.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #34

We had a 30-amp, 240 volt plug connected to our breaker boxes. I think the problem is going from the Champions 120v and standard household plug to the 30-amp, 240 volt plug on the breaker box, which is different from what plugs into the trailer, even though it's 30 amp it still 120v, with three prongs (I think) instead of four. We discussed in a thread I originated a few months back. What might be best so we can use our generator at home and with the trailer is to get one with a 240 volt outlet.
bleckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:02 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleckb View Post
We had a 30-amp, 240 volt plug connected to our breaker boxes. I think the problem is going from the Champions 120v and standard household plug to the 30-amp, 240 volt plug on the breaker box, which is different from what plugs into the trailer, even though it's 30 amp it still 120v, with three prongs (I think) instead of four. We discussed in a thread I originated a few months back. What might be best so we can use our generator at home and with the trailer is to get one with a 240 volt outlet.
Interesting so then you can't simply plug the 120V 30A (TT-30R) plug into a outlet which then feeds Into your house breaker with a 30amp breaker?
Old 01-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #36

Generator question

I have a 185RB and use a sportsman 1000 sold for $199 on sale .... Used 1/2 gal for 6-7 hours .... I run for 1-2 hours a day to top off my bat's as I use a 12 volt Cpap all night to sleep .... This thing is cheap and works like a champ
SAMM Kinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:16 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperTim View Post
I have a 2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 7 195RB TT
What would be the best generator I could purchase for it?
Thanks
I would go with a 3K Honda
redley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:27 PM   #38

This does me just fine.

Bought it at Sams for $400 a couple of months ago.

3 year warranty. Not going to used a lot as we don't do much dry camping.

Bought it also for any emergencies around the house to run the furnace or refridge if needed.

Quiet and does the job.

SUA2300i Digital Inverter Gasoline Generator | A-iPower
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:34 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibra0078 View Post
Interesting so then you can't simply plug the 120V 30A (TT-30R) plug into a outlet which then feeds Into your house breaker with a 30amp breaker?

Short answer is no. Hire an electrician, you need to make sure the generator power you are sending to the house does not go reverse out to the power lines and cause an issue (death)to the people fixing the power lines. The electrician will install a device making sure the incoming main breaker is off.

Even with that set up, a 120v generator will basically only power half the house, a 240v will power both halves, basically speaking.

Get a 240v generator if you plan on powering the whole house.

(I let someone else discuss details if needed)
Old 01-09-2019, 06:42 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
Short answer is no. Hire an electrician, you need to make sure the generator power you are sending to the house does not go reverse out to the power lines and cause an issue (death)to the people fixing the power lines. The electrician will install a device making sure the incoming main breaker is off.

Even with that set up, a 120v generator will basically only power half the house, a 240v will power both halves, basically speaking.

Get a 240v generator if you plan on powering the whole house.

(I let someone else discuss details if needed)
I'm aware of the Interlock Kit*and only powering half of the leg, I was leading towards more of the RV plug that already comes with the champion inverter. Can't one just use that and plug it into a TT-30R which then either feeds to a pony panel or to the main panel.