Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2014, 12:40 AM   #41

I run our ACs, Winnebago Warrior, or Jay Flight 26BH, with a Honda 2000i generator. It takes running Keurig Coffee Maker, Toaster, Microwave, or A/C only one at a time, but we get along fine. If the 2000i ever bites the dust, 4yrs plus now, we'll get a 3000i. I wouldn't consider anything but a Honda. The generator fits under the Jay Flight for some protection against the weather. I lock it with a bike lock to the trailer. Eco mode will charge batteries and power lights. Honda's are expensive, but then so are those fancy trucks you tow your trailers with. When I'm out there in the wilds, I sleep better knowing Honda is supplying power.
1990 Toyota- Winnebago Warrior
kuzbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzbro View Post
I run our ACs, Winnebago Warrior, or Jay Flight 26BH, with a Honda 2000i generator. It takes running Keurig Coffee Maker, Toaster, Microwave, or A/C only one at a time, but we get along fine. If the 2000i ever bites the dust, 4yrs plus now, we'll get a 3000i. I wouldn't consider anything but a Honda. The generator fits under the Jay Flight for some protection against the weather. I lock it with a bike lock to the trailer. Eco mode will charge batteries and power lights. Honda's are expensive, but then so are those fancy trucks you tow your trailers with. When I'm out there in the wilds, I sleep better knowing Honda is supplying power.
I've owned two Honda 2000I generators for almost 10 years. Never tried using just one to run the AC (I assume 13.5K), and I'm not about to try... Running both with Eco throttle off does get a bit noisy, but these are good reliable units when properly maintained. We use them only very occasionally, for more regular use, I would probably opt for the 3000I unless I could not lift it on the truck myself...
RKHengst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:16 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKHengst View Post
I've owned two Honda 2000I generators for almost 10 years. Never tried using just one to run the AC (I assume 13.5K), and I'm not about to try... Running both with Eco throttle off does get a bit noisy, but these are good reliable units when properly maintained. We use them only very occasionally, for more regular use, I would probably opt for the 3000I unless I could not lift it on the truck myself...
Its a bear to hoss into the back of your pickup. You can get some nice wheels from eBay and ramp it up there though !!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALL-TERRAIN-...item1c3ae3b2f2
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #44

I have an older model Yammy 2400is (2006). It has proven to be a workhorse. It ran for 3-4 days straight during an extended power outage in our stick house's neighborhood. Saved all of our refrigerated and frozen goods, stopping only for refueling.

The 2400 will also power a 13.5k AC if it has the hard start capacitor. Although it provides reliable, QUIET power, mine does need to be rejet-ed for use at altitudes above 6000'. I now have carb jets for it sized to run at altitudes to 10,000'. Hopefully Yamaha has altitude adjusting carbs in place by now.

'06 2500 Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ Diesel, Firestone air bags
'08 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
'12 Pinnacle 31RLTS
taviking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #45
Site Team

Its nice to see we can have a civil discussion about generators on this forum. I have seen genny threads go south very quickly on "that other forum". Folks can get very passionate about their brand of generator. Kudos to our members.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #46

Well, mine is the best because I spent a lot of money on it and anybody questioning my purchase must be a moron. Or maybe they are right and I just didn't think it through far enough. So I'll flame and troll until I'm spent on the subject.

J/K

My 2 cents though; if somebody is okay w/ spending Honda EU2000 money, than for just a LITTLE more (in the grande scheme of things) you can get the Yamaha 2400ishc (or whatever the last letters are). You get 25% more running watts and a higher top end for surge all in a luggable form factor at 75 pounds.

To me, its either the Yamaha or the Honda EU3000is. Depending on what you want to power, how much you want to spend, how quiet you want the experience to be, and if you have a way to get it into the back of your truck easy.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #47

I have had several generators in the last 20+ years. Most worked well but were noisy. A little dissertation of how small generators work may help here. Most small non-inverter generators run at a regulated 3600 RPM. The reason for this is the frequency of the generator is tied to the RPM of the generator based on the windings of the generator. The sheer speed of the generator creates a lot of the noise. The inverter generators are able to reduce the noise by decoupling the RPM of the engine from the frequency by using an RMS inverter to generate the AC power at the correct frequency. This works very well in an RV situation because in most cases the generator is not running at full throttle. Unfortunately not all inverter generators are made equal. I purchased a Champion inverter generator and had it destroy my 12,000 BTU heat pump. It burned out the compressor motor and logic board. I have run an inexpensive Harbor Freight tools conventional 3200 watt generator that is reasonably quiet and my massive 7,000 - 12,000 generator which isn't as well as many others and have never had one break anything.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
THREEBUTCHERS, I did find about 5 different ads for that generator. All but one stated 50 Hz. Since both are apparently available one needs to verify they are getting the expected 60 Hz unit.
I have this generator - label on the side says 60hz.
PhyerPhyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #49

Yamaha EF3000 iSEB

2800W continuous
3000W for 20 min
3500W for 10 sec.
Electric start
Optional remote start
19hr run time @ 1/4 output
Easily starts my 13500 A/C with low idle on
while at 8000' elevation
E rated Michelin LTX M/S2s

"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bansai
frieed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Well, mine is the best because I spent a lot of money on it and anybody questioning my purchase must be a moron. Or maybe they are right and I just didn't think it through far enough. So I'll flame and troll until I'm spent on the subject.

J/K

My 2 cents though; if somebody is okay w/ spending Honda EU2000 money, than for just a LITTLE more (in the grande scheme of things) you can get the Yamaha 2400ishc (or whatever the last letters are). You get 25% more running watts and a higher top end for surge all in a luggable form factor at 75 pounds.

To me, its either the Yamaha or the Honda EU3000is. Depending on what you want to power, how much you want to spend, how quiet you want the experience to be, and if you have a way to get it into the back of your truck easy.
One thing not mentioned in the Yamaha vs Honda discussion. The Honda has a fuel pump and can run off an outboard motor fuel tank. Not so on Yamaha.
Thinker is offline   Reply With Quote