Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2015, 09:41 AM   #1

Generator Selection

Please advise as to generator selection: Output capacity? Decibel range? Weight? Run time?

Our dry camp fishing trips are in jeopardy do to campfire smoke if I’m unable to remedy my Bayou-Bride’s respiratory difficulty.

Application: 20 foot, 2015 Jayco Swift, with microwave, air conditioner, refrigerator/freezer unit? CPAP [continuous positive airway pressure mask] machine?

Does one add the total A/C consumption capacity of the lights and appliances?

Does one use the 35 amp capacity of the TT to select a generator?

2000? 3000? More? Less?

Comment: Can’t figure out why campers must ignite large fires and lay down smoke screens. Lived in bush Alaska for much of my adult life. We lit less-are-more fires. Our camp fires were hot enough to cook and make coffee. We didn’t light the huge fires that we’re experiencing with fish camping in the lower 48 states.
Arctic Bos'un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:51 AM   #2

To run your AC and microwave and your various other draws , you will need a an inverter type generator in the 3000 watt range. Honda, Yamaha and Champion all make a generator that will get the job done. Honda and Yamaha are both in the $2000 price range. They have a long history of being very reliable and dependable. Champion is much cheaper but early reports give them very high marks. They cost in the $800 price range.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Bos'un View Post

Comment: Can’t figure out why campers must ignite large fires and lay down smoke screens. Lived in bush Alaska for much of my adult life. We lit less-are-more fires. Our camp fires were hot enough to cook and make coffee. We didn’t light the huge fires that we’re experiencing with fish camping in the lower 48 states.

Large smoky campfires seem to be the norm in a lot of places. I think a lot of folks just don't know how to build an efficient fire. Plus, for some unknown reason, they feel it's necessary to heap on all their garbage too. The only solution I've found is to stay in commercial campgrounds that don't allow fires.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:34 PM   #4

I use a Champion 3100 invertor generator and it has been great so far. I have used mine to run my compressor and saws too. This generator will run the AC unit and Microwave but I would not run both at the same time. This gen has 3100 peak watts and runs at 2800 watts. I got it for $799.00 at Costco. They have gone up about $100.00 since I bought mine. I am extremely happy with it.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:25 PM   #5

Generators

We use one "2000watt" & one "2000watt companion"Inverter generators. Hook them together will provide enough power for most needs. Can run only one air conditioner at a time. Very quiet, weight about 43 lbs., easy to move in and out of truck. Looked at several generators, these were the best I found. About $1,000.00 & $1,200.00 for companion. Pricing varies slightly depending on where you look.
michigancampermcsmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:27 PM   #6

Go to a generator manufactures web site, most of them have a guide on buying generators. Once you work out how big etc check the web for one that fits the bill.
Some generators can be hooked together to double their out put.

2004 Designer 31RLS
2000 F350 Lariat 7.3L Dually 4 Door Long Bed
KiwiBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #7

Using the Honda EU2000i inverter & it's EU2000i companion, parallel together easily runs my AC if needed. Mostly I use just 1 for all other camping needs. Light weight & quiet. Visit on line retailer Wise Sales, many choices good pricing & service. Yamaha & Honda Generators | Lawn Mowers & Power Equipment | Wise Sales

Good luck
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #8

I just bought a Champion 3100 with remote start for $980.00 shipped.It will run my 15000 btu air conditioner. I bought this instead of another honda 2000i to run in parallel.I think the remote start will be a nice feature. I don't think it is much louder than the 2000i.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:46 PM   #9

Your trailer is designed for 30 amps max. Two Honda or Yamaha 2000 watt generators will be all you will need, as well as a parallel kit. You will need both for the a/c, the rest of your things will run on one.

They are very portable at 44 lbs each. I like the Yamaha gens as they have a fuel shut off which allows the carb to run out of fuel to keep it from being gunked up.
Got mine at Wise as well.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:59 PM   #10

I have 2 Honda 2000 connected in parallel. Gives you 4000. Or 2000
Hondas are the best
Old 09-22-2015, 06:27 AM   #11

Our camping neighbors used to run a 1KW genset just for the CPAP and keep the battery charged.

(They've since built a house on the site).

But, once you want to run the A/C and Microwave... You'll need 3,500W to pull that off.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:44 AM   #12

We had given up on buying a TT (or any sort of camping) because of DWs CPAP needs. Then I found three different solutions.
First, I noted that her CPAP used a plug-in transformer that fed 12 volts DC to the device. So a little investigation found a cigarette lighter cord that is actually made as an accessory for that CPAP.
Second, a friend uses a small inverter for his CPAP in his TT. If shore power is lost, his device still operates from battery. Yes, that is a device powered by a transformer plugged into an inverter running from the TT battery that is charged by the TT converter that is plugged into shore power. Seems a bit much, but it works for him.
Finally, DW has an affinity for full hookup campgrounds - no boondocking. So options 1 or 2 are just-in-case.
Homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:17 AM   #13

As far as a CPAP solution, I have used a Duracell Powerpack for my tent camping nights. I also bought a solar panel to charge during the day. I can get two nights without charging. Going on 2 years without any issues....

Will bring it along with the TT in case of any problems.
Attached Thumbnails
duracell-powerpack-600_1.jpg  
Dinger51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:28 PM   #14

You should come to Georgia and see the camp fires burning in the summer when it's still 85 degrees at 9 PM! I guess it's that "ambiance" thing, really sucks with hot humid air barely moving!
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #15

Some CPAP machines also can use a 12 volt connection. It is a separate cord that you have to buy if your machine supports it. My father bought this cord and rigged a 12 volt plug into the camper's battery and he carries an extra battery just for the c-pap when needed. What this does is allow you to run the cpap during the times when you can't run the generator. He has no problems with the battery lasting all night. During his testing, he found that one group 24 deep cycle battery was good for three nights before needing charged.

If I was setting this up, it might look something like this: (everyone has an opinion, right?) I would upgrade the batteries and have at least two, maybe even 6 volt batteries wired together to make 12 volts because of the extra reserve capacity. I would set up the cpap to run from a 12 volt source because it gives you more flexibility. Personally, if you have a 30 amp camper I would buy a Honda or a Yamaha 3000 watt invertor unit, or, if weight is an issue, two of the 2000 watt units and link them together. Others would tell you that the cheaper ones are "ok", and they might be, but this is a critical item for you, not something that is merely an inconvenience if it does not work, so I would get the best I could. As for the fires, that is usually the culprit of inexperience with how a fire works. Sometimes I even carry an already burning piece of wood to my neighbors and do some teaching about a smokeless fire.

Those are my thoughts, and may be what worth what you paid, but we have experience with camping with a cpap and that is what we did with good success. Good luck!
2009 Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
2005 Jay Flight 27BH (sold) - probably my favorite
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk 96 View Post
Your trailer is designed for 30 amps max. Two Honda or Yamaha 2000 watt generators will be all you will need, as well as a parallel kit. You will need both for the a/c, the rest of your things will run on one.

They are very portable at 44 lbs each. I like the Yamaha gens as they have a fuel shut off which allows the carb to run out of fuel to keep it from being gunked up.
Got mine at Wise as well.
I have two of the Honda EU2000i (one normal, one companion). I was disappointed to find out they didn't have a fuel shut-off, so I added my own. Cost is very cheap, and it's about a 10 minute job once you figure out what you're doing. (Youtube has a few good videos on it).

There is also a new generator out that seems like it might be a similar quality, similar noise level, but cheaper alternative to Honda or Yamaha. No idea about long-term reliability, though: Generaq IQ
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:52 PM   #17

We use a Honda EU3000i. It will power the AC and the microwave although not at the same time. It is very quiet and that was most important to us. I have to say, that genset is about 140lbs, so we leave it in the bed of the truck and have a 30 amp extension cord should we need it.
aroundeverycorner is offline   Reply With Quote