Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #11

My TT is a Jayflight 26BH and we will leave on a friday come home on a monday. I figure without running the furnace and switching the furnace to propane this would get me through the weekend. If not maybe a small generator would do the trick to charge my battery once a day. Would I plug the generator directly into the converter or do I need to get a battery charger as well or would just using the on board converter be ok?

Tbeuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #12

I have the same rig as you. ( Havent used yet . I have this generator. And it will do everything you want. We run 2 trailers off it during hunting season. And we get about 14 hrs run time per tank.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Champ...h-All+Products

Some auto parts stores carry one similar.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbeuler View Post
Hey everyone I am going boondocking for the first time and I was going to purchase a generator. I will not be using the generator to power the TT which is 26BH jayfeather but to charge the batteries so I can use the refridgerator maybe a light or two at night. For the most part we will not be using anything else. I have heard of people using there TV to charge the batteries. I would honestly rather have a generator. The battery is a Interstate deep cycle with 550 Cold crank amps. I would love everyones input so please feel free to help me because I am so lost!!
This will work for you
1) Honda or Yamaha generator, at least ie2000
2) Adapter to connect your 30amp plug to a 110 standard plug
3) Run the generator plugged into your shoreline plug, this will charge your batteries using the onboard charger. (yes, your trailer will have an onboard charger/converter)
4) Don't worry about shutting off any of the rest of the items in your trailer, you won't have enough to run the airconditioner, maybe or maybe not the microwave, otherwise all your 12 volt items will continue to operate under batter power while it is charging (water pump, furnace fan, fridge on propane, water heater circuit using propane, all lights etc.)

5) If you plan on boondocking, the battery you have listed is a very poor choice, anything with listed CCA (cold cranking amps) is not designed for RV trailers, rather the CCA is designed to start an engine. You would be better served to pull that battery, buy two deep cycle RV batteries. This will last through the night even using your furnace, - recharge in the morning for 2-4 hours.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #14

I have a 2012 26bh and I have two interstate 234 ah deep cycle 6v batteries. I use one eu2000i and a eu2000i companion paralled together when boon docking. During this last deer season, we would run the generator/s for an hour or so each morning and evening. Since we used the furnace and water pump frequently the batteries would be down to 75 percent or so in the morning. Mainly we fired both up to use coffee maker and toaster, and one up to watch tv and use the computer. The onboard converter charger works just fine. The 30 amp plug in the companion works very nice, you can use the a/c with both running. I also converted to all led lighting. We used less than 5 gallons of fuel in 2 weeks.
Two 24" 1080p led tv's
Prodigy p3 brake controller
Equalizer WDH
2 eu2000i Honda's ( one companion )
All lights converted to LEDs
oaeyeo121003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #15

What is an invertor generator?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbeuler View Post
What is an invertor generator?
Here's a link to a Honda article that talks about generator selection which I think will answer your question better than I can: Honda Article Link
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #17

Hey everyone thanks for your input I just bought a Ryobi 2200watt inverter generator the reviews were awesome and it was half the price of the Honda. I watched a couple youtube videos to show the sound and its really quiet. I was just looking for something to charge the batteries but this bad boy should run everything besides the a/c.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #18

Buy as big and quiet as you can afford you never know what the future will bring. Generators are not something that you throw away or replace frequently, running the fridge and hot water heater off of propane is your best bet but some day you may just want to turn on the AC on a hot day get at least a 1000 what generator there is lots of information on the web on what kind of appliances that a generator can run think of your generator as plugging in your house and what would you like to use almost all will charge a battery but take in consideration quietness and ease of use Honda And Yamaha are expensive but also very quiet to operate Mother Nature will thank you GOOD LUCK.
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #19

We are looking at the Ryobi 2200 ( prices & reviews are awesome ) also after our last camping trip with the TT we are commited to make this happen even with our little 165. Good luck !

Chuckwagon. is offline   Reply With Quote