Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #21

I also have the Honda eu3000is. quietest generator you will find for the power. It is heavy at like 145lbs but there are mulitple wheel carts designed for it. I have a Jayco 314bds and have yet had a problem with it running the camper including the AC. Yes, I also have the 15000 btu AC. Great unit! will never die.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #22

Thanks All, once again you have answered my questions before I even asked them.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #23

The new Domentic 300k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb023 View Post
I will be eventually, getting a gen... anyone know,what the absolute most amps/wattage a jayco 29 G2 would draw, in total usage requirements,...= all 110 appliances on?
What are others using as a generator,and ones to stay away from....
i was just at crestview in austin and the few gen they had on display were outragous prices...
I like this one.....Runs AC fine and not too loud when low load.....has keystart and a few options
about 1/3 $$ od Honda
safari97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #24

I have a Yamaha 2000is. Plan to get another one, as they can be paired to provide 4000 start up watts or 3600 continuous watts. This exactly matches a 30 amp service. These weigh about 60# each. They are very quiet and of course expensive. You get what you pay for.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:10 AM   #25

Another thing to consider is where will you be able to run a generator. Most camp grounds have generator restrictions when you can run one. It is normally from 8AM-10AM and then again from 4:30PM to 7:30PM... Some places don't allow them at all... Not much time to run an air conditioner to cool things down... The NATL Forest sometimes allows from 8AM to 8PM. This is not true at all Natl Forest however... I have never run into a public camp ground that allows a generator after 8PM. Don't expect to be able to run one all night.

The few exceptions is PRIVATE LAND - dispersed land out West - and NASCAR places I guess...

I too wanted to get a generator that would run my whole trailer but after a few trips I found out the better thing for me to do was to beef up my battery banks and my trailer system to allow me to run all of the 120VAC toys we wanted to run from an INVERTER and 12VDC toys direct connected to the battery bank. Then have a battery bank large enough to run all of these appliances for the one day/night camping run. Then the game plan is to re-charge the batteries using a 2KW Honda type generator using the 30A Shore Power Cable plugged into the generator 120VAC receptacle using a RV30A-15A long adapter cord every morning at 8AM when allowed to run the generator. You will want to have smart charging mode converter/charger so that you can recharge the battery bank in as little as three hours of generator run time. Adding SOLAR PANELS is pure icing on the cake as this will allow you to trickle charge the battery banks during the day time hours without running a generator. You will still need the generator for those times when the sun is not out. It may be cloudy and rain for a solid week... Got to have all of the PLAN Bs in place if you want to be successful about camping off the power grid.

This is how we solved the generator problem... This of course does not allow us to run the air conditioner or the microwave when camping off the power grid. We do however run just about everything else almost like we do at a regular electric site. This does allow us to stay within all of the local generator run time restrictions...

My 2KW Honda Generator resides secured in the tailgate corner of my truck which also has hard folding lockable panels and is a pure blessing when camping off the power grid. Being with my truck at all times there are many times the generator has saved the day for me as well as others.

Just saying...
Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #26

The compromise will be initial cost, available power, running cost, weight and noise.

We found the compromise that works for us in the Yamaha EF2400ISHC. It will start/run the 13,500 A/C unit when cooling things down is the priority, microwave as need (not while the A/C is running), all the other stuff when the A/C unit is off, at 70lbs I can handle moving around solo and it's quiet.

This Yamaha won't start a 15,000btu A/C so you're probably going to have to go to a 3,000+ watt unit.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #27

The compromise will be initial cost, available power, running cost, weight and noise.

We found the compromise that works for us in the Yamaha EF2400ISHC. It will start/run the 13,500 A/C unit when cooling things down is the priority, microwave as need (not while the A/C is running), all the other stuff when the A/C unit is off, at 70lbs I can handle moving around solo and it's quiet.

This Yamaha won't start a 15,000btu A/C so you're probably going to have to go to a 3,000+ watt unit.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
Old 06-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #28

Don't really understand what you plan on using the gen for? To get one large enough to run everything, it will weigh a ton, burn more fuel than you can imagine, and get you thrown out of every campground in the world. Running on a gen is an art of energy management. You have to do some of this in most TT even when on shore power.

You will never beat the honda series inverter gens. The 2000eu is the best and will run everything except the AC. Is quiet and allowed in many campgrounds when regular gens are banned. Need to run AC, get 2 of them and pair them together. Weigh less than 50 lbs each and are easy to handle. Absolutely reliable and easy to start. Hook one to a 6 gal boat style tank and you can run it for 12 hours per day and 4 days or more without refueling.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #29

The power requirement will depend on actual A/C, microwave and (to a lessor extent) coffee maker you are using. My 13.5K btu A/C unit probably draws close to 2,000 watts to start it. You add a typical 1,000 watt microwave and 1,000 watt coffee maker and you're already at 4,000 watts. As others have mention the higher the power output will typically mean more fuel, a heavier unit to move around and more noise.

My suggestion would be go with a smaller, more efficient, quieter unit and exercise some discipline as far as power management is concerned. I went with a Yamaha 2400. It will start/run my A/C unit (see video) and once the A/C is running I can run the frig, lights, water pump, television and other low power items via the generator. If we need to use the microwave or coffee maker we'll shut down the A/C to run them and when we're done restart the A/C unit (we'll wait 10 minutes before restarting the A/C to let pressure within the unit equalize). The other benefit is that it is relatively quiet, and it's light weight (70lbs) so even grandpa can handle it .

The link is to my Yamaha starting and running my A/C unit...

I think you should determine what the power requirements are to start/run the A/C unit in your rig along with other items that will be a constant draw, and consider the microwave/coffee maker as items that will only require short time usage that you can power for a short time with the A/C off.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
Old 06-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #30

Someone reactivated this thread recently after sitting dormant for months. Suspect the original poster is no longer listening. Would be helpful if he is if he would respond as to how the problem was addressed.

Going back to the beginning, It sounds like we had someone totally new to RVing who was use to living in a house and not a TT in a camping situation. You can't run it all on a 30A system. Even a 50A has its limitations. Anyway trying to run a 5kw or larger gen in a camping situation has many problems. Noise, fuel, and weight come to mind.

We also do a lot of houseboating [pretty much RV'ing on water and I love to overhear the conversation when a first time houseboat renter turns in the boat after a week and sees the fuel bill. They often only travel a short distance out and back and spend the rest of the time tied to the bank and can't believe they have a $300 to $500 bill to refill the tank. At upwards to $5/gal at a marina, that's not unrealistic. When ask how much they ran the onboard Onan gen they answer was in many cases 24/7. You can always tell the first timers. 2nd time out they turn the gen off during the day when all are out swimming and boating and turn it on for a few hours each evening to run the AC and recharge the batteries and again in the morning while making breakfast etc. The fuel bill drops back to a more reasonable level with proper management.

IMHO with Gens, its never been more true. You get what you pay for. Nothing beats one of the small Honda EU [2000 or 3000] for power, reliablity, fuel economy, unbelievably Quiet, and weight that is easy to manage. Some say a bit pricey but never heard a single complaint from an owner after that 1st season of usage. My wife thinks its the best thing ever invented. Use it on the houseboat, with the RV, and many other tailgate uses when access to 110 power is needed. Light up a dark campsite way out in the boonies and run a 50 extension out to the Honda and no one will know where the power is coming from. No one except all who we camp with because they all have their own.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote