Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2016, 08:35 AM   #1

Generator Suggestions and other stuff for a newbie.

Hi, new trailer owner here.

We just purchased a Jay feather 7 19XUD. Been out a few times and made the usual mistakes (blown battery fuses etc). We are now thinking about getting a generator so we can broaden our camping to places without hookups. Ideally, we would like to run AC (1 baby and 1 on the way) but know full well that to do that ups the price, noise and demands so we aren't commited to that. Basically, any suggestions would be great.

Also, we are new and figuring stuff out but any suggestions for new Jayco owners is always appreciated.

Thanks!
GloveSlipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #2

You'll need at least 2,000 watts of generator power to run an A/C unit.

You many want to think about buying a matched pair of 1,200 watt inverter gensets that can use a parallel cable.

They are small, quiet and easy to use. Only carry and use the second one if needed.

A 1,200 watt genset run about an hour per day will keep the battery topped up nicely.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #3

The advice that I got most often when asking about generators is that you'll eventually buy a Honda, it's just a matter of how many other generators you want to buy before that.

TV: 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro4x
TT: 2016 174BH Baja Edition
schmittychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmittychris View Post
The advice that I got most often when asking about generators is that you'll eventually buy a Honda, it's just a matter of how many other generators you want to buy before that.
I wasn't going to name names, but, now that it's out in the open, I can't say enough positive things about Honda brand power equipment. I own a Honda lawn mower and a genset. Both start every time (until my dad ran the genset without oil). I have never had trouble getting parts.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
I wasn't going to name names, but, now that it's out in the open, I can't say enough positive things about Honda brand power equipment. I own a Honda lawn mower and a genset. Both start every time (until my dad ran the genset without oil). I have never had trouble getting parts.
I agree 100%,I pulled my ryobi pressure washer(with Honda motor) out a few weeks ago,It set for 6 months and started the first pull.
WrenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSlipper View Post
Hi, new trailer owner here.

We are now thinking about getting a generator so we can broaden our camping to places without hookups. Ideally, we would like to run AC (1 baby and 1 on the way) but know full well that to do that ups the price, noise and demands so we aren't commited to that. Basically, any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!
Generators are great, but you need to be aware that not all sites allow generators, and some have limited usage times.. like a few hours in the morning and a few in the afternoon, most do not allow overnight. If it is a loud generator, I have seen the them ask the person to kindly turn off the generator (it was loud and it probably was a commercial model).

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:34 PM   #7

Thanks all!

Much appreciated!
GloveSlipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #8

I've been all over the generator map with Honda. You're going to have to look long and hard before you find anybody that doesn't like them.

HOWEVER: Honda doesn't really have a niche product for running a 13.5k A/C unit without stepping up to the 3000 watt range (very pricey, very heavy) or duelling Honda EU2000is gensets.

If your A/C is a 13.5k unit, and that's what you're most concerned with, I would buy this in a minute:

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/ge...ter-ef2400ishc

It splits the difference between the EU2000is and the EU3000is. Weight, cost, output. Its a inverter so it's quiet. Nowhere near as quiet as the EU3000is though (i think its the quietest genset on the market) its only 2db higher than a single EU2000is. Twin 2000is will be louder than one of these Yamahas however .

The Yamaha comes with this nice feature:

This model boasts High Current output which is designed specifically to increase motor starting capability and to improve air conditioner starting. This High Current model starts most high efficiency 13,500 btu AC in temperatures up to 110° F.

3 year warranty. Its the one I'd purchase.

PS

I've had twin EU2000's, and I currently have a EU3000i for home backup power. So I'm not talking out my backside here.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, new owner