Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #1

Geo Method thoughts

I read about this method and know some people who are using it. Is it effective? Do any of you are using this system? Any smell issues? I read in the manual that you should not put caustic chemicals (which some Laundy detergentr are) in your black tank. Whats the best product our there for maintanance of the black tank? Any suggestion?
zlaninomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:53 AM   #2

A lot of veteran campers I converse with use this method.

Its either GEO or Happy Camper for most of them:
http://www.5starhappycamper.com/index.html

As my trailer will be brand new, I'm thinking of using a hybrid approach: Calgon to make the tank walls nice and slick and HC to work on everything/keep the smell down.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #3

After 3 1/2 years full timing I have probably tried all options. I have settled on using nothing during the bulk of the year except lots of water when on full hookups and still nothing when boondocking just a little less water. During the heat of the summer when I'm on my host site I have to dump my black tank about every two weeks and in August I will start to get a small bit of order between dumps. When this happens I add just a little of the dark blue stuff. Brand doesn't matter, what ever is cheapest at the time.

Basically I don't use anything on a regular basis, just when in really hot weather and only then when I have a bit of odor.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Nothing I have ever tried keeps the black tank accurate so I don't use anything.

One less thing to worry about.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #5

We've been in our Jayco 26RLS Since Dec 20, 2013 working our way from Montana over to the west coast and eventually to Tucson. Currently we're in San Diego. I used the RV sanitizer powder for the first 3 weeks then switched to powdered soap. Bought a real cheap box and keep it near the toilet. We put two scoops in when we flush the tank and a little here and there. Zero odor. It's been quite warm although not above 80 so far.

Calgon is hard to find but I intend to order a water softner for the unit from Camping World soon so all our water will be soft.

So far I really like using this method and the powdered soap is about $8 for a giant box.

George
=============================
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26 RLS TT
2013 Ram 2500 Mega HD Cummins Diesel
gpmilliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #6

Adding the Calgon directly to the black tank isn't really to soften the water to the degree a whole RV water softener will provide for. Its to give it a super blast of softener to make the black tank walls/side slippery or slimy. This is to help discourage solids from sticking to the tank walls (and your sensors) and to help facilitate full evacuation when dumping.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #7

Usually there's no noticeable odor except occasionally when it is very hot, in which case I'll use some Odorlos. Usually I don't put any chemical into the black tank. However, I do make sure that we dump only when the tank is almost full. After we dump, we'll put 4 bowls full of water into the tank so that there's enough water to slosh a lot when driving.

We don't often stay at the same location for more than a week; folks who stay at one spot for a long time may have issues I don't know about.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote