Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-24-2021, 12:57 PM   #21

Some of the truck stops have rv lanes
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:16 PM   #22

All major truck stops have lanes big enough to handle my dually and 41’ fifth wheel but boy are they expensive. We have found that local gas stations that have diesel pumps can usually handle big rigs. I have been in some tight spots and has to with to get in and out.
Anazeteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:31 PM   #23

Other major chains like Caseys, Kum & GO you can usually use the end lanes or outside lanes. Especially near the interstates,

You may have to wait to get that lane and to get out you may have to backup some to swing around and clear everything.
Just try and get fuel away from the larger cities.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:42 PM   #24

I always use google maps Satellite view to plan ahead before I go on a trip. It has really saved me.
InLikeFlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:47 PM   #25

By now I think you got the idea. Start looking a hundred miles before you really need gas. Scout ahead digitally. Choose convience over cost. Be patient. Don't be embarrassed to have a spotter guide you through. Keep track of the good, and bad, stations. I've been in the same tight squeeze twice.

Happy travels.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:50 PM   #26

We are 50' long with the toad attached and agree with all the suggestions posted. When traveling the interstates and highways the signs for upcoming stations almost inevitably list "Diesel' on them. We don't use diesel and while I know many if not most here do use diesel, wouldn't it be great if they could advertise as being "RV Friendly". There could be somewhat of universal standards that tell those of us that need a little more room that we will find it there. Nothing wrong with advertising diesel but today I think that's pretty much expected especially on the interstates and major highways.
RetiredAndFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:03 PM   #27

Pilot /Flying J have a list of stations in North America that you can download. In that list they identify those stations with RV lanes. I've yet to be going even near one of those stations in my travels. Worth checking out tho since the address is also given and you can add that to your GPS and set it as a way point if it's in your trip itinerary. So far, that hasn't worked for me. But you may get lucky.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:05 PM   #28

If a station advertised RV friendly I would stop just to support a forward thinking business.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:19 PM   #29

Because it was an issue so often I installed a TransferFlow aux tank in the truck bed so I could pass up difficult gas stations. Several times when there was no option and I was low on gas I disconnected the 5th wheel, fueled up and reconnected.
Jet Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:35 PM   #30

I have a 45’ fifth wheel. Hooked up it is 61’ this size is not for most gas stations. I gave up on Flying J. More times than not, the RV lanes are blocked by cars using them or the lane is too tight to get out of. Then I have seen no RV signs at the truck lane. I have a F350 Diesel. I installed an 35 gallon auxiliary tank in the bed that automatically transfers fuel to the factory tank. I also replaced the factory tank with a 54 gallon tank. I go the the gas station after I unhook and set up for the night. I gas up at a non truck stop. Almost always the fuel is 20 to 30 cents a gallon cheeper. Not always but most of the time. I travel to relax and there is nothing relaxing about pulling into a gas station with a 45’ fifth wheel.
MQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:39 PM   #31

I agree with most of the posts above;

I always make sure I start out with a full tank of fuel, it is much easier to get in and out with a truck than a truck and trailer.

It is not legal or wise to have an auxiliary gasoline tank in the bed of a pickup, although diesel trucks do this commonly, gasoline is too much of a fire hazard.
Peoples16127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:59 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples16127 View Post
I agree with most of the posts above;

I always make sure I start out with a full tank of fuel, it is much easier to get in and out with a truck than a truck and trailer.

It is not legal or wise to have an auxiliary gasoline tank in the bed of a pickup, although diesel trucks do this commonly, gasoline is too much of a fire hazard.
The auxiliary tank is for Diesel not gasoline and is DOT certified.
MQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:48 PM   #33

Google maps, sat view, outside lanes.
Keeps me out of trouble!!!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:21 PM   #34

Have also been in some tight spots to fuel up.
Overhead is sometimes an issue on small older stations, I'm 13'4" w my 42 ft fifth wheel.
Turn Radius is anothe issue, as some lanes are so close to store/bldg that pulling up to pump is easy, but pulling forward and around lot on other side is precarious.
Also, some diesel lanes look like they are designed to service auto diesel with the smaller spout, but I've pulled up to them and only the larger spout was available.
And then theres drag...steep entries up a hill and my tail has scraped pavement a few times.
We have some favorite places figured out on our normal routes, but a new route is always an adventure.
Best plan is begin looking at half-tank, stop frequently as needed to not get in a tite.
All good suggestions above. Esp the aerial views of up-ahead stations you can find on Google Maps or other gps apps.
DamonBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 04:57 AM   #35

Long trailers and gas stations

I tow a 45' Seismic 4212 behind a 2018 RAM 3500 quad cab long bed and have had zero issues fueling.

Here's why: I don't use gas stations in town- they are (mostly) set up for cars.

When on the road I'm obviously mindful of what I'm towing and find almost all stations near the highways are big rig friendly.

Hope this helps.
WFOracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:39 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
Many Flying J and Pilot stations have special drive through RV lanes that also come equipped with dump stations and propane service. An RV Plus card also gets you a fuel discount.
Good Sam gives you fuel discounts as well.
I plan my gas stops every 200 miles. Trailer is 34 feet and Expedition is 20 feet so total length is 54 feet long.

If I am not using Flying J or Pilot, (their RV lanes are easily accessible) I google my gas stop and look at how I am going to enter the pump AND plan how I am going to get out. I have never had any issues.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote