Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-20-2021, 10:09 AM   #1

Getting gas with a 40 ft trailer

When traveling how easy is it to maneuver into gas stations with a 40 ft trailer to get gas. I know most truck stops have fuel lanes with diesel but do they have lanes that are easily accessible for long trailers being towed by a gas truck?
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:17 AM   #2

Tip to tail, ours is 35', but same issue. I look for stations that have gas lanes parallel to the serving road. Most Pilot, Flying J etc. are perpendicular and full of traffic so I always avoid them. The stations that are parallel, are easy (easier) in and out since the turns are minimal, limited mainly to getting off road and back on, and with more room to maneuver. In my part of the world, Marathon, Exxon, BP (50/50) and many stations a few extra miles from any interstate exits in more rural areas work for me. Bottom line, it's an Easter egg hunt but once I find 'em, I enter the location into my GPS in a fuel stop file for future needs.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:21 AM   #3

I use the truck lanes. Early on I made some poor choices making fuel stops. If we have to stop at a smaller station I look at the satellite view on google maps to get an idea of a good entry/exit plan. Our 5th is 39’

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:25 AM   #4

I didn’t think truck lanes had gas, just diesel. Am I wrong?
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
I didn’t think truck lanes had gas, just diesel. Am I wrong?
Oops, sorry bout that. Didn’t note you were buying gasoline. You are correct. Google maps would still be an option.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:06 PM   #6

As you expect, not all stations will work. I have found my self waiting for an end pump to open before pulling to the pump rather than trying to get into the center. You just need to be patient.

As you travel The “gas buddy” app will have reviews on accessibility to long rigs and well as show you best pricing on your route.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:49 PM   #7

I have seen a few inner city large gas stations that the truck fueling lanes, that have gasoline.

We are not that big, I always start looking early so I can have options. Some people will use Google services to figure out what stations are goo.

Getring gas is like playing a game of chess. I'm planning 3 moves ahead. My key tip, always plan the escape.

Generally speaking, I always want an end lane. As I usually can pull around cars ahead of me. I always look at the traffic flow. I never want to be forced, to drive across-the-board front of the store.

If I pull into a town to get fuel and I see multiple stations, I'll do a drive by, to see which one is easy in/out. I'll pay a few cents more for convenience.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:28 PM   #8
Site Team

If you are not familiar with the area, you will have to do some planning ahead for possible fuel stops.

We have a diesel but we still try to fill up when we are un-hooked.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
When traveling how easy is it to maneuver into gas stations with a 40 ft trailer to get gas. I know most truck stops have fuel lanes with diesel but do they have lanes that are easily accessible for long trailers being towed by a gas truck?
No, you cant depend on a truck stop as having a dedicated fuel "lane" to accommodate a gas rig with the length of a semi. Generally they do not have special gas lanes.

You may try going around back to to the semi truck fuel up area- but thats generally diesel only.

For the most part you are are going to fuel up in the common area where cars fill up.

Plan ahead- google satellite potential fuel stops on your route and estimate if you "have 40 acres to turn that rig around".
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 07:56 AM   #10

I orderd “The Next Exit” from Amazon, it has been very helpful not just for fuel stops. Once I needed to find an urgent care and it was just 30 miles down the road.
Kmmbbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 08:09 AM   #11
Site Team

They also have an app but it's not rated as well as the book.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 08:14 AM   #12

Many Flying J and Pilot stations have special drive through RV lanes that also come equipped with dump stations and propane service. An RV Plus card also gets you a fuel discount.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
Many Flying J and Pilot stations have special drive through RV lanes that also come equipped with dump stations and propane service. An RV Plus card also gets you a fuel discount.
Ditto. I have the Flying J app and it shows where the stations are and confirms RV lanes. I believe all Flying J have lanes and some Pilot - both stations are listed in the Flying J app.

Lanes are not always great and can be tighter turns than I would like or exit goes between store and car lanes, but it has always been possible to get through where many times the car lanes are not.
Old 11-21-2021, 11:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
Ditto. I have the Flying J app and it shows where the stations are and confirms RV lanes. I believe all Flying J have lanes and some Pilot - both stations are listed in the Flying J app.

Lanes are not always great and can be tighter turns than I would like or exit goes between store and car lanes, but it has always been possible to get through where many times the car lanes are not.
X2, I got in big trouble at on in Wisconsin a few years back. Big sign said RV lanes. Did not look great, but I was able to get fuel easily. Went to leave and was stuck. They had installed K rail, I think to keep them senis out. But due to how every was parked, I could not loop around. Called the district manager on Monday and he was aware of the issue I had and why. He said it would be fixed. I drove past 2 weeks later for work, and the K rail was rearranged. Last time I have been to that station.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 12:24 PM   #15

I have found the fly J and Pilot very convenient and for those diesel guys, they have def fluid pumps also.

My issue with them is that even with their discount fuel card they can still be 20-30 cents a gallon more than across the street.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #16

Ideally you have a co-pilot who can scout ahead for locations. My wife will often pull up Google Maps and go to the satellite view and look at the parking lot. Small parking lot, unlikely to be friendly. Larger parking lots give you more room to manuever.

Street view will also give you a better sense of the layout of the pumps and let you know what way to attack.

Either way, slow down and confirm your route BEFORE you get too far in. There have been times that I've found a gas station that looks ok, then as I am about to pull in I realize it just won't work for a variety of reasons. Consider the angle of the approach/exit, the height of the canopy, crowds in the lot, etc.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 02:31 PM   #17

I am also in the camp that likes to plan ahead by looking at the aerial pictures and street view if the location has it. Not always possible, so sometimes you just have to eyeball it and when in doubt if you will fit, go on to the next station. If we are out sightseeing in the truck alone, we always come back to camp full of fuel.
ExxWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExxWhy View Post
I am also in the camp that likes to plan ahead by looking at the aerial pictures and street view if the location has it. Not always possible, so sometimes you just have to eyeball it and when in doubt if you will fit, go on to the next station. If we are out sightseeing in the truck alone, we always come back to camp full of fuel.
x2. That's how we do it too. I also look at the approach apron to make sure I won't drag going in or out. I'm 51' bumper to bumper. I always preplan a few options as once the pump I could fit in was out of service and another time there was road construction that prevented me from going to my station to choice. I had to go to plan B. Most of my trips I know of certain stations along frequently traveled routs that I know I can get into and out of.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:53 PM   #19

I have found, in my travels, that the majority of gas stations tend to have their pumps facing the store, hoping to direct you there to make additional purchases. When traveling, I always travel with two empty 5 gallon gas cans secured in the bed of my truck.

If things are too tight, and I need gas I can park nearby and fill up my two cans and put it in the truck if need be.

I currently have a diesel on order … besides the need for the pulling power, fuelling it certainly factored into that decision.
DJP6371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:57 PM   #20

Looking early

I have a 36 gallon tank in the truck— I start looking when my gauge gets to half — That gives me a couple of hours of travel time to find a place I like— I am 50 feet long-
jrstraw is offline   Reply With Quote