Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2020, 10:52 PM   #1

Getting older

I’m getting old enough that I’ve had to slow down doing many things, and cannot do some things that I’d rather do myself. RA is taking its toll on me and I’m not to be lifting more than 10 lbs, which makes it hard to load necessary things in the TT and desirable things on the truck, like the grill, my wife’s hammock, even the tote. So in order to fix that, I had a 1000 pound truck bed crane installed with a 2500 pound ATV electric winch. I know I don’t need that much capacity for loading, but that was the smallest I’ve seen, and the price was right. Now I’m ready to test it out on a camping trip, soon.
Has anyone else done this?
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:39 AM   #2

I'm not supposed to left over 40lbs so I bought a deer hoist that goes into your receiver hitch to lift things like the generator, cook box an cooler. That wouldn't of helped you because the 2 host pieces weigh between 15- 25 lbs but it sure has helped me. Then I bought a 4 wheel foldable cart with soft material sides that I drop the cooler into so I can wheel it from truck to camp. I use the spreader bar an ratchet straps to hoist everything except the generator, I use a plastic coated chain covered with a pool noodle for that.
We'll find a way
Old 05-03-2020, 08:49 AM   #3

Welcome to the Geezer Club.
I take the view that it's tough getting old *, but better than the alternative.

The first, and still the best, mod to our TT was an electric tongue jack... I'd had enough handle-cranking with our previous popup camper, and my back was grateful.

I like the crane idea, but I'm lucky enough not to need one, yet. Everything still gets loaded by hand, the only difference is the length of time that I spend sitting down and breathing heavily, afterwards.
Good to read that you are overcoming the obstacles that nature puts in the way of a good time... and I wish you many more years of playing smarter, not harder.

(*for the sake of credentials, 70 next month. The Lady From Little Rock is a mere girl, by comparison, though I've not yet been accused of being her father... LOL)

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
Welcome to the Geezer Club.
I take the view that it's tough getting old *, but better than the alternative.

The first, and still the best, mod to our TT was an electric tongue jack... I'd had enough handle-cranking with our previous popup camper, and my back was grateful.

I like the crane idea, but I'm lucky enough not to need one, yet. Everything still gets loaded by hand, the only difference is the length of time that I spend sitting down and breathing heavily, afterwards.
Good to read that you are overcoming the obstacles that nature puts in the way of a good time... and I wish you many more years of playing smarter, not harder.

(*for the sake of credentials, 70 next month. The Lady From Little Rock is a mere girl, by comparison, though I've not yet been accused of being her father... LOL)
We first got our Jayco an I was thinking meh this hand crankin ain't all that bad. A few trips in it started to get old then I received a gift card for CW an went an bought an electric one. Oh my, best investment yet I think.
Years of stupidity did me in before age could. UGH. Had I known back then.......
Old 05-03-2020, 12:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
We first got our Jayco an I was thinking meh this hand crankin ain't all that bad. A few trips in it started to get old then I received a gift card for CW an went an bought an electric one. Oh my, best investment yet I think.
Years of stupidity did me in before age could. UGH. Had I known back then.......
We are on our 2nd trailer, first one with an electric tongue jack. Now I’m wishing it had electric stab jacks.
I knew I wasn’t the only one getting old (I’m 65), but was just curios how others with similar ailments was Dealing with them order to be able to continue camping. My wife is able to do most of the loading, in my situation, but it’s not fair to her to have to do it all. I think the crane I bought will be a big help, but it’ll be another couple of weeks before we get to go camping. I getting excited about going.
Old 05-03-2020, 03:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
We are on our 2nd trailer, first one with an electric tongue jack. Now I’m wishing it had electric stab jacks.
I knew I wasn’t the only one getting old (I’m 65), but was just curios how others with similar ailments was Dealing with them order to be able to continue camping. My wife is able to do most of the loading, in my situation, but it’s not fair to her to have to do it all. I think the crane I bought will be a big help, but it’ll be another couple of weeks before we get to go camping. I getting excited about going.
I use a socket on my battery operated drill to set my stabilizer jacks.
turbo130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo130 View Post
X2...
Power-assisted everything, that's the future!
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo130 View Post
I do that, too. I’m of the age now that anything that makes camping easier is a great benefit.

Power-assisted everything, that's the future!
I agree with this whole heartedly.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:02 PM   #9

I am just about 60 years of age - but, in 2009 while working in law enforcement I was hit by a drunk driver and broke my back and my hips. Between the multiple surgeries and the arthritis that has set in I have "Aged" quite a bit. Although the injures ended my law enforcement career after 27 years, I still work every day in a diesel bus shop. I find ways around everything at work and do the same when camping. I use the same type of lift set up that Woodworker uses to put anything heavy in my truck. Camping is my escape from the aches and pains!!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:43 PM   #10
Site Team

I was forced to retire at 64, after 20 years in a similar occupation. The job kept me younger than my years, if that makes any sense. Once I stopped, my years caught up with me in a hurry. I've learned to use a hand cart, or anything with wheels, to move the heavy things closer to the truck or trailer, and let the DW help lifting them. The hand cart rolled the hitch closer, and a HitchGrip makes sliding it in easier. The cooler has its own wheels, as does the 10x20 canopy case. We are learning to make more trips with lighter loads.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:28 AM   #11

Lifting my 100# inverter generator in the back of my tall 3/4 ton truck is my biggest challenge now. No, I don't want to trade it for two smaller ones.

Ideas?
Old 05-04-2020, 04:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Lifting my 100# inverter generator in the back of my tall 3/4 ton truck is my biggest challenge now. No, I don't want to trade it for two smaller ones.

Ideas?
Game hoist an plastic coated chains covered with pool noodles. Watch the lift capacities they differ
Old 05-04-2020, 07:52 AM   #13

This is what I use - Saves me a ton of lifting - especially my inverter generator.

https://www.discountramps.com/viking...SABEgLs9PD_BwE

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:26 AM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Many talk themselves in getting older, we all know that effect.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
This is what I use - Saves me a ton of lifting - especially my inverter generator.

I looked at that one but I couldn't figure out how it swiveled to put stuff in the bed so I didn't buy it. Picture sure shows it will but I couldn't see it
Old 05-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Many talk themselves in getting older, we all know that effect.
Many can also remember what that MRI looked like
Old 05-04-2020, 09:52 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I can understand that! We don't carry a generator (yet), but I was thinking of trips with totes full of frozen food and canned goods, etc., that tend to get heavy, depending on how long we'll be gone.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post

Dang I over looked how it was rounded on the bottom piece of the upright. DUH. I'd a rather had that one because of the platform. Oh well
Old 05-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #19

54# and a bit bulky for the task it seems...IMHO.
Lafayettemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:24 PM   #20

I wouldn't want to take my trailer hitch off every time to use it.