Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2015, 11:42 AM   #21

seriously- thx everyone. I thought because it was a small tingle I shouldnt worry, but my kids were in and out all the time and my daughter felt it. thank goodness it was discharging such a small amount.
I didnt know.
doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:48 AM   #22

1 more question - ive done no research on this yet - so---

--- when I install this 30amp dedicated receptacle (w its own breaker)- am I able to plug my generator into it during power outages, or is that a completely different thing.

I suspect different and am going to research it now - but while the electrician is out breaking walls i should install that too
Old 09-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #23

Completely different and probably illegal. That would allow back feed thru the power company transformer and pose a serious high voltage threat of injury or death to power company workers.

I suggest you find a licensed and bonded electrician to do your electrical work. Not some jackleg guy with no knowledge. Don't take advice about wiring from unknown folks on the internet. Several of the posts in this thread are wrong so get some real professional help.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonkin View Post

--- when I install this 30amp dedicated receptacle (w its own breaker)- am I able to plug my generator into it during power outages, or is that a completely different thing.

I suspect different and am going to research it now - but while the electrician is out breaking walls i should install that too
UNQUESTIONABLY ILLEGAL and will NOT work properly!!!!

When you get an electrician in to fix your grounding issue, ask him or her about a "Transfer Switch". That is the only safe & legal way to connect a genset to a house.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:45 PM   #25

You may have just felt a little tingle but at 40 volts and a little rain it could have been a very different scenario. You can use the fluke, Kline or Southwire voltage detector to check for hot skin on your camper. They all do the same thing. The device that you plug into the receptacle will tell you if all wires are correct or not.
DHH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:39 PM   #26

Quote:
I had my 30 amp plugged into (via adapter)one of those office plug strips, w THATplugged into the 15amp mains plug. ONCE I plugged the ext cord directy into mains I cant feel the electrical tingle anymore.
I would cut the plug off and toss that "office plug strip" in the nearest trash can as it is unsafe for any use.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:17 PM   #27

i washed the camper IN the rain- i live in so cal drought- so when it rained wed i soaped up the camper and let mother nature do the rinse,- OMG i had no idea what danger i was putting myself in.- thankyou for the slap on the head!
Old 09-17-2015, 08:20 PM   #28

I got the best rated electrician in my area w RV knowledge coming to install at the weekend- nevermind my reg handyman.

I got the 30 amp outdoor box w a 30 amp breaker ready to put into a fuse box slot.
thankyou forum for setting me straight!
Old 09-17-2015, 08:24 PM   #29

i couldnt get the fluke at my local HD (ordered it) but the klien tester i got lights up everything on the TT even the plastic siding --- even though i cant feel a thing to touch now- im on it and thanks for the warning!!!!
Old 09-18-2015, 04:32 AM   #30
bap

Quote:

No you can't do that. The 30amp RV outlet is only 110volts and the 30amp Generator outlet is 240volts.
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:58 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
No you can't do that. The 30amp RV outlet is only 110volts and the 30amp Generator outlet is 240volts.

Actually, the output voltage of the generator would depend on the generator in question. ie: All the Honda generators up the ec3000i only output 120VAC.

I wish folks would refrain from making blanket statements based on only their experience with a one or two products. That can cause a lot of confusion for folks new to RVs.

Also see my post above regarding electrical advice from a web forum.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #32

all fixed

Well worth the money. (Got the pros to put it in).
Can sleep easy now. Thanks for the kick-in-the-butt to get this done!
Attached Thumbnails
30amp.jpg  
Old 09-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #33

Good Deal!

Nice and Safe.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #34

our hot skin

When we first got our Jayco we were getting shocks off if.
When we got home I looked it all over and did some testing.
What I found was that Jayco had never bolted the ground wires the frame!
Because of this I had 50vac on the skin when ever the trailer was plugged in and 120vac if the microwave was running! After bolting down the wires the skin stays less than 1vac.
While under the trailer I also found that the LP hose wasn't bolted up and was almost dragging on the road!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0811.jpg  
jimmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:30 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore View Post
When we first got our Jayco we were getting shocks off if.
When we got home I looked it all over and did some testing.
What I found was that Jayco had never bolted the ground wires the frame!
Because of this I had 50vac on the skin when ever the trailer was plugged in and 120vac if the microwave was running! After bolting down the wires the skin stays less than 1vac.
While under the trailer I also found that the LP hose wasn't bolted up and was almost dragging on the road!
Did you do a pre delivery walk through? Would think the dealer would catch that as soon as it was plugged in. Their visual check should of caught both of those items. Double screw up it appears.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:05 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Did you do a pre delivery walk through? Would think the dealer would catch that as soon as it was plugged in. Their visual check should of caught both of those items. Double screw up it appears.
You have much higher expectations of dealer walk thru's and PDIs than you should. Welcome to the real world.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
You have much higher expectations of dealer walk thru's and PDIs than you should. Welcome to the real world.
No, I do my homework so I know what to look for and what to ask. If they did not catch this at walk through you should of. My unit was plugged in, hooked up to water and drain and all were checked. I also checked electrical outlets etc. I expect nothing but what is rightfully mine to expect. And I make sure my expectations are met. If not, then shame on me.

If you accept less than what you should get, well...

Old 09-22-2015, 07:26 PM   #38

Yes we did a walk through but with the TT on a dry parking lot and with our shoes on we didn't get shocked. And the salesman just asked if we knew how to use a microwave and at the time we didn't notice that the clock wasn't on. So when we got to the CG we found that the microwave didn't work! After a cold dinner, the next morning, I found that the microwave was not plugged in and proceed to unscrew and remove it to retrieve the cord! It was later on that same morning that I went to come back into the TT (in bare feet) to get some more coffee that I found that the skin was hot. It about knocked me on my a--! I then called our dealer and his only answer was to bring it back. Oh boy that would have been a three hour drive. So we cut our vacation short and went home (only a two hour drive).
Old 09-22-2015, 08:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore View Post
Yes we did a walk through but with the TT on a dry parking lot and with our shoes on we didn't get shocked. And the salesman just asked if we knew how to use a microwave and at the time we didn't notice that the clock wasn't on. So when we got to the CG we found that the microwave didn't work! After a cold dinner, the next morning, I found that the microwave was not plugged in and proceed to unscrew and remove it to retrieve the cord! It was later on that same morning that I went to come back into the TT (in bare feet) to get some more coffee that I found that the skin was hot. It about knocked me on my a--! I then called our dealer and his only answer was to bring it back. Oh boy that would have been a three hour drive. So we cut our vacation short and went home (only a two hour drive).
We checked our unit while not plugged into shore power. If the ground was not connected, lights, radio etc would not operate. Then we plugged into shore power, checking refrig, microwave, AC etc on shore power. While on 12 volt only ran furnace, refrig on propane. Guess experience helps, this was not our first RV, and we knew what to look for. Yes hot metal is not easy to detect but, I did plug meters into outlets and did a meter check on the frame. Even remembered to check for propane flow to rear quick disconnect.
The tech really had it easy because he did little, I used my check list and did the tests I needed too. Since we picked it up in Middlebury Indiana, we also spent two nights at a local campground so we could check it in "real world situations". I was happy to say everything worked as expected. Few minor "problems" ie, table base not screwed tight, bench was not in alignment so I moved the frame and put it back together (10 minute job). I expect some things to need "adjustment" but I also expect major things to work.

Glad the issue with hot skin was taken care of, and I'm sure many others were made aware of the potential life threatening situation.

Happy it was only a cold meal, bet you will check the MW on your next RV! LOL Happy Camping

Old 09-22-2015, 08:41 PM   #40

Hi on our TT it was the earth ground that wasn't connected so everything worked on both AC and DC. So the only problem was the hot (non grounded) skin of the trailer. That is why I posted this, was to get others to be careful. If you are feeling any kind of shock from your RV get it fixed! Because something is wrong. As shown in the photo bad things do get out of the factory and through dealers. We were very lucky no one got hurt. And I have learned a lot over these last few years. One of witch is not to trust RV dealers or repair people. I know there not all bad. But they all look the same. So from now on I do test and check everything myself!