Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #11

This can be a serious problem. I had this on my trailer. If ground is damp, it could cause huge problem, especially for little ones. Get a polarity tester and make sure the plug you are using is wired correctly first. Reverse polarity can cause it. My problem was in the trailer connect where I plugged in the cord to my trailer. It had leaked a little in rainy weather and corroded at the connections inside the trailer. Took delaer almost a week to find the problem, thankfully it still under warrenty. They replaced the trailer connection device and problem went away. Please have this checked out immediately, before someone gets hurt.

2013 Jayco Flight 32TSBH
:USA::USA:
Proud Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:04 PM   #12

very scared now

Ok - I do have a 15 amp ext cord w ground/ I have the smaller 15/30 adapter but ordered the dogbone one.

I will get tester at home depot today. I will look into a fluke tester now.

NOTE; this does not happen at any campground i remember - ONLY at home
so im hoping its the house plug.

My problem is - most handymen electricians are kinda unschooled in RV setup - I.e setting up a 30 amp so you can plug generator to my house.

Ok - ive 2 small kids that I will keep away from trailer- and will unplug till I get help .
IF it is the 15amp plug at home, what sould I be doing to it - ---
I am very dumb w electricity

doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonkin View Post
Ok - I do have a 15 amp ext cord w ground/ I have the smaller 15/30 adapter but ordered the dogbone one.

I will get tester at home depot today. I will look into a fluke tester now.

NOTE; this does not happen at any campground i remember - ONLY at home
so im hoping its the house plug.

My problem is - most handymen electricians are kinda unschooled in RV setup - I.e setting up a 30 amp so you can plug generator to my house.

Ok - ive 2 small kids that I will keep away from trailer- and will unplug till I get help .
Most likely a ground issue. Are you on romex wiring or conduit? Romex is the plastic coated cable, conduit is the metal piping. The conduit acts as the ground otherwise you have a green wire with the romex. Have to make sure it's connected at each end, the main panel and the receptacle. If your not familiar with electric I would have someone who is check it. May not be a big issue to fix, could be just connecting the ground wire. I would also check for reverse polarity...ie.. white wire connected to the silver screw and black wire (hot) connected to brass screw on outlet.

This is something you want to be concerned about, it should not happen.

Good Luck.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Ok - I will look into a fluke tester now.
The fluke tester will only detect if there is voltage present. It will not tell you if things are connected correctly.

Quote:
Your best bet is to hire an licensed electrician if there are outlet problem rather than take it on yourself.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:30 AM   #15

ok- is THIS the problem?

I had my 30 amp plugged into (via adapter)one of those office plug strips, w THATplugged into the 15amp mains plug. ONCE I plugged the ext cord directy into mains I cant feel the electrical tingle anymore.
Im def going to get a dedicated 30amp plug installed, and buy that tester.
Can anyone recommend an outside (under covered oatio) 30amp recpticke- home depot only had inside ones.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:43 AM   #16

GE 30-Amp Temporary RV Power Outlet-U013P - The Home Depot

This would work for you. I would suggest you turn the breaker off when plugging in or unplugging your RV. After plugging in then turn the breaker on, this is also a good habit to get into at campgrounds.

Good Luck.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
GE 30-Amp Temporary RV Power Outlet-U013P - The Home Depot

This would work for you. I would suggest you turn the breaker off when plugging in or unplugging your RV. After plugging in then turn the breaker on, this is also a good habit to get into at campgrounds.

Good Luck.
That's what I put on my one shop and what my 23rb is plugged into right now. Trailer being parked there is blocking my shooting area though. Not really so much blocking it as I would be showering my trailer with brass when I shoot. So I have a guy coming out to level a pad next to my other shop out of the way. That shop is also where I'm going to keep the trailer inside during winter.

I put a 30 amp plug in inside so I could plug the trailer in while it's inside.
Then I bought a cord door from the local rv place like the one that's on the outside of our trailers and put it into the shop wall.

Now when the pad is done I can park my trailer there outside and run my camper power cord through that door and plug it in inside the bldg.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:18 AM   #18
Site Team

That box pictured is what I use. The receptacle is not what is weather proof, it's the box. I also bought a small 2 breaker box and installed a 30 and a 15a breaker in it. I mounted a external weather proof box with a GFCI outlet in it for general use on the pedestal. I can turn them off when I am not home and it also keeps the power off the plug in connections when hooking up.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #19

'This would work for you. I would suggest you turn the breaker off when plugging in or unplugging your RV. After plugging in then turn the breaker on, this is also a good habit to get into at campgrounds.

turn the breaker off in camper, and/or at outlet.

at campground, i always turn breaker of, plug in, the flip breaker on.
Ironically, i never do this plugging in at home-bad habit!

Ok,
I just got the dogbone 15-30 adapter

I ordered the fluke volt alert- i bought the wrong thing at home depot- klein tools voltage tester (looks EXACTLY the same)

Im getiing the 30amp receptacle today from HD and getting an electrician to install this weekend.

Thanks all for scaring me into action everyone- I wasnt taking this problem seriously at all
Old 09-17-2015, 11:23 AM   #20

Quote:
'This would work for you. I would suggest you turn the breaker off when plugging in or unplugging your RV. After plugging in then turn the breaker on, this is also a good habit to get into at campgrounds.

turn the breaker off in camper, and/or at outlet.

at campground, i always turn breaker of, plug in, the flip breaker on.
Ironically, i never do this plugging in at home-bad habit!

Ok,
I just got the dogbone 15-30 adapter

I ordered the fluke volt alert- i bought the wrong thing at home depot- klein tools voltage tester (looks EXACTLY the same)

Im getiing the 30amp receptacle today from HD and getting an electrician to install this weekend.

Thanks all for scaring me into action everyone- I wasnt taking this problem seriously at all
At this point not sure you need the fluke volt alert, this is not a major problem at campgrounds that I have found, and, at home your issue is taken care off. The dog bone will not be needed at home, but, not bad to carry with "just in case".
Not trying to scare anyone, but, electrical issues are not something to ignore. Thanks for bringing this to everyone, may just help a few others that didn't realize they had an issue.

Good Luck and happy camping !