Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-16-2015, 12:38 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Glendale
Posts: 149
Getting small shock from camper?

I suspect this is a common problem- and hoping w a simple solution.

When plugged in, in driveway, TT gives off a small shock. Your arm touches metal frame of outside storage cubby, for example, you can def feel the voltage tingle. This is our 2nd TT, and both had this issue, so I'm sure it's my reg extension cable>to 30amp adapter n not the camper.

I'm a dunce when it comes to the juice but I suspect I need to get an electrician to install a dedicated 30amp plug on the outside of my house to plug into.

Is this right?

Thx in advance
__________________

doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:25 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ninilchik, Alaska
Posts: 95
leak

It is probably a ground problem.
Installing a 30 amp service at your house is an easy job but if your are an electrical clutz hiring an electrician is the way to go.

I had a problem like that a long time back and the leak was in the transformer of a 12/120 volt TV. It went into the can. Problem solved.

Good luck
__________________

__________________
2012 JAYCO BUNGALOW Jayflight 40FER
2004.5 Dodge Ram; CTD; 3500 Dually; CC; 4x4; 6 spd. 5600; Smarty Jr.
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:04 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 16
This happened when we used a different plug at the house to power the trailer. The plug was improperly grounded causing the shock. The dealer called it "hot skin."
gmucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:41 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1
I just had this happen at our last camp site and are not sure if it has always happened (new TT) or if it was the first time. We may have just noticed it cause it was raining out during setup. We took a meter and found 40-ish volts between the frame and ground. I use those yellow Lego bricks under the stabilizers thus no metal was touching the ground. I then removed them on 1 stabilizer and let it make contact to the ground and the voltage went away.

I will be watching during out travels this next month to see if it's the TT or just bad camp site wiring...
chrisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:00 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
us71na's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: McKean, PA
Posts: 428
Get an outlet tester and check the outlet you are plugging the trailer into. Cost is less than $20.
I have one plugged into a 30 amp adapter that I use every time we travel before I connect my trailer to a power post.

If your outlet checks good then you have a grounding problem in your trailer.
__________________
2011 Skylark 21FKV
us71na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:20 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
RoyBraddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: King George
Posts: 2,398
Be sure you are using all three conductors on your extension cord. This is where the earth ground comes from for your trailer.

I also will not ever use one of those small round RV30A-15A adapters. I use the long dogbone type.

Also my 50-foot Extension cords is a heavy duty 10-gauge (10-3) construction type extension cord. It is plugged into a 20-AMP receptacle inside my garage. My long RV30A-15A adapter (WALMART) is laying in the middle of the yard where the trailer shore power cable plugs into it. I have a small plastic box with a lid housing the adapter to keep water away from it...

Nothing ever gets warm to touch and my 120VAC is very stable... We can run everything in our trailer including the air conditioner but do have to watch which high wattage items are running at the same time. This will trip the garage 20AMP breaker...

I tested the 20AMP garage receptacle with one of those circuit testers shown in the thread above...

Don't take this small shock Lightly.. Electric shock does different things to different folks or animals... Get this resolved right away... Sure wouldn't want anything to happen to a grandchild or your beloved fur babies...

Roy Ken
__________________
Roy and Carolyn
I claim Horse Creek Country in Southern Ill - Momabear is from North Texas
We live in King George VA
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:21 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
RVhiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,253
This is a dangerous situation. What it means is that 120v AC is somehow connecting with the frame and skin of your trailer and that the electrical ground is not draining off that voltage. So when you touch the skin of your trailer, your body is draining off that voltage. Obviously not safe and obviously must be fixed. My suggestion is to leave the trailer unplugged until it is fixed.
__________________
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:29 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Iraqvet05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
Get an outlet tester and check the outlet you are plugging the trailer into. Cost is less than $20.
I have one plugged into a 30 amp adapter that I use every time we travel before I connect my trailer to a power post.

If your outlet checks good then you have a grounding problem in your trailer.
X2

They are $5 at Home Depot
__________________
2013 26BH w/ 4 plain rims and some rust
2001 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 gasser
Black Bear programmed ECM
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #9
Member
 
Dream Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 69
Rv hot skin !

The outlet tester is NO GOOD! you need "Fluke Volt-Alert"

RV Hot skin is VERY dangerous thing!!!!
MANY MANY KIDS DIED touching Hot Skinned RV's
(as their heart can't handle the shocks very well)

This is a VERY serious issue - you need to fix it ASAP!
Please take the time to watch the entire video and pay attention!

Boy dies from touching RV. What went wrong?


Ever feel a tingle when touching an RV? Danger! Watch this!


Fluke Volt-Alert



__________________
2010 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2015 Jayco SLX 184BH
+ Andersen No Sway WDH
Dream Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:45 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 222
Having done home wiring after self-educating and passing the local test for homeowners in MD when I lived there, I wanted to confirm what I figured the wiring problem was, so I referenced a picture.



Credit to Mike Holt

Basically proper 3 wire wiring the ground and common (white) are the same (when it gets to the breaker box they are on the same leg), but in the mis-wired outlet those are hot (black) and the ground is where the hot lead usually goes. Just wanted to make sure my wired outlets were good, this is a huge mistake in wiring.
__________________

__________________
New to me 27BH towed by 4.6 Tundra
Dirkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.