Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2018, 08:56 AM   #1

Glacier Package and Hitch Install

I have a 2017 Whitehawk 28DSBH with glacier package. I'm planning on welding up a frame mounted receiver for bikes but dealer wasn't sure if it would be an issue with the glacier package due to the insulation underbody... My trailer is a few hours away right now so I can't look underneath to verify. Has anyone installed a frame mounted receiver with glacier package? I know there are dozens of threads about hitches, bumpers mounts, etc but I didn't see any threads specific to this question.

TIA
igere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:18 AM   #2

I don't have that trailer but I do have the underfloor insulation and plastic sheeting over the whole bottom. I was looking at what I need to do for a welded hitch and you would need to drop the plastic down. Need to make sure there's no wiring that get heated and the plastic will burn too. This is for welding to the bottom of the I-beam flanges.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by igere View Post
I have a 2017 Whitehawk 28DSBH with glacier package. I'm planning on welding up a frame mounted receiver for bikes but dealer wasn't sure if it would be an issue with the glacier package due to the insulation underbody... My trailer is a few hours away right now so I can't look underneath to verify. Has anyone installed a frame mounted receiver with glacier package? I know there are dozens of threads about hitches, bumpers mounts, etc but I didn't see any threads specific to this question.

TIA
I have a Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE with covered underbelly and frame is probably the same as your trailer. What I did is weld angle iron to 12" long hitch receiver and bolt to the hitch receiver mount on trailer I-Beam frame. The angle iron kinda hang onto the trailer I-beam frame and the bolts hold it in place and act as additional support. I custom made the kayak/bike hitch that uses two hitch receivers.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBATFAMILY View Post
I have a Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE with covered underbelly and frame is probably the same as your trailer. What I did is weld angle iron to 12" long hitch receiver and bolt to the hitch receiver mount on trailer I-Beam frame. The angle iron kinda hang onto the trailer I-beam frame and the bolts hold it in place and act as additional support. I custom made the kayak/bike hitch that uses two hitch receivers.

Do you have pics of the brackets you fabbed up? Thanks for responding.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:40 AM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1058.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	43581
I hook angle iron to I beam and weld angle iron into hitch receiver. I can remove the hitch receivers if I sell my trailer. The weight of the bike/kayak rack is supported by the I-beams. Very sturdy.
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
Old 08-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	43582
The only thing that is welded is angle iron to hitch receiver.
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
Old 08-28-2018, 01:27 PM   #7

My dealer sent me to an Iron shop that put a heavy duty bumper with receiver on it. It replaced my bumper with sewer line storage, the new one also has sewer storage. The only thing that I did not have done was for them to put a trailer light plug .
turbo130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBATFAMILY View Post
Attachment 43581
I hook angle iron to I beam and weld angle iron into hitch receiver. I can remove the hitch receivers if I sell my trailer. The weight of the bike/kayak rack is supported by the I-beams. Very sturdy.
Very clean looking install, impressive. And no need to remove plastic or insulation, correct?