Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2022, 09:18 AM   #1

Go power prewired

My Jayco 2021 212qb is prewired for solar, I looking for a system battery tending only. I am thinking of a 20 watt system. Has anyone purchased the system that e trailer sells? I am looking for advice.
Kenny
kenny garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 03:14 PM   #2

Are you wanting to put something up on the roof where the "pre wire" is setup or are you just wanting to plug something into the tongue connector to trickle charge the battery?

Where is the trailer stored, is it at home or a storage location?

My trailer has OEM solar, however if I just wanted to do a trickle charge via solar and I stored the trailer at home I would just pick up a panel from Amazon or heck even Harbor Freight. ETrailer in my opinion is way to pricy for that sort of item. Just remember that if you are using the connector on the tongue of the trailer that it needs to have a solar panel and charge controller, not just the panel.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
Are you wanting to put something up on the roof where the "pre wire" is setup or are you just wanting to plug something into the tongue connector to trickle charge the battery?

Where is the trailer stored, is it at home or a storage location?

My trailer has OEM solar, however if I just wanted to do a trickle charge via solar and I stored the trailer at home I would just pick up a panel from Amazon or heck even Harbor Freight. ETrailer in my opinion is way to pricy for that sort of item. Just remember that if you are using the connector on the tongue of the trailer that it needs to have a solar panel and charge controller, not just the panel.
Are you saying my 2020 Jayco is prewired to the roof?
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 06:16 PM   #4

Depending on how they word it, if it says prewired solar or prewired inverter, then yes. There should be a junction box on the roof or a spot to put one and they should have run the wire for the charger and down to the battery box area. There is also usually the prewire that is at the tongue of the trailer with a little port to plug a panel and controller into. So it depends, and would need to know more about the trailer etc..
Old 04-07-2022, 12:06 PM   #5

I can not find any capped off wire at tongue of trailer. There is the pre-wire connection on the roof also sticker inside the camper where you’re supposed to mount the controller I’m looking at something just for charging batteries. Thinking of 20 W panel, any idea where the wires exit the camper for a battery connection.
Thanks Kenny
Old 04-07-2022, 01:04 PM   #6

I would look all over the outside, usually toward the front of the trailer but could honestly be anywhere. But the connection on the tongue that I was talking about is usually called "Solar on the side" so look for that sticker.

As for the cables for the prewire, the ones from the roof go down into that area behind that sticker on the wall. that is where you would mount a PWM charge controller if you had a larger panel on the roof. Those wires already connect up to the battery connections so its usually plug and play. But more complicated than a 20w panel needs to be.

Honestly depending how you want to mount it you could easily mount a 20w panel to say the plastic outside of the propane cover and direct connect wires to the battery. You could just set it there if stationary or if wanting to keep it on while moving use Velcro or doble sided tape to stick it on.

Here is an option for this, https://www.harborfreight.com/25-wat...nel-63940.html

Look at the second picture on the reviews, its exactly what I was talking about.

If you want to go to 200w or more then it gets more complicated and while you can do it with portable panels its easier on the roof.
Old 04-07-2022, 01:27 PM   #7

Thank you for your reply I was hoping to go something with a more permanent install. I was looking for the roof install to keep the battery charged. every time I go pick the camper up from storage lot the battery is dead. I have watched a few videos and people pretty much just installed the controller and it appears that the wires are already connected to the battery system if that’s the case there wouldn’t be any wires at the battery box. Have you done a install yet?
Kenny
Old 04-07-2022, 02:46 PM   #8

I have not done the install myself, it doesn't look hard but you have to be willing to cut things :-) Yes to the wires, they are all there and should be all hooked up. If you can before you hook anything up you might want to do a continuity check to make sure but they should be good to go. All you would have to do is install the panel on the roof and the controller inside. If I can depending on your trailer there might be a better location for the charge controller as well so using the existing wires you could possibly put it in a better location and not have a hole in your wall.

I don't know which trailer you have but here is a guy who has the same as me and did the install that you will need to walk through.
Old 05-02-2022, 12:35 PM   #9

Installed my Go-Power kit today on my 2021 212qb, I work slow and careful and it still only took about 2 hours my main problem was getting the wires out of the wall, they were tangled around some other wires. I installed the 20 watt kit, only for battery charging when in storage.
Kenny Garrett.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:37 AM   #10

I just installed the 200w renogy kit. Super easy if you have the solar prep on the roof. In my case the leads from roof and battery where tucked behind a panel in my front compartment by the wet bay. If you have a sticker in the coach, the leads will be behind that. It's a good idea to get the charge controller as close to the battery as possible tho. In some cases the leads aren't cut, you can test that by checking for battery voltage up on the roof. This is handy if you want the controller else where, just have to find the wires further down the line. The positive and ground should already be hooked up. If you have a battery disconnect switch, pull the panel it's mounted to and I bet theres a diagram and already a 30 amp breaker to battery connected.

A 20 watt panel, especially in low sunlight conditions, may not be enough.
Peter284bhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 11:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter284bhok View Post
I just installed the 200w renogy kit. Super easy if you have the solar prep on the roof. In my case the leads from roof and battery where tucked behind a panel in my front compartment by the wet bay. If you have a sticker in the coach, the leads will be behind that. It's a good idea to get the charge controller as close to the battery as possible tho. In some cases the leads aren't cut, you can test that by checking for battery voltage up on the roof. This is handy if you want the controller else where, just have to find the wires further down the line. The positive and ground should already be hooked up. If you have a battery disconnect switch, pull the panel it's mounted to and I bet theres a diagram and already a 30 amp breaker to battery connected.

A 20 watt panel, especially in low sunlight conditions, may not be enough.
I’ve been looking for info on how to test it the wires are cut for a week now.. so just pop a voltmeter in the roof connections and check for 12v? I’m thinking I can intercept the wires somewhere near the pass through and mount my controller there.
tbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 05:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbourne View Post
I’ve been looking for info on how to test it the wires are cut for a week now.. so just pop a voltmeter in the roof connections and check for 12v? I’m thinking I can intercept the wires somewhere near the pass through and mount my controller there.

Yes, a voltmeter on the roof connections will show power if connected to the 12v battery.

Seems standardization isn't a thing at the factory. I'd guess most are factory cut and capped where the "solar ready" label is. There should be a sticker / schematic near the battery disconnect / auto reset breaker power distribution area that shows which wire is from the roof connector. On my 5er it was stuck behind a close out panel that took 3 screws to remove.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 07:16 AM   #13

If all you want to do is maintain your battery and keeping it simple here's a plan.

I purchased mine from Amazon in two parts. A cable assembly with ring terminals on the battery and a small 20 watt panel that plugged into the other side.

Battery Tender Ring Terminal Harness Accessory Cable, Cord Adapter with SAE Quick Disconnect https://a.co/d/fuDIcZh

SUNER POWER 12V Solar Car Battery Charger & Maintainer, 6W Waterproof Solar Trickle Charger, Portable Solar Charger, High Efficiency Solar Panel Kit for Deep Cycle Marine RV Trailer Boat https://a.co/d/g6JzKPN

It wasn't these exact models, I did it several years ago before going to a 200 watt on the roof install.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 06:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Yes, a voltmeter on the roof connections will show power if connected to the 12v battery.

Seems standardization isn't a thing at the factory. I'd guess most are factory cut and capped where the "solar ready" label is. There should be a sticker / schematic near the battery disconnect / auto reset breaker power distribution area that shows which wire is from the roof connector. On my 5er it was stuck behind a close out panel that took 3 screws to remove.
Looks like I have 13.6v up top at the connectors. Since I’m plugged into shore power seems like the wires are not cut! So I should be able to intercept that, pull it into the pass through, wire in a controller, and throw some panels up top? I’m guessing I’ll have to add my own ground if I can’t find the one from up top?

I do see a single 8awg red wire going into the positive battery block. Anyway to test that it’s my solar?
Attached Thumbnails
9E205DB6-1F7E-44B0-9520-E2B23109AC39.jpg  
Old 04-15-2023, 06:19 PM   #15

If you can disconnect that from the block it should be dead. Also the neg is prob going to a ground block. You should be able to add the controller anywhere you want. Also make sure to add some breakers (both + and - side) for the panels so that you can totally shut them off if ever needed.
Old 04-15-2023, 06:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
If you can disconnect that from the block it should be dead. Also the neg is prob going to a ground block. You should be able to add the controller anywhere you want. Also make sure to add some breakers (both + and - side) for the panels so that you can totally shut them off if ever needed.
I can’t believe I actually asked that.. duh, disconnect then go back up top and check for power. Sorry about that, and sorry I hijacked this thread. I guess it’s all prewire related!

Thanks again, this gives me what I need to start ordering components. Was waiting to see if I’d be forced into PMW flush mount on the wall!
Old 04-15-2023, 09:08 PM   #17

Kenny...I was thinking of the same set up. I took my TT in for service last week and ask them about solar while I was there. On my 2021 TT Jayco 242 BHS, there is NO homerun wiring from roof to battery's. Yes, it says prewired but not all the way to battery box. The service guy said its wired from the roof to a junction box on the tounge. So I would need to wire from junction box to batteries. They wanted $1800 for 200w system. No thanks.
N Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 05:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Saban View Post
Kenny...I was thinking of the same set up. I took my TT in for service last week and ask them about solar while I was there. On my 2021 TT Jayco 242 BHS, there is NO homerun wiring from roof to battery's. Yes, it says prewired but not all the way to battery box. The service guy said its wired from the roof to a junction box on the tounge. So I would need to wire from junction box to batteries. They wanted $1800 for 200w system. No thanks.
Mine was pretty easy it was pre-wired all the way to the battery. It was a matter of installing the controller and the wall is in the wires out to do that and installing the panels on the roof.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny garrett View Post
Mine was pretty easy it was pre-wired all the way to the battery. It was a matter of installing the controller and the wall is in the wires out to do that and installing the panels on the roof.
So it was a home run wiring…all the way to battery? Or was there a second wire from the junction box? Can you send me a picture what looks like? Do you have 2 batteries…what’s that connection look like?
N Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 04:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Saban View Post
So it was a home run wiring…all the way to battery? Or was there a second wire from the junction box? Can you send me a picture what looks like? Do you have 2 batteries…what’s that connection look like?
My camper is in storage so I cannot send any pictures. I have two batteries, the batteries or tire together. This has nothing to do with you have two batteries or one battery once you find your wire in the wall, put a bolt meter on it and see if you’re reading your 12 V from the battery should be a red wire and a black wire in the wall. Two of those one goes to the roof. The other set goes to the battery connection box on the tongue.