Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #1

Godawful screeching noise towing

So we successfully completed our first outing with our new first trailer 267BHSW. All went well and everything worked as advertised.
Went to trailer home and the hitch makes a noise like 50,000 miles on 40,000 mile brakes. We thought is was the WDH (Equilizer), so I stopped and disconnected and reconnected from scratch. Same thing. While driving straight, all is fine, but as soon as we slow down to turn, screeching and groaning. The ball seems fine.
What else can this be?

Thanks,

Pat
deewaltguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:02 PM   #2

My Equalizer is a bit noisy on turns. some squealing, groaning etc. but nothing as bad as you are describing. Did you lubricate the places the manual directs you to? If it really bothers you there are "Pads" you can buy that will quiet it down some.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:17 PM   #3

X2.

You are hearing the hitch working. It uses friction - metal against metal - You can reduce and nearly eliminate the squeeks, and as a side effect, also reduce the amount of anti-sway that you get out of your hitch.

I initially greased up all the pivot points, and also the ends of the spring bars, + the hitch head on mine, but wiped out most of it (except on the hitch head itself) when I realized I was degrading the performance of the hitch by making it quiet. I'd probably try the pads that Marcm157 mentioned if it bugs you... but that screeching noise is normal.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:54 PM   #4

A little more info

So this was our first excursion with the camper, but we did tow it home from the dealer (45 min trip) when it made a little noise, we towed it to the campground where it also made a little noise (1 hr trip).
when we towed it home from the campground it made a lot of noise.
Does this still seem normal?
Old 04-02-2017, 04:12 PM   #5

Lube the ball. Metal on Metal to the point of that much noise is not normal. Working at campgrounds where we get over 10,000 units in a summer I rarely hear one that make much noise at all.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #6

I almost hate to admit it, but my wife was saying that all the way home. Next outing isnt for a month, so the fix will have to wait, but I appreciate the suggestions.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #7

I slather my ball with grease ( this is the only forum I can get away with saying that) The manual that came with your hitch probably specifies where to lube it's hard to know if what you are describing is normal. Mine creaks and squeals a bit.. but nothing alarming.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:53 PM   #8

Needs a bit of grease. Equalizer on their Website tells you where to grease the hitch.

About every 1500 miles I wipe the grease off the ball and apply new high temp bearing grease. When the ball is not in use I cover it with a solo cup. Don't recall the size but I think it's a 12 Oz cup. Fits like a glove, and does not come off while driving at freeway speeds.

Next place to grease is the pivot points at the knuckle. I happen to use 600W Rear axle grease, as I have lots of it. Equalizer sells a small squeeze tube of a clear grease that looks like Vaseline. I reapply grease here a bit more often.

Since greasing the hitch I have nearly zero noise.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...KwgfvW3d7Z_e1g

Good luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:02 PM   #9

I have the same trailer and same hitch. Had that noise happen once after a 5 hr tow, also only as I did slow turns through the campground. I have lubed the hitch ball ever since and haven't heard the noise again. I now clean and lube the hitch ball every trip. For what it's worth I do apply a small amount of grease on the pivot points at the hitch too. Beware of how messy it can be handling the hitch afterwards though. Nothing worse then getting grease everywhere you touch.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:07 PM   #10

The noise is normal. It's the equalizer doing what it's designed to do. You can lube it per manufacture's instructions. See your manual or the website. Don't just grease it up. That would reduce the effectiveness of the anti sway and other properties.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2017 Jayco 28RLS
2018 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.2L Gas
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Greg&Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:42 PM   #11

Thanks, all, we feel a lot better. I guess it was the increase in racket between the first two trips and and the third. As it was only a few weeks old, I hadn't thought about the manual and normal maintenance. I was thinking I had perhaps screwed something up.
JayC, I also pull the 267 with a Ram CC 1500 Hemi. It seemed to handle it pretty well.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
My Equalizer is a bit noisy on turns. some squealing, groaning etc. but nothing as bad as you are describing. Did you lubricate the places the manual directs you to? If it really bothers you there are "Pads" you can buy that will quiet it down some.
Where did you get your Equalizer installed? We are close to you and were thinking of going to Len-Rich in Marlboro. Have you heard anything about them?
2017 Jayco Jayflight 28bhbe Elite and thermal package
2014 Jayco White Hawk 28dsbh(traded in)
mesuezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:58 PM   #13

I really like the combo. Plenty of power for that trailer and I only have the 3:21 rear end. I upgraded to the 4 point Equalizer hitch last season and it made the tow even better. I feel the 267 is a good trailer for the 1/2 ton trucks. My hitch still makes the normal Equalizer hitch noises. You just get used to it. Get some lube on that hitch ball and your grinding noise should go away.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesuezee View Post
Where did you get your Equalizer installed? We are close to you and were thinking of going to Len-Rich in Marlboro. Have you heard anything about them?
I did it myself - Very easy to do and I'd be glad to give you a hand...

I try hard not to have my trailer or vehicles serviced by anyone if I can help it. I have a fully equipped shop in my backyard. I have heard nothing about Len-Rich but have heard very good things about Price Rite on 17K in Montgomery.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewaltguy View Post
So we successfully completed our first outing with our new first trailer 267BHSW. All went well and everything worked as advertised.
Went to trailer home and the hitch makes a noise like 50,000 miles on 40,000 mile brakes. We thought is was the WDH (Equilizer), so I stopped and disconnected and reconnected from scratch. Same thing. While driving straight, all is fine, but as soon as we slow down to turn, screeching and groaning. The ball seems fine.
What else can this be?

Thanks,

Pat
If the dealer set up your hitch, I would suggest you take the time, dig out the manual and reset it up yourself. We had the same experience and I discovered that although the trailer looked pretty level when hooked up it was actually nose down more than it should have been. This caused the equalizer bars to contact the L brackets on the edge rather than flat across the whole bracket causing excessive noise (more than the usual expected noise). I measured the trailer from frame to ground at both the front and back corners to get it as level as possible, adjusted the hitch position on the shank and redid all of the measurements with and without the hitch bars and changing the number of washers accordingly. Now the bars lay evenly across the L brackets and wear evenly and the noise is back to normal. I have since added the plastic bracket covers and it has quieted it some more.
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:40 AM   #16

Our squeaking went away after the about the 5th time over the Rockies. No worries it'll go away.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Needs a bit of grease. Equalizer on their Website tells you where to grease the hitch.

About every 1500 miles I wipe the grease off the ball and apply new high temp bearing grease. When the ball is not in use I cover it with a solo cup. Don't recall the size but I think it's a 12 Oz cup. Fits like a glove, and does not come off while driving at freeway speeds.

Next place to grease is the pivot points at the knuckle. I happen to use 600W Rear axle grease, as I have lots of it. Equalizer sells a small squeeze tube of a clear grease that looks like Vaseline. I reapply grease here a bit more often.

Since greasing the hitch I have nearly zero noise.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...KwgfvW3d7Z_e1g

Good luck
I also have the equalizer hitch, recently it has been making even louder noises and pops. Can someone tell me if there is a special lubricant you need to grease the ball? Or will anything work (vaseline, WD-40, etc?)
Thanks

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #18

Equilizer's website states to use their lubricant or other high temperature bearing grease. I think I'll order a tube and a package of replacement L-pins to have on hand.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
I also have the equalizer hitch, recently it has been making even louder noises and pops. Can someone tell me if there is a special lubricant you need to grease the ball? Or will anything work (vaseline, WD-40, etc?)
Thanks
WD40 is not a lubricant. Vaseline is a low temp grease, it would probably just run out after a bit of use

As noted above, on the ball I use regular old high temp bearing grease.

As for the knuckle, you can buy a lubricate from Equalizer, but bearing grease should work just fine. In the video from my earlier post it shows were to grease the knuckle itself.

As for the popping sound, make sure the nuts that secure the knuckle pivot points are torqued adequately. Mine were loose last year and had some popping sounds for a couple trips.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #20

I also use just high temp bearing grease on both the hitch ball and knuckle.