Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2018, 07:28 AM   #1

Goodyear Endurance

Yesterday changed out my 3 year old Rainier tires for Goodyear Endurance. I had no issues with the Rainier tires, but thought was time with about 8k miles. So thinking the Goodyear are USA made and going from rating of C to D load capacity and higher speed rating should all be good.

Larry J
2015 Jayco SLX 264BHW
2016 Chevy 2500HD, 6.0 gas (Piggie)
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #2

I put the GY Endurance on my new TT a few weeks after purchase as I had read numerous negative comments on made in china tires. OEM tires were CastleRocks and had maybe 1500 miles on 'em, delivery to dealer and one trip my me. Can't really say if I notice any difference in towing so far, but hope the quality/durability GY's have will give me some piece of mind.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:16 AM   #3

I have two questions for anyone who switched to Goodyear Endurance tires.

Where did you find the best price?

Did you change wheels to allow for the higher pressure when upgrading ( C to D for example.) My current tires are 50 lbs. , upgrade to D would be 65 pounds pressure. No marks on rims as to max pressure. I am worried the rims won't stand the higher pressure. They are in perfect shape and hate to spend the extra money for no reason.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post

Did you change wheels to allow for the higher pressure when upgrading ( C to D for example.) My current tires are 50 lbs. , upgrade to D would be 65 pounds pressure. No marks on rims as to max pressure. I am worried the rims won't stand the higher pressure. They are in perfect shape and hate to spend the extra money for no reason.
Rims may be stamped on the inside showing what pressure they are designed for.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #5

My 5ver came with Rainier. I HATE chinese tires. So when I noticed it had them, I told the dealer he switches them to GY like he told me they were going to be or no deal. My last camper had a blow out that damaged the skirting. I rather have the piece of mind. The dealer actually got Jayco to cover the switch as the dealer told me that they ONLY order the Maxxis or GY on their trailers for the same reason I didn't like the Chinese tires. He completely agreed with my concern and I looked and ALL their 5vers had Maxxis or GY tires. Jayco made a mistake on their order (I bought my camper off the lot.)

You made the right decision.
Chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #6

Quote:

I changed over to GY D rated from China Bomb C rated a year ago and could really tell a difference in the way it towed. I did not have to change rims 75/205/14 size tires. One added plus is I do not feel as much bounce when walking in the camper after we are set up. I feel comfortable at 65 mph with these tires.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:14 PM   #7

RogerR,

You might not need more air pressure. There are a lot misconceptions and bad information/advice on the internet about RV tire pressures with varying tire sizes and ratings. The manufacturers all have tire load/inflation tables available but they don't necessarily tell you what to do when changing tire sizes/ratings. The most knowledgeable source I have found online is a blog by Roger Marble who is a tire design and quality engineer with over 40 years experience. His blog is a wealth of information.

Here is a link to his discussion about how much air pressure to use when changing tire sizes/ratings: RV Tire Safety: Inflation On his blog there is an index to other articles in the left column.

Happy reading.
DNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:21 PM   #8

Quote:

To answer your first question I called two different Goodyear company stores. The second one I called was $200 lower than the first. The first store charged $30 to mount w/out balance, the second store included in tire price. The first store wanted to charge $10/tire for new valves (said required), the second included new valves. Also the second store gave me a $10/tire break since I was bringing in the tires loose (off trailer).
And the second store gave me a $10/tire for bringing the tires in off the trailer.

Second question--The odds are the max pressure stamp is painted over. I spoke to Jayco when I upgraded my tires and was given their suppliers phone number. The supplier told me the rims are rated for 65psi.

I've replaced the suspension bushings with wet bolts and replaced 4 tires with Endurance. Ride is better. The first trip after doing the work I forgot a drinking glass on the counter and drove over 100 miles. Got home and the glass was still on the counter. Previous trip with OEM suspension and tires, on the same road, same speed had cabinets messed up and the few things (book, napkin holder, cell phone charger) on the floor. Just my personal experience.

Anyway, check around with several tire dealers to find the best deal you can get. And you might want to keep the old tires, if they are in good shape. I sold mine at $50 each, recovering about 40% of the price of the new Endurance tires.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:17 PM   #9

I stayed with same size/load range (205/75/15) & 65 psi, so no issues with rims
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:22 PM   #10

My GY Endurance were OEM from Jayco factory.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:19 AM   #11

LR E can be mounted if wheel stamped with 2830 on inside of wheel, should be still visible even with painting if you pull one from hub. 80 psi needs a suitable stem for that pressure level. May as well go metal if you want TPMS down the road.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #12

Quote:

I forgot to mention in previous post that Discount Tire Mounted all 4 and the spare and balanced for much cheaper than anyone else, had a longer & better warranty than Goodyear directly, and did the whole mount in about 45 minutes with an appointment.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote