Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #1

Got mice :(

Waaaaaahhhhhhh
Put my camper away in an outdoor storage yard, cleaned it real good, winterized, and thought I buttoned it up good enough but I still got mice Saw the evidence in the front storage and inside the camper as well. Hubby and I put more steel wool in any hole we could find inside and set 4 traps inside to catch any in there. Now what? I am so upset. Anyone have any idea how they get in?
lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:15 PM   #2

They can get in an opening as small as a 1/4 inch.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:42 PM   #3

I always have sticky traps in the RV. Keep checking them. Dead mice stink. Keep your silverware, dishtowels, etc. in upper cupboards when not in use. Wipe lower surfaces and drawers with Clorox type wipes when you return.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:07 PM   #4

Got mice too. They seem to be on the counter but not on the floor. I see their droppings on the sink covers. I set glue traps out but they are not taking the bait. I'm going old school and gonna snap their necks. Sorry. I hate the destructive little buggers.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:17 PM   #5

I had some rolls of paper towels in there along with dish towels and they ate a hole in the towel and shredded the paper towels. Didnt think those would create an issue in there. Removed anything they can use for nesting other than my foam eggcrate for the mattress.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:44 PM   #6

We often get rats in our attic in the winter and sometimes mice in the garage. Our trailer is parked on the side of our house and I'm horrified thinking the mice or rats might get in there too. Thank you for sharing tips on keeping them out!!
MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:27 AM   #7

I also keep a piece of pipe under the RV with poison in it. Bait outside, traps inside.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:52 AM   #8

We are currently experiencing Norwegian Roof Rat issues in our garage - but the bait content has changed and isn't near as effective; info about d-Con per Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-CON. History: "In June 2014, Reckitt Benckiser and the EPA came to an agreement to end legal action. RB agreed to stop manufacturing twelve products with loose pellets or powder by the end of 2014, with distribution to retailers ending no later than March 31, 2015. Retailers could continue to sell existing stock indefinitely. Eight of the twelve products contained second-generation anticoagulants (brodifacoum or difethialone), which the company agreed not to use in its replacement products." Ingredients: "Prior to 2015, d-CON primarily used two active ingredients in the bait products. In the rat bait pellets, mouse bait pellets, place packs, and wedge baits, the active ingredient was brodifacoum, typically at 0.005% concentration. In contrast, earlier d-CON products that used warfarin had 0.5% concentration. In the refillable and disposable bait stations, the active ingredient was (and still is) diphacinone. The use of brodifacoum was discontinued at the end of 2014 following an agreement with the EPA, and was replaced with less potent first-generation vitamin K anticoagulants such as diphacinone."

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
We are currently experiencing Norwegian Roof Rat issues in our garage - but the bait content has changed and isn't near as effective; info
about d-Con per Wikipedia: ."
I have found that your best Bert although more costly, call a professional.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:38 AM   #10

We had mice in the attic. Put out some poison 13 years ago, have not seen evidence of one in all that time.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #11

I heard dryer sheets and/or moth balls deter mice. Is there any truth to that?
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
I heard dryer sheets and/or moth balls deter mice. Is there any truth to that?

Can't speak for mothballs but my sister in law said the mice really enjoyed making a cozy bed out of the dryer sheets she used.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #13

Checked the traps today....empty. Hope that means they are gone!
Old 12-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #14

Someone on here mentioned a while back that they had good experience using peppermint oil. I guess you could put some on paper towels or a little in a paper plate or whatever and put it all around. I like the smell of mint, and if it keeps the critters away, that's even better.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:13 PM   #15
Site Team

We use peppermint oil and scented dryer sheets. So far no CRITTER (mice,and insects) issues. We put the peppermint oil (only 100% pure) soaked in cotton in little plastic shot glasses in each of the storage areas right next to the doors along with a dryer sheet. Like I said, no critter issues so far. We also purchased powdered INSECT DUST (See Picture Below). I dump about a 1/4 thick layer on the stabilizers pads, on the electric tongue jack plate and around the tires. When we hook up, I put sprinkle it on and around the water hose and shore power cable (rinse hose and wipe shore cable before storing). Dog is not even interested in the stuff.

BUT DON'T STOP THERE...

The main objective is to keep the critters out!!!

I opted to plug EVERY OPENING on the outside and inside (living area around pipes and wires in floor) with a FOAM SPRAY. I just found a new product by GREAT STUFF that is made to deter rodents, critters/insects from eating their way in. I went to Home Depot and picked up a couple cans and went from one end of the TT to the other, filling in each opening I found and in between the plastic bottom panel and the frame. I went around 2x to make sure I found every opening. If you have a spare tire that is mounted under the TT, there is an opening around the cable (mine was bigger than a 1/2 inch) that raises and lowers the tire. This one is commonly overlooked. There was also 2 (1/2 inch) holes that Jayco had in the front cross frame that had access to the under belly. No idea as to what they were for. Don't forget opening around the wires that go through the frame into the underbelly, plenty of room around the wires for critters to enter. Oh, one important thing to remember... use gloves, long sleeve shirt, safety glasses and old clothes/shoes.. spray can spurt out when cavity is filled... a little messy.

Every few months, I check for any areas that may have been chewed (by mice/rats) so I can take care of them. So far none..

I believe by using all the above products, it is working.. as for which one is the DEFENDER, your guess is as good as mine.

On the good side of the post, I only have a family of 2" lizards that live in the battery box and front tongue jack. They went on vacation with us and returned with us. now that was amazing.

Hope this helps,

Don
Attached Thumbnails
FOAM SPRAY - Great Stup with Pestblock.jpg   INSECT DUST.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
On the good side of the post, I only have a family of 2" lizards that live in the battery box and front tongue jack. They went on vacation with us and returned with us. now that was amazing.
And our storage lot has jack rabbits!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
We use peppermint oil and scented dryer sheets. So far no CRITTER (mice,and insects) issues. We put the peppermint oil (only 100% pure) soaked in cotton in little plastic shot glasses in each of the storage areas right next to the doors along with a dryer sheet.
SORRY,
I forgot to add the peppermint oil pictures to my other post
Don
Attached Thumbnails
CRITTERS - Peppermint oil.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:26 PM   #18

Our campsite is in the wilderness - a wooded mountain with tall grass everywhere. There must be a gazillion mice living in the neighborhood.

Our old TT was a 1964 model and it had a type of fiberboard insulation mounted under the plywood flooring. The mice would crawl in between the 2 layers and nest. But we never saw any chew through the plywood. The gas and plumbing lines that went through the floor were all sealed well. In 27 years we only had mice once. That Fall they climbed on the roof and went down the chimney. This unit had a furnace with a roof vent that was open on the sides. A simple chickenwire cover solved the problem.

I crawled under our new Jayco and can't find an opening anywhere. The lines are sealed so well that I was quite impressed. The continuous black poly sheeting covers everything and the plumbing is sealed as good as the roof vents. I can't see how anything can penetrate to the inside of the trailer.

My personal opinion of Great Stuff is not that great. Its messy and looks like heck after it oozes out of the spot you put it in. Its more suitable for inside use only, like sealing outside electric boxes to prevent heat loss. Any part that is exposed to the outside eventually turns off colored brown and deteriorates badly.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post

My personal opinion of Great Stuff is not that great. Its messy and looks like heck after it oozes out of the spot you put it in. Its more suitable for inside use only, like sealing outside electric boxes to prevent heat loss. Any part that is exposed to the outside eventually turns off colored brown and deteriorates badly.
Simple solution, just wait till it dries and hardens then take a hacksaw blade to it and trim it flush or shape it how you want. I even painted mine black when I touched up my frame and it's not fading or discolouring.
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:17 AM   #20

The year I tried the dryer sheets the mice were thicker than they had ever been in our old trailer. I'm not sure what scent I used but I vowed I wouldn't do that again. They used the sheets to do their "job" on! In our new Jayco I've put the Fresh Cab packets inside the storage compartments and inside the door. So far no mice. I also used it last year in the old trailer and there were a few droppings so I don't think the mice stuck around too long in there.
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote