Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #1

Grand Cherokee & x213?

I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee, 5.7L with tow package, and am looking at a 2015 x213. I'm not concerned about the weight of the trailer with my max of 7200 lbs, but I'm seeing mixed numbers on the tongue weight of the x213 which is making me question the choice. My Jeep has a max tongue rating of 720 lbs and I've seen numbers for the x213 on this site and others that range from the high 400's all the way up to 900 lbs.

My Jeep also has a 4" lift with 34" tires and while I don't believe that affects tow ratings I know it will affect speed and MPG. Just wanted to throw that out in case I'm missing anything.

This is my first trailer so I'm definitely looking to stay within the limits of the Jeep and not risk anything, but still want to be comfortable with the family. Anyone have any insight or advice? Much appreciated!
BlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:34 PM   #2

Typically 15% of the weight of a trailer goes to the tongue thats 1,080 lbs. Not including WDH, battery, propane, stuff and things in your car.

I have a 14 grand caravan pulling about 3500 lbs loaded. And that is enough for me. As your Jeep is older, some of the parts may be weak and you are way over even if you met the new vehicle tow capacity.

Think safety margin, yours is in negative numbers.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #3

Definitely want a good safety margin, and thanks for the tips.

I've seen guidance that a good number to keep on the tongue is 10 - 15% of the trailer weight. GVWR of the x213 is 5500lbs (right now I'm looking at a 2015 (link may or may not work depending on performance of jayco website)), which gives a range of 550 - 825lbs fully loaded, using that math. Am I looking at this wrong? I'm not sure where you came up with 1,080.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:42 PM   #4

Towed 2014 x213 with my 2006 Land Rover LR3 last summer. 4800 miles- OH to Cape Cod MA to Tucson AZ. 3 in lift and 33s. I used a ProPride hitch which while expensive yielded Zero sway all the way up to 75 mph. Usually towed at 63-65 but in TX at 68 to try to decrease speed differential in areas where speed limit was 80! MPG about 9.3 with 4.4ltr V8.

I think you would be ok but I am not sure of the strength of the suspension, brakes, bearings etc. In the Jeep. I know Land Rovers and felt comfortable. I measured ride height with air suspension disabled and set the weight distribution. Then with air suspension live it did fine. Next year air suspension will be removed and replaced with coil overs. I expect it will ride even better.

Tongue weight with propane and battery and some stuff was 550. Stripped naked from the factory tongue weight of 2017 x213 at dealer was 350. No fluids in tanks for either weight.

Food storage and fridge are right by axles. Fresh water tank over axles. Grey then black tanks as you go towered tongue. Stored some heavy stuff like water, soda, canned goods in back under couch and in back settee to balance out bicycles and clothes in the closet.

Worked great for our family of 5, living in it for over 2 months.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Jkstehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:06 AM   #5

I used to had 4x4 grand Cherokee back in 2002 with a 24 foot trailer. All are under limitations. However, when a large truck pass us, the driving went fishing (side to side as vacuum was created by passing truck) which is unsafe. I researched on this and learned that we need long wheelbase to avoid this (front wheels to back wheels length). Cherokee had too short wheelbase. I traded it for a 2500 pick up and no more fishing when passing us. Also my Cherokee MPG while towing was 6!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nswilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:04 PM   #6

I'm pulling a 2007 213 EXP with a 2014 grand cherokee 5.7L V8. This is the older version of the X213 so it is a little different. Has a sideways queen in the rear slide. I OCD about all the numbers and am just barely in on the tongue at 695 lbs. I get 9-10 mpg. Towing feels fine except for when cars pass like nswilliams said. I've read many threads of whether or not a jeep sized suv should pull a trailer this size and it goes both ways. I worry about what I'm sacrificing safety not pulling with a truck like emergency situations that I have no way of knowing how the jeep will handle. Since a truck is not in the cards right now I slow it down to compensate. Seems doable to me but no substitute for long wheel base

I plan to move my battery and spare tire to the back in hopes to remove 100lbs from the tongue but will stay within the 10% tongue weight. I worry about leaving the campground with waste tanks full which definitely puts me over my jeep's tongue weight. Had to do this for 1.5hrs drive on my last trip and it made me nervous but didn't have a alternative other than miss the trip.
pitchlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchlynn View Post
I'm pulling a 2007 213 EXP with a 2014 grand cherokee 5.7L V8. This is the older version of the X213 so it is a little different. Has a sideways queen in the rear slide. I OCD about all the numbers and am just barely in on the tongue at 695 lbs. I get 9-10 mpg. Towing feels fine except for when cars pass like nswilliams said. I've read many threads of whether or not a jeep sized suv should pull a trailer this size and it goes both ways. I worry about what I'm sacrificing safety not pulling with a truck like emergency situations that I have no way of knowing how the jeep will handle. Since a truck is not in the cards right now I slow it down to compensate. Seems doable to me but no substitute for long wheel base

I plan to move my battery and spare tire to the back in hopes to remove 100lbs from the tongue but will stay within the 10% tongue weight. I worry about leaving the campground with waste tanks full which definitely puts me over my jeep's tongue weight. Had to do this for 1.5hrs drive on my last trip and it made me nervous but didn't have a alternative other than miss the trip.
I didn't read all the details in this thread, so I apologize if I missed something. That said, please reconsider moving the battery to remove 100lbs off your tongue weight. Doing that may lead to a serious sway problem! Increasing the tongue weight generally reduces tenancies for trailer sway (which already may be an issue for you) and increases the weight (mass) in the rear of the trailer which makes swaying worse!

Whether or not you have an anti-sway hitch, sway can often be reduced by inflating your trailer and tow vehicle tires to the maximum shown on the tire sidewalls. Due to less sidewall flex, tires run cooler that way and resist sway better.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I didn't read all the details in this thread, so I apologize if I missed something. That said, please reconsider moving the battery to remove 100lbs off your tongue weight. Doing that may lead to a serious sway problem! Increasing the tongue weight generally reduces tenancies for trailer sway (which already may be an issue for you) and increases the weight (mass) in the rear of the trailer which makes swaying worse!

Whether or not you have an anti-sway hitch, sway can often be reduced by inflating your trailer and tow vehicle tires to the maximum shown on the tire sidewalls. Due to less sidewall flex, tires run cooler that way and resist sway better.
Thank you for the advice. It's definitely something I'm not doing willy nilly but you bring a point about adding mass to the rear of the trailer that I hadn't thought about. I was focused on the fact that I am at about 14.5% tongue weight and figured I had some room to shift weight back given the 10-15% rule of thumb. I don't want to hijack this thread so I'm happy to pm you or start a new thread but I would love to learn more about this.

Would it be safe re-balance to 12-13% tongue by moving the battery(s)/weight from the tongue back to just over the axles instead of to the rear of the trailer? This would avoid putting mass way back past the axles and hopefully still be a safe tongue weight. I get that it is not a good idea for people in general to start monkeying with trailer balance but this trailer seems way tongue heavy especially when other newer x213 owners quote around 500lbs tongue weight (if they are weighing it correctly).

To be clear I've never felt sway with my setup. Just that vacuum feeling when being passed. But this never developed into an oscillating sway.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchlynn View Post
Thank you for the advice. It's definitely something I'm not doing willy nilly but you bring a point about adding mass to the rear of the trailer that I hadn't thought about. I was focused on the fact that I am at about 14.5% tongue weight and figured I had some room to shift weight back given the 10-15% rule of thumb. I don't want to hijack this thread so I'm happy to pm you or start a new thread but I would love to learn more about this.

Would it be safe re-balance to 12-13% tongue by moving the battery(s)/weight from the tongue back to just over the axles instead of to the rear of the trailer? This would avoid putting mass way back past the axles and hopefully still be a safe tongue weight. I get that it is not a good idea for people in general to start monkeying with trailer balance but this trailer seems way tongue heavy especially when other newer x213 owners quote around 500lbs tongue weight (if they are weighing it correctly).

To be clear I've never felt sway with my setup. Just that vacuum feeling when being passed. But this never developed into an oscillating sway.
I started a new thread on my question so I don't hijack the OP.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post577124
Old 10-18-2017, 11:11 AM   #10

You can find a lot of information about towing larger trailers with Grand Cherokee on Airstream forum. There are many owners towing larger, heavier trailers with GC. You just need to choose the hitch setup correctly.

If you install ProPride, you would never experience any sway (the hitch eliminates the sway) and also you would not experience any vacuum feeling when being passed. Of course, an alternative is to buy an oversized truck.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nswilliams View Post
I used to had 4x4 grand Cherokee back in 2002 with a 24 foot trailer. All are under limitations. However, when a large truck pass us, the driving went fishing (side to side as vacuum was created by passing truck) which is unsafe. I researched on this and learned that we need long wheelbase to avoid this (front wheels to back wheels length). Cherokee had too short wheelbase. I traded it for a 2500 pick up and no more fishing when passing us. Also my Cherokee MPG while towing was 6!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Curious, did you have a WDH and/or anti-sway?
Old 10-21-2017, 05:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
You can find a lot of information about towing larger trailers with Grand Cherokee on Airstream forum. There are many owners towing larger, heavier trailers with GC. You just need to choose the hitch setup correctly.

If you install ProPride, you would never experience any sway (the hitch eliminates the sway) and also you would not experience any vacuum feeling when being passed. Of course, an alternative is to buy an oversized truck.
Thanks for that, I'll look into the ProPride. As well as the Airstream forum. I think I just need to get a TT that fits the weight restrictions I have and then adjust from there to make sure the tongue weight is good. I may end up with something a bit smaller, but I do like the features of the x213.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #13

Smile grand cherokee and X213

Hey Blackdog,
I have a grand cherokee 2009 with 4.7 V8. I pull a 2017 X213 with no problem. Just in the hills I would like a bit more power but it gets me there.
No sway when trucks passes me. I do have the E2 WDH.
I haven't measured the tongue weight. Will do that soon.
Werner
wvcmgbv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcmgbv8 View Post
Hey Blackdog,
I have a grand cherokee 2009 with 4.7 V8. I pull a 2017 X213 with no problem. Just in the hills I would like a bit more power but it gets me there.
No sway when trucks passes me. I do have the E2 WDH.
I haven't measured the tongue weight. Will do that soon.
Werner
Hills are what I'm thinking of. I'm in Denver and will be heading up the mountain 80% of the time. I don't think power will be the problem with the 5.7, mainly concerned about sway dangers. I'm starting to think that with the right hitch I'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk