Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #1

Gray tank capacity Jay Flight 28BHBE

We just took our new 2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE out this past weekend for the first time. This is our first TT so we are new to hook ups. We had full hookups this weekend. We had the gray tank valve open for the first day, but decided to close it the night before we left. We took 4 showers, brushed teeth for 5 people, and washed breakfast dishes the next morning. The gray tank read full after this. We were shocked to see that the tank would only hold enough for one night! We are concerned that we won't be able to get through a weekend without sewer hookup since we really enjoy camping at state parks where sewer hook ups are frequently unavailable. The gray tank capacity is listed as 32.5 gallons.

How accurate is the gray tank gauge? When it reads "in the red" to show that it's full, how full does that really mean? Should we be able to get through a weekend without dumping?

Thanks for any input you may have!

Adina

2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE
2005 Ford F250 diesel, crew cab, long bed
Family of 5 (kids ages 9, 7, 5)
adinack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #2

Showering is your biggest filler for that grey tank. I have the same size grey tank, and the wife and I just did 6 days at a park and it hit the full mark on the last day. Depending on your showering habits, you very well could be filling your tank up with that much use. A conservative shower will use 3-5 gallons (I estimate) and a normal one maybe 6-7 (2.5GPM and about 2-3 minutes) so doing the math, your grey tank is probably actually full after all that.

Something we do to minimize grey water going into the tank is do the dishes outside in a tub, filling it with hot water from the outdoor shower. That helps a lot. My fresh water capacity is 48 gal and over our 6 day trip I added 25 extra gallons, and our grey tank had a little room to spare since we threw our dish water into the bush.

SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #3

Gray tank is less likely to get gummed up. Especially if it read empty whenit was open.

4 showers is what did it.

You will learn to be very conservative in water use. For example.

When doing dishes. Fill basin a little with soapy water. Repeat to rince. Don't wash or rinse with running water.

When brushing etc turn water off while brushing

When showering take army showers. Ie turn on. Get wet turn off. Soap up. Turn on to rinse. More importantly if the Camp has showers use those.

You prob will never get a full weekend out of the gray tank with 4 users. Especially if there are any showers

Keep in mind. Without hookups you can always dump grey into a bucket and dump at outhouse. But you will clear 4 gallons at a time.

30 gallons is pretty small when you think about it. A bathtub is 40-60
Ecfeick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #4

As mentioned, it's the showers. Good advice above.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecfeick View Post
Gray tank is less likely to get gummed up. Especially if it read empty whenit was open.

4 showers is what did it.

You will learn to be very conservative in water use. For example.

When doing dishes. Fill basin a little with soapy water. Repeat to rince. Don't wash or rinse with running water.

When brushing etc turn water off while brushing

When showering take army showers. Ie turn on. Get wet turn off. Soap up. Turn on to rinse. More importantly if the Camp has showers use those.

You prob will never get a full weekend out of the gray tank with 4 users. Especially if there are any showers

Keep in mind. Without hookups you can always dump grey into a bucket and dump at outhouse. But you will clear 4 gallons at a time.

30 gallons is pretty small when you think about it. A bathtub is 40-60
Army Showers??? First time I heard that term! We called them "submarine" showers because subs are limited in the amount of fresh water they can make a day and need to ration it amongst 100-plus sailors! Of course, the sonarmen always took "Hollywood" showers!!!!
(Retired submariner)
Old 08-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #6

We carry the blue tote for no sewer, but dump station CG. Our tote 25gal and really helps. For reference we are 2 adults and 3 small kids; not really conserving water but taking army showerswe fill our 32gal grey tank in 24-36 hours. If the CG you plan to use have a dump station get a barker tote, it takes considerable pressure off your tank.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
We carry the blue tote for no sewer, but dump station CG. Our tote 25gal and really helps. For reference we are 2 adults and 3 small kids; not really conserving water but taking army showerswe fill our 32gal grey tank in 24-36 hours. If the CG you plan to use have a dump station get a barker tote, it takes considerable pressure off your tank.
We are also 2 adults and 3 young kids. I actually showered with my 4-year-old and did the "army style" shower for the 2 of us. My DH and 2 other kids let the water run and didn't try to conserve. We didn't let the water run when brushing teeth. I can see now that we'll really have to conserve on the showers. And using the outside shower hose to wash dishes is a great idea. Glad to hear that what we experienced is normal and that there's nothing wrong with the TT. Though, really wishing we had a bigger gray tank.

What is a barker tote? Is it something you dump the gray tank into and transport it to the dump station? If so, how does it transport? On wheels?

2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE
Old 08-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #8

Barkers are on wheels. Carry prob 30ish gallons. You can dump into them then hitch to truck or wheel to dump site

IMO for the 130 dollars they are I will use a 5 gallon for gray.

If I need to dump mid trip it's a 30
Min process round trip hitch camper stabs up awning in. Don't mess with wdh to just dump. There are never lines mid weekend either.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #9

Sorry the barkers are 200+. There are brands for mid 100s.

Another issue is where to store the **** thing?
Old 08-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #10

There's no way my DH will hitch up mid-trip to dump. I think we'll have to go back to using the cg shower facilities when we don't have full hookup. That's what we've always done before anyway with our tent & popup.

I just googled barker tote....we had one with our popup (came with it when we bought it used) that we never used. My DH left it with the popup when we traded it. That just stinks! If only I had known how much they cost and that we'd need it for the TT!

Adina

2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE