Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
When I pay to park my camper somewhere, I expect a paved spot, 50 amp service, water, sewer, cable, internet, a picnic table, a swimming pool, and a shower building. A shuttle service to whatever event is going on nearby is also preferred.

I understand that other people got their campers for different reasons and have different expectations.

Here in Texas, one of the nearby state parks has 50 amp service available and the slots are long enough for the longer fifth wheels. Another nearby state park has only 30 amp service, and when I drove through, none of the spots looked long enough for my 38 footer.

Here in British Columbia a serviced Provincial Park means it has a building with flush toilets and a shower. The more basic parks only have outhouses.

I don't think any of them have water, power or sewer at the site and I've never seen a paved site.

Length isn't often a problem as the sites are normally quite large. Private parks tend to be much tighter and you really should make sure they know how big your trailer is when you book a site.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #22

Ha ha... I am definitely the exception around here. We use the camper for sleeping. We almost never have hookups, never camp on blacktop and cook everything outside. Different types of camping for different folks.
lightcs1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #23
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcs1776 View Post
Ha ha... I am definitely the exception around here. We use the camper for sleeping. We almost never have hookups, never camp on blacktop and cook everything outside. Different types of camping for different folks.
I am exactly like you. That is why we love our trailer so much. All we do is sleep in it and it has huge queen beds. We cook,eat and play outside

But I have to have services. I have no interest in ever having a battery bank or a genny plus my trailer can't take any more weight
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #24

I'll throw my thoughts in - it appears you're in Oregon. My very limited experience (one two week period) is that for Oregon State Parks, you HAVE to plan well ahead. I got lucky, and we managed to find a couple of spots with short notice. But many state campgrounds have the majority of their sites on the small side, and the bigger ones are fewer. That means reservations even further ahead, to try and beat all the others with bigger units.
That said, there are a huge number of private campgrounds, especially concentrated around all the popular areas. Yes, they cost more - but the availability of full services and longer sites is far, far better. And many times you can get in with much shorter notice. I did have some nervous times where it seemed like we would have no place to stay, but always found something, so you still have to plan ahead. Just not months and months like you may have to with state parks. Some of our best times in your state this summer were when we stayed at a private campground, but hung out for most of the day in the nearby state park. The best of both worlds!
Old 10-08-2014, 10:36 PM   #25

Never thought about the length. My family is full time in a 33'. Needed to get something big enough for the 5 of us.
mjcromp is offline   Reply With Quote