Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2018, 07:19 PM   #1

Grey Tank Sensor Not Working

So I've had our Jayco Jay Flight SLX 175RD for 3 months now. In 2 weeks we are planning a 2 month journey across Canada.

Last weekend on another test trip, we noticed our sink and shower would not drain. The grey tank monitor said 1/4 full the whole time. We originally thought something might have backed it up.

Thankfully, we just dumped the tank and all the water went away.

I'm thinking the sensor is not working.

Any quick fix for this? This is a warranty issue, but our dealer isn't booking anything before the end of August! Anyway, we leave shortly for 2 months, so a warranty fix is out of the question.

Hoping there's something simple I can do or try without some major job of getting into the grey tank.

Cheers
daboss999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #2

There are several good YouTube videos covering grey water and black water tank sensors. The sensors and connectors are accessible from the outside. In the 25-years that I have owned travel trailers, I have never trusted the displays.
Bill Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #3

Dont use them. The sensors are just for good humor.

As you use your unit you will get a feel for how much you can do before its full.

X showers
X dishes
X days on black

Mine has said 2/3rds for a full year.
Kidd280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #4

yep the sensors are Fake News.. You will learn by trial and error how many days use you can get before the grey water tank is full. We have the bathtub. You can see the water level in the drain just below the tub when it gets full.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #5

My black tank has registered full since our first trip. The sensors say it is always full. The grey tank does kind of work. But, has been mentioned, you will know how often to dump the tank. Ours will run into the tub when it is full.
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmo View Post
My black tank has registered full since our first trip. The sensors say it is always full. The grey tank does kind of work. But, has been mentioned, you will know how often to dump the tank. Ours will run into the tub when it is full.
Yes.. It looks kind of gross. But its easy to clean out

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:08 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Listen to your shower drain.....if it gurgles it is almost full, that's a sound censor.
But if an RV has its own shower grey-tank, if your tub start filling, dry your feet and time to dump.
For the black-tank, look down the hatch.........full is full.
They use the same sensors since the 60's and 70's and are still crap.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Next time you dump, drop a couple of buckets of really hot water down your toilet. Sometimes it will loosen up whatever is causing the false reading on the black tank sensor. I've been able to make mine "work" properly over the years with this method.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #9

When we brought our Skylark home I noticed wires hanging down below the trailer. The tank level sensor wires were dangling down below the frame where any road debris could easily hit them. A few wire ties fixed the problem. Our gray tank sensor works most of the time. The Black tank sensor works only when I make a specific effort to spray water with a 90 degree nozzle down through the toilet. After the first full black tank the level sensor becomes unreliable.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboss999 View Post
So I've had our Jayco Jay Flight SLX 175RD for 3 months now. In 2 weeks we are planning a 2 month journey across Canada.

Last weekend on another test trip, we noticed our sink and shower would not drain. The grey tank monitor said 1/4 full the whole time. We originally thought something might have backed it up.

Thankfully, we just dumped the tank and all the water went away.

I'm thinking the sensor is not working.

Any quick fix for this? This is a warranty issue, but our dealer isn't booking anything before the end of August! Anyway, we leave shortly for 2 months, so a warranty fix is out of the question.

Hoping there's something simple I can do or try without some major job of getting into the grey tank.

Cheers
Take some water softener (about a cup) and pour it down one of the drains that go to your grey tank. Fill the grey tank almost full and let it sit for a while before draining. Sometimes that will clear what ever stuck to the sensor at the 1/4 full mark. This works for black tanks so I don't see why it would not clear the sensor on your grey tank.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote