Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2017, 09:19 AM   #11

I don't know if this helps but this is what I have in order to maximize gray water tank use. I installed this at the end of the sewer pipe then open both gray tank valves. The two tanks equalize, essentially making one large gray tank. This helps cuz the shower tank fills much faster than the kitchen tank. https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...=rv+gate+valve

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaddox View Post
On this trip out something odd seem to happen. We filled our grey tank in two days. I dumped our tank twice with an 18 gal tote. My gauge said 1/3 after that. In about 12 hours it filled back up. I thought just having a teenager and 10 year old was the problem. Until I checked the Jayco site and aw I only had a 30 gal tank. This does not make sense since I dumped a full 18 gal tote twice.

The only way this makes sense is that the soap we use is a foaming soap and maybe the foam is causing false readings. Does this make sense and if so should I do anything specific to clean it?

And I guess I should not use the foaming soap.
Forget the gauges they are worthless. As for 2 18 gal dumps in the tote, you likely didn't fill them all the way and only emptied 30 gallons. Dump it until there is no more flow. Then wait 24 hours with no actual use. Then attach the tote and drain again. If you get any amount of significant volume from the tank there is only 1 explaination -- You have a leak in the fresh water system somewhere. If you are not connected to a fresh water hookup, then it is in your on-board tank/pump system. Not easy to find, but a little trial and error and you should be able to narrow it down. Then w/o a fresh water connection and a drained tank, turn off the pump and wait. After a few hours turn the pump on and listen. If it takes more than a few seconds to pressurize you likely have a leak somewhere past the pump allowing the system to drain off pressure when the pump is off. Try and try again until you isolate it.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #13

I gave up on my waste tank gauges....

The black tank (20 gal) shows empty until the toilet is used twice. Then it shows 2/3 full for the rest of the trip.

The grey tank (50 gal) shows empty until the first load of dishes or shower. Then jumps to 1/3 full and generally stays there for several days. It may make 2/3 full by the end of the trip.

The fresh water (50 gal) is the only one that makes sense. It shows full when we arrive and I open the vents (overflows). Then drops to 2/3 after a few days use. Never hit 1/3 while out in the field. During sanitizing and filling the readings are linear with time from the garden hose.

Since 95% of our fresh water winds up in the grey tank, I can use the fresh water gauge as a pretty good indicator of how much is in the grey tank.

Two adults, up to 5 days, with access to plenty of other toilets don't generate 20 gallons of black water. Only once did we ever fill the 5 gallon black tank in my old trailer...

So, we can't trust the gauges! We just have to get a feel for our water usage and act BEFORE something messy happens.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Forget the gauges they are worthless. As for 2 18 gal dumps in the tote, you likely didn't fill them all the way and only emptied 30 gallons. Dump it until there is no more flow. Then wait 24 hours with no actual use. Then attach the tote and drain again. If you get any amount of significant volume from the tank there is only 1 explaination -- You have a leak in the fresh water system somewhere. If you are not connected to a fresh water hookup, then it is in your on-board tank/pump system. Not easy to find, but a little trial and error and you should be able to narrow it down. Then w/o a fresh water connection and a drained tank, turn off the pump and wait. After a few hours turn the pump on and listen. If it takes more than a few seconds to pressurize you likely have a leak somewhere past the pump allowing the system to drain off pressure when the pump is off. Try and try again until you isolate it.

That might be true about the secon tankful but the portable tank pop up valve popped up and showed full. When I go out again I will check things. It is also possible that my kids forgot how to do water management. That still does not explain the gauges

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote