Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #1

Grill to use with quick connect

So, new 23rb ordered April 10, waiting to find out arrival date. Did not order the bumper grill option, seemed a lot of people weren't fond of it and not worth the extra cost.
That said, anyone have recommendations on a table top grill that can be hooked up to the quick connect on the trailer? We have an awesome stainless table that we bring camping that will hold a table top set up, so just looking for the right grill to hook up to the quick connect.

Square Dance Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #2

We have a Weber "Q" series BBQ. Had it for almost 10 years and love it. Haven't bothered figuring out how to connect to the quick connect on our new 321 yet though.
Grill is nice size, easy to clean and the side shelves fold nicely into the grill when closed up. They're rather spend your but really nice.
Enjoy your new camper!
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:50 PM   #3

Grill to use with quick connect

I have a Weber Q1000. Got it a month or so after I got the trailer. Used the 1lb bottles with it for a season. This season, I purchased a quick connect hose and the fittings to convert the Q1000 to the quick connect. I purchased the hose and separate male Quick Connect barb on Amazon. I purchased a 1/4 to 1/8 brass connector and female to female brass connector from Lowes. Used it a few times this year and it's great. Really nice not to have to pack the 1lb bottles and cool to use the already onboard LP for cooking outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2016, 08:02 PM   #4

I run a camp chef two burner stove off my quick connect. Had to do a few mods because the factory quick connect didn't match up with the aftermarket hose I had. It was pretty simple to buy a hose and coupler to replace the factory one and hook up any gas cooker from there. I have a post about how I did it for reference. Good luck!
Old 06-05-2016, 08:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman1088 View Post
I have a Weber Q1000. Got it a month or so after I got the trailer. Used the 1lb bottles with it for a season. This season, I purchased a quick connect hose and the fittings to convert the Q1000 to the quick connect. I purchased the hose and separate male Quick Connect barb on Amazon. I purchased a 1/4 to 1/8 brass connector and female to female brass connector from Lowes. Used it a few times this year and it's great. Really nice not to have to pack the 1lb bottles and cool to use the already onboard LP for cooking outside.

Guess I need to get the hose and fittings to replace the 1lb bottles. They're a bit of a pain to pack and haul around. Did the fittings from Lowes replace the Weber regulator?
Thanks

2016 Eagle 321RSTS. MorRyde pin box. 12cu ft refer. Slide toppers and second awning.

2014 Silverado Duramax. Crew cab short box. Reese Titan 16K slider. Air bags.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Grandpa View Post
Guess I need to get the hose and fittings to replace the 1lb bottles. They're a bit of a pain to pack and haul around. Did the fittings from Lowes replace the Weber regulator?

Thanks

The Weber has a 1/8 male NPT nipple that shows once their regulator is removed. I connected the 1/8 to 1/4 brass connector, leaving me with a male 1/4 brass NPT nipple. Then added the 1/4 female/female fitting, then the male quick connect. I did this to get the adapter out from the controls a little. The LP that comes out of the trailer connector is regulated by the trailer LP Regulator and seems to burn my food as good as before [emoji12].

When you are testing your connection, remember the Weber Q naturally had very low (short) visible flame coming from its burner bar.

I would post a picture, but my grill is in my trailer at the dealers for service.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman1088 View Post
The Weber has a 1/8 male NPT nipple that shows once their regulator is removed. I connected the 1/8 to 1/4 brass connector, leaving me with a male 1/4 brass NPT nipple. Then added the 1/4 female/female fitting, then the male quick connect. I did this to get the adapter out from the controls a little. The LP that comes out of the trailer connector is regulated by the trailer LP Regulator and seems to burn my food as good as before [emoji12].

When you are testing your connection, remember the Weber Q naturally had very low (short) visible flame coming from its burner bar.

I would post a picture, but my grill is in my trailer at the dealers for service.

Thanks for the breakdown. I'll go buy the parts and get it done. Gotta take it apart and scare out the spider that built a web in there any way.

2016 Eagle 321RSTS. MorRyde pin box. 12cu ft refer. Slide toppers and second awning.

2014 Silverado Duramax. Crew cab short box. Reese Titan 16K slider. Air bags.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:48 PM   #8

The parts from Amazon are:

Camco LP Hose

and

Male Quick Connect Adapter

These items were plug and play with the hoses/connection that came stock on my 2016 28BHBE. Don't forget the gas line pipe tape!
Old 06-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #9

I liked the mod to our Weber Q1000 so much, I went and did the same thing to a portable propane fire pit, and added a longer hose. It works great.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:14 AM   #10

I modified my Coleman Roadtrip grill and a smaller Coleman tabletop grill (no longer made) to both run from the low pressure connection. Bought the fittings to make a valved wye, as well, so that I can use both simultainiosly.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:26 AM   #11

I've done the Coleman LXE mod for the quick connect.
But from everything I've read, the Weber is the much preferred grill for RVers. So if you haven't already purchased a grill, definitely look into the Weber.

We actually like our Coleman and don't seem to have the problems that some others associate with it (too hot, not easy to clean, can't put the lid down). We don't seem to have those problems and we like that it can be used as a grill, a griddle (for breakfast pancakes, eggs, etc) and a stove top (for brewing coffee, pot of beans, etc).

Here's the video for how to convert the LXE for low pressure quick connect:
Or if you want to buy it all pre-made, you can get it from here, although you can do it yourself for less than the $50 bucks that this place charges: http://propanegear.com/coleman-roadt...onversion-kit/
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:41 AM   #12

So, the hubby isn't handy at all. I usually am, I am an engineer, but the chemical type, don't usually play with gas lines or electricity.
Anyone know of a grill that will work without modification? If not, I can get my handy baby brother to help with the mod.

Square Dance Camper is offline   Reply With Quote