Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2016, 11:20 PM   #1

GVWR , GCWR - confused

I'm really trying to understand the weights and numbers for my TV and TT to make sure I have my WD hitch properly set and that my weights are within specs for my TV. The front of my truck felt "light" so I adjusted the WD brackets up one bolt level on the TT A frame. Better ride but still want to be sure. I am looking for a set of local truck scales to do a complete weight analysis but until then...Below are some of my specs:

TV - 2014 F150 Platinum SuperCrew. 3.6L Ecoboost, 365HP / GVWR 7,200lb, Curb Weight 5,687lb, max trailer weight 9,200lb, Max payload 1,900lb. (per Ford spec sheet). Truck pulls the trailer fine. No sense of strain or struggle but still feel front is just a bit light.

TT - 265RLSW, 6,118lb with 2 propane bottles per sticker, tongue weight is 800lb per scale I purchased.

E2 10,000 WD hitch

My concern - the chart on the sticker on the door of my truck says "total combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1,091 lbs. This is part of the tire chart just below the vehicle spec chart. That's almost half of what the Ford vehicle rating chart says. With a tongue weight of 800lb I would be over the lower number once I filled up and got in the truck to drive it. Any insights on what numbers I should use or trust here? If the max payload for this truck is only 1,091lbs then I have a problem.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:43 PM   #2

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...31/#post-35018

not sure if this will help or not, you will have to change the numbers obviously but it should get you the idea at least.. post 4 is where id start the read and yes i know its a toyota forum and you have a ford its for reference is all...
anothermbdusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:43 AM   #3

You may have a problem. If the 1091# came directly off the yellow placard on the door of your truck, then you have a problem. That number seems particularly low though. Do you have the Max Tow package? What rear end gear do you have?

For a 1/2 ton truck, the max weight it can tow is usually a pie in the sky number. Almost all, including my 1/2 which has the HD pkg (2286# on the yellow placard) will run out of cargo capacity, the number on the placard, long before it runs out of the capacity to actually pull a trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
I'm really trying to understand the weights and numbers for my TV and TT to make sure I have my WD hitch properly set and that my weights are within specs for my TV. The front of my truck felt "light" so I adjusted the WD brackets up one bolt level on the TT A frame. Better ride but still want to be sure. I am looking for a set of local truck scales to do a complete weight analysis but until then...Below are some of my specs:

TV - 2014 F150 Platinum SuperCrew. 3.6L Ecoboost, 365HP / GVWR 7,200lb, Curb Weight 5,687lb, max trailer weight 9,200lb, Max payload 1,900lb. (per Ford spec sheet). Truck pulls the trailer fine. No sense of strain or struggle but still feel front is just a bit light.

TT - 265RLSW, 6,118lb with 2 propane bottles per sticker, tongue weight is 800lb per scale I purchased.

E2 10,000 WD hitch

My concern - the chart on the sticker on the door of my truck says "total combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1,091 lbs. This is part of the tire chart just below the vehicle spec chart. That's almost half of what the Ford vehicle rating chart says. With a tongue weight of 800lb I would be over the lower number once I filled up and got in the truck to drive it. Any insights on what numbers I should use or trust here? If the max payload for this truck is only 1,091lbs then I have a problem.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:44 AM   #4

Suz,

If the yellow sticker in YOUR TRUCK'S door jamb is 1091lbs, you probably do have issues unfortunately.

Truck:

GVWR: The max the truck with all passenger, cargo (cooler, bikes, firewood, etc), any accessories added (truck topper/ tonneau cover, step bars, etc), and when towing these weights add weight to the truck also: the wdh (weight distribution hitch), AND the GVWR includes the tt tw (travel trailer tongue weight) because that is weight that the truck also carries, most of it anyway, as the wdh does transfer a little to the tt axles. But without weighing the truck and tt you don't know exactly what is transferred. Also, the hitch tw rating is based the actual tw, just as you found out yours is 800lbs per the scale (if that's the loaded tw).

The best thing to do is to go weigh your truck and trailer the next time you take a trip. Load just as you have up to this point, that way you get true numbers for your normal loading. Follow my signature links for the CAT Scale how to to understand how you should weigh your truck and trailer a total of three times. This will give you all the weights you need it you follow it, and you can decipher if you are over or under the trucks ratings, and by how much.

The "spec sheet" is usually a base truck model, with zero options, that is rated for the highest amount. As you upgrade to the extended and crew cabs, and get the longer beds, and add the leather and navigation system, etc your payload is reduced unless you order the heavy duty payload (if available) option.

GCWR: The max the truck and trailer should weigh as rated per the truck manufacture.

The trailer also has it's own GVWR per the trailer manufacture, that if you weighed the just the trailer, including the tongue weight, is the max it should weigh.

Power wise a 1500/150 truck will not have any issues if optioned with the right motor and axle gearing. The issue with almost all the 1500/150 trucks comes down to payload when trying to tow a tt (rolling brick"!!!), with a family, and a bed full of coolers and firewood.

Question regarding your tw if &00lbs per the scale: Was the trailer loaded for a trip yet, or was that when you first bought the trailer??? If it is the loaded weight, and you trailer's yellow sticker is 6118lbs, your tw may be on the low side. It does vary from trailer to trailer, but the general tw range for a tt is 12-15%. If your tt weighs 7000lbs loaded, with a loaded tw scaled at 800lbs, you are only at about 11.4%. Just be careful to not load to much behind the tt axles one trip because even with a wdh with sway control, sway could still happen.

Go weigh your truck and trailer loaded for a trip, with all the normal passengers, and report back. We will help decipher the numbers.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:14 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Will read through them and see if I can determine next steps here. Couple of quick answers. The 800lb tongue weight was essentially empty. A few light things on board but no water and nothing in holding tanks. I bought the truck used and cannot find anything that confirms if I have the max tow package or not. I have the tow option on the transmission, tow brake controller built into dash and tow adjustments built into the instruments but - nothing on a sticker that says it has "the package". Following the Ford spec chart for my truck, the 3.31 transmission has either a payload capacity of ~1600+lb or ~1900+lb, depending on the max tow package installed or not. Either way, still much higher than the sticker. Net - based on all the Ford specs I assumed my truck was within range for the trailer until I saw the sticker, which seems very low for a truck this size.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:35 AM   #6

Suz,

Even if you can't get the truck and trailer to the CAT Scale soon, you and the family ran across the scale with the truck only it will give you a more accurate idea of where you stand.

Sounds like your tw could be higher than 800lbs, possibly even more if the trucks payload.

Stop by a Ford dealer and see if they will print off your trucks info based on the vin number.

Hang in there!!! We help you get this figured out!!!

Old 07-19-2016, 07:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Will read through them and see if I can determine next steps here. Couple of quick answers. The 800lb tongue weight was essentially empty. A few light things on board but no water and nothing in holding tanks. I bought the truck used and cannot find anything that confirms if I have the max tow package or not. I have the tow option on the transmission, tow brake controller built into dash and tow adjustments built into the instruments but - nothing on a sticker that says it has "the package". Following the Ford spec chart for my truck, the 3.31 transmission has either a payload capacity of ~1600+lb or ~1900+lb, depending on the max tow package installed or not. Either way, still much higher than the sticker. Net - based on all the Ford specs I assumed my truck was within range for the trailer until I saw the sticker, which seems very low for a truck this size.
The yellow sticker in the driver's door will show the specs for the truck you're driving. Ford will advertise payload capacity, without subtracting from it for certain options in the truck (a Platinum edition may have a few more bells & whistles that take from the payload).

As an example, here is mine. I have the "Max Tow" package, which other than 3.73 rear axle, also has increased payload. It's a SuperCrew EcoBoost as well. It shows that my truck (as-equipped) has 1802 lbs of payload (under Tire & Loading Information), which includes passengers and anything else, such as hitch weight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2a78a23ab906f84f0ad58b2168efdf8c.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	25659

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:37 AM   #8

Thanks for posting your sticker. I've attached mine which is very different re max payload. With a 36 gallon tank I could exceed the number on my sticker with just 2 good sized people and a full tank of gas. Something must be missing or wrong here. The difference in the weights above and the curb weight give me a much higher number. Sounds like a trip to the dealership might help. Ford charges for a copy of the vin factory specs.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 07-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for posting your sticker. I've attached mine which is very different re max payload. With a 36 gallon tank I could exceed the number on my sticker with just 2 good sized people and a full tank of gas. Something must be missing or wrong here. The difference in the weights above and the curb weight give me a much higher number. Sounds like a trip to the dealership might help. Ford charges for a copy of the vin factory specs.
You might be able to decipher more about your truck without going to the dealer using the downloadable towing guide from Ford for the 2014 F150.

Here is the link --> https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/...F150_Sep11.pdf

Looking at your sticker I see the axle code listed as L3. The above towing guide lists that as a 3.31 with electronic locking. As dmward mentioned higher trim levels such as Platinum will have more options from the factory that reduce payload.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Pretty sure the 1091# number assumes a 150# driver and a full tank of gas.

You can check it easily enough. Fill the tank and take the truck to a scale.

Your max payload = 7200# GVWR - (scale wt)
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post

x2 ... Page 4 of the Ford spec sheet shows standard payload to be 1,900# with max tow package; 1,520# without the package; 1,300# for Limited package (more options minus the tow package = less payload).

2014_F150_Specs

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:57 AM   #12
BCK

x2 on dmward's comment. The max-tow package comes with the 3.73 rear end.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post

From what I understand, the 150# driver weight is NOT included in the yellow payload sticker. If you read how it is worded, it states "ALL OCCUPANTS and cargo...". The driver is an occupant of the vehicle. Could be wrong though.

Concerning a full tank of fuel, I have not been able to confirm or deny this.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
From what I understand, the 150# driver weight is NOT included in the yellow payload sticker. If you read how it is worded, it states "ALL OCCUPANTS and cargo...". The driver is an occupant of the vehicle. Could be wrong though.

I believe it is correct that 150# driver is not included on the yellow door sticker, nor is additional fuel over the standard tank size. When I initially weighed my RAM with just full fuel the payload listed on the door matched when I subtracted myself plus additional gallons of fuel over the standard size tank from the scale weight.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post

I would think that if you're considering whether the weight of fuel will affect towing, then you are probably too close to your limit [emoji3]

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #16

I ran into this with a brand new Ram 2500 with the Cummins. Their own website showed the payload as only concerning "cargo and contents in the bed of the truck, plus the weight of any trailer tongue weight". Unfortunately, it didn't mention that it included the weight of the six occupants as well. That info was posted in their tech specs on a different site. The dealer didn't advise me either, even though he knew what I was intending to tow, a North Point fifth wheel that would have been pushing the limits on its own. Ultimately, I had to trade in a one month old truck for a 3500 with more payload capacity.

Everybody, myself included, thought the 2500 would have towed without issue, however, the decision came down to if our insurance would pay if there was an accident, as we would have been technically overloaded. That was a risk we simply weren't willing to assume.
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:17 AM   #17

Thanks for all the replies. This discussion has been very helpful. Interesting, and confusing, depending on where you look you can get a variety of payload capacities and towing capacities. I've looked at the official Ford towing guide and another more detailed spec sheet they publish, and the door sticker. Different numbers. I wish I could verify if I have the max tow package, it does make a difference. I had read somewhere that if I have the integrated trailer brake controller, tow option in the transmission and the 7 pin connector that I have the max towing package. Not sure. I just find it very hard to believe that the max payload capacity for a truck like mine could be only 1,091lbs. Nowhere in any of the towing guides or Ford spec sheets for my truck do I find a number this low. Just the difference between the curb weight of the truck and the GVWR on the sticker on the door shows a 1,500lb difference. I will investigate a bit more and see if I can get some insight from Ford dealer on what I really have.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:17 AM   #18

Also, it wasn't the towing capacity that got us, it was the payload. We were under tow capacity by a few thousand pounds, but over on payload by the weight of however many passengers we were willing to load up. Simply wasn't worth the risk, and it hurt like crazy to pay the dealer close to $7k to upgrade/trade-up, but we're within all specs now.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. This discussion has been very helpful. Interesting, and confusing, depending on where you look you can get a variety of payload capacities and towing capacities. I've looked at the official Ford towing guide and another more detailed spec sheet they publish, and the door sticker. Different numbers. I wish I could verify if I have the max tow package, it does make a difference. I had read somewhere that if I have the integrated trailer brake controller, tow option in the transmission and the 7 pin connector that I have the max towing package. Not sure. I just find it very hard to believe that the max payload capacity for a truck like mine could be only 1,091lbs. Nowhere in any of the towing guides or Ford spec sheets for my truck do I find a number this low. Just the difference between the curb weight of the truck and the GVWR on the sticker on the door shows a 1,500lb difference. I will investigate a bit more and see if I can get some insight from Ford dealer on what I really have.
There should be a way to enter Ford's VIN number and pull up a window sticker or an option sheet. Dodge has that, but maybe it's unique?

For reference to your numbers, my Ram 2500 with a Cummins Turbo Diesel only had 2400 pounds of available payload. Moving up to the 3500 Dually raised me up to over 5000 pounds. But I'm towing a big fifth wheel, and while the truck is a beast, we feel much safer falling within specs, and have no reason to believe our insurance wouldn't cover us should something happen, Heaven forbid!
Old 07-19-2016, 12:14 PM   #20

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you do not have the tow package, since you have 3.31 gears. But the tow package is not what changes payload capacity. Your available payload is 7,200# (GVWR) less what it weighs on a scale. Ford did offer a heavy duty payload package, but you definitely don't have that, since it comes with 17" wheels and 3.73 gears.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote