Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-01-2019, 10:21 AM   #1

Hard start capacitor jayco 28bhbe

Looking in getting a champion 3400watt generator inverter so we can use it with our 30amp jayco. I also want to install a hard start capacitor and unfortunately I don't have the camper with me so I don't know the make/model of the AC unit. I know the thermostat was a Colman before I replaced it.

Can anybody let me know what hard start capacitor they used for their jayco? The instructions look pretty simple to install, where it only requires two leads to be connected.

Thanks
ibra0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:13 PM   #2

Hard start capacitors are usually sized by horsepower of compressor. At least in hvac field they are. I used to use these when I did service now I do hvac hvac controls systems. A Supco part number that might work could be a spp5. Like I said it's been awhile but that might get you in the right direction.
15BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:10 PM   #3

Best way to go is with the Micro-Air soft start! A lot of folks on this forum have it and like it. (Including me)
Do a search for Micro-Air and you will find plenty to read.
Use AIRSTREAM IN THE COUPON CODE AND GET $40.00 off.

https://www.microair.net/collections...-soft-starters

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibra0078 View Post
Looking in getting a champion 3400watt generator inverter so we can use it with our 30amp jayco. I also want to install a hard start capacitor and unfortunately I don't have the camper with me so I don't know the make/model of the AC unit. I know the thermostat was a Colman before I replaced it.

Can anybody let me know what hard start capacitor they used for their jayco? The instructions look pretty simple to install, where it only requires two leads to be connected.

Thanks

What year 28bhbe?
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr View Post
what year 28bhbe?
Old 01-02-2019, 08:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Best way to go is with the Micro-Air soft start! A lot of folks on this forum have it and like it. (Including me)

This! World of difference between the two and simple to install
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:52 AM   #7

Micro-Air soft start looks cool but its almost 10x more then the hard start capacitor. Had people had any luck with the hard start capacitor?
Old 01-02-2019, 09:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Micro-Air soft start looks cool but its almost 10x more then the hard start capacitor. Had people had any luck with the hard start capacitor?
Yes. I installed a Supco Hard Start capacitor and it gave enough boost so I could start and run my 13.5K A/C with a Yamaha 2400ISHC generator. As mentioned earlier get the HP for the A/C motor and Supco has a recommended capacitor for that size motor.

That said the capacitor helps in starting the A/C. You still won't be able to run the A/C and the microwave or other high power appliance together. This wasn't an issue for us since if we needed to use the microwave, coffee maker, etc. we shut off the A/C for the few minutes while we were using the other appliance and then turned the A/C back on.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:51 AM   #9

I put a Supco in mine as well. I installed the SPP6 on a 15K Coleman Mach AC unit on our 2014 28BHBE.

I did it so my generator would have a little easier time starting the AC. I had enough genny to do it either way, but I thought for the price, it was worth it to make things a little easier.

If you can afford it, and you use generators a lot, I would say the Micro Air is the way to go. You can get away with a smaller (quieter) generator. But we used the generator so infrequently, that was not worth it for me.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:41 PM   #10

Might pay a considerable more for generator,we have a 3500 Champion. Then found out about soft start cap.Could have kept my 2000. Thanks
brettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #11

Quote:
You most-likely have a Coleman Mach AC unit (13,5k or 15k btu). Something to consider, you may not need a capacitor with that generator. I have a Predator 3500 and it stars & runs everything (except microwave on AC start up) and 1 of the 2 Coleman Mach 15k AC units in my 28bhbe.

I am not certain if the capacitors help with just starting the AC unit or help with running it continuously also? If the former, then the capacitors will not matter because you still won't be able to run the AC and microwave simultaneously without upgrading to a larger generator. Make sense?

hth.

shrp
Old 01-02-2019, 04:45 PM   #12

Ok, Question for those with the hard start Suppco Capacitor.
Can you start the A/C with the generator running in economy mode? That is just putting along really conserving gas? Or does the generator need to be running along at high speed because of the instantaneous current draw when the compressor starts?

With the Micro-Air, I can start my A/C with my 2000 Watt Yamaha running in Economy mode.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 01-02-2019, 06:15 PM   #13

Quote:
You most-likely have a Coleman Mach AC unit (13,5k or 15k btu). Something to consider, you may not need a capacitor with that generator. I have a Predator 3500 and it stars & runs everything (except microwave on AC start up) and 1 of the 2 Coleman Mach 15k AC units in my 28bhbe.

I am not certain if the capacitors help with just starting the AC unit or help with running it continuously also? If the former, then the capacitors will not matter because you still won't be able to run the AC and microwave simultaneously without upgrading to a larger generator. Make sense?

hth.

shrp
It does thanks, it was more running the the generator in eco mode. I don't power won't be an issue with a 3400watt system, figured getting a hard start capacitor will just ease it from drawing so much power at first. How do you like the predator? Was thinking of getting one but only issue is getting it service in Canada is impossible so figured I will go with a champion or Honda.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:41 PM   #14

Quote:

Looks like its only $25 off now
ShortCircuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:46 PM   #15

Quote:
It does thanks, it was more running the the generator in eco mode. I don't power won't be an issue with a 3400watt system, figured getting a hard start capacitor will just ease it from drawing so much power at first. How do you like the predator? Was thinking of getting one but only issue is getting it service in Canada is impossible so figured I will go with a champion or Honda.

I’m very impressed with it thus far. My AC will start up in eco mode in it just fine. On several occasions I’ve fired it up on Friday afternoon and not cut it off until Sunday evening. All I have to do it keep gas in it.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #16

Quote:

hth.

shrp

What a hard start kit is made for is to provide more starting torque to the compressor by use of a start capacitor. Then when unit starts it is taken out of circuit by the potential relay and the factory run capacitor helps keep compressor running efficiently by providing elevated running torque. That is why run capacitors are in a metal case and filled with oil so they stay cool. Start capacitors are usually in a plastic case of some kind with no oil. They are only in circuit for a brief period of time. What a hard start kit does is turns a PSC (permanent split capacitor) type motor into a CSCR (capacitor start capacitor run) type motor. I have not dove into the soft start kit to see what all it does. By the name it almost sounds like a mini VFD (variable frequency drive) where it slowly ramps the motor up to speed and once its there its taken out of circuit and runs unit as normal. Then when it shuts down it starts all over. They use soft starts in commercial hvac world. They are a cheaper alternative to a VFD if all the customer wants is to ease the start of a large pump or blower motor to get rid of shock to belts or couplers. VFDs provide the same effect but they are in circuit all the time and run the motor efficiently the entire time motor is energized. Sorry went on a tangent there. Hope I cleared up the waters for ya. There is a lot more to the soft start. Hence the price. Which for 300bucks doesn't seem that bad if it is indeed a true soft start device.
15BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortCircuit View Post
Looks like its only $25 off now
Thank you, I didn't know that.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Old 01-03-2019, 10:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Ok, Question for those with the hard start Suppco Capacitor.
Can you start the A/C with the generator running in economy mode? That is just putting along really conserving gas? Or does the generator need to be running along at high speed because of the instantaneous current draw when the compressor starts?

With the Micro-Air, I can start my A/C with my 2000 Watt Yamaha running in Economy mode.
I have had both, I’ve used hard start capacitors with 2 different 13,500 btu A/C units and my Yamaha 2400 (this model doesn’t let you turn off economy mode) The yamaha could not even start them with out the capacitor. If it was hot out there were several times that when the A/C cycled the generator would go into overload requiring the generator to be restarted.

On my current TT I have 2 15,000 btu Mach Airs (new in may 2018) the yamaha could not start either A/C - I installed 2 Micro-Air units and the yamaha can run them both simultaneously but nothing else. I purchased an igen 4500 to provide a little surplus capacity, before installing the micro-airs the igen could start 1 of the Mach 15’s and my EMS-50 would chatter (not good long term for its relay) and if I tried the second the ems would chatter so much that not enough starting power would get to the second A/C unit.

After both micro-air’s were installed my EMS-50 no longer chatters when starting either A/C and both run great including cycling and a little extra capacity for other items.
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:56 AM   #19
dee

I have a champion duel fuel inverter 3400. On my 28bhbe, it will start my 15K and 13.5K a/c's, not at the same time of course.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
I have a champion duel fuel inverter 3400. On my 28bhbe, it will start my 15K and 13.5K a/c's, not at the same time of course.
Will it start the A/C with the generator running in economy mode?

2012 Ford Expedition EL