Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2016, 09:14 PM   #1

Hard Start Capacitors for AC

I just brought a Supco SPP6 to hopefully make starting my 15K BTU Air Conditioner with my 2 Yamaha EF2000iS running in parallel. When travelling, we spend nights in wallymart parking lots and it is nice to have the AC going when it is hot outside.
Trailer is a 2016 28BHBE

Question is, Will this help a lot or just a little? Also, will it also keep from drawing as much current when hooked up to the Electrical Pedestal at campgrounds?

What are your experiences with these hard start capacitors? Are they worth having?

Thank you

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:22 PM   #2

The hard start capacitor is simply to aid the AC on startup. It won't reduce the running the current. The AC will start quicker. High start current draw will be of shorter duration. It wil help out especially if the campground voltage is low.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:15 AM   #3

I'm a HVAC tech, so I deal with these all the time. I usually use these if you have a compressor doesn't start running on initial startup (the compressor just buzzes and pulls locked rotor amps). If there is any saving it the hard start capacitor increases the compressors torque 500%. If the compressor starts running your ok, if not its done. They also help if the compressor short cycles which means the AC unit reaches setpoint and turns off then starts up again before the refrigerant pressures equalize.

If the head pressure is still high after reaching setpoint the compressor can have trouble starting against the high head pressure and pull locked rotor. The hard start capacitors increased torque helps get it running again.

For a normally running compressor I can see it working well on shore power starting a little quicker, but I don't think a generator can respond quickly enough if there is an issue with the compressor.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
2016 Jayco Jay Flight Elite 27BHS
Sunflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:54 AM   #4

Has anyone added a capacitor to a residential fridge in their RV? I have on in my houseboat [RV on water] and it pulls a brief light dimming amp load when the compressor cycles on. I have been told that the draw from the 110 fridge compressor is significant but like an AC unit its amp draw is fairly low once it running.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I just brought a Supco SPP6 to hopefully make starting my 15K BTU Air Conditioner with my 2 Yamaha EF2000iS running in parallel. When travelling, we spend nights in wallymart parking lots and it is nice to have the AC going when it is hot outside.
Trailer is a 2016 28BHBE

Question is, Will this help a lot or just a little? Also, will it also keep from drawing as much current when hooked up to the Electrical Pedestal at campgrounds?

What are your experiences with these hard start capacitors? Are they worth having?

Thank you
I'm surprised you need a hard start cap with those generators. Seems to me they should be able to handle the start load as is. My Honda 3000 starts and runs my 15K just fine with no modifications and you have 33% more generator capacity.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
I'm surprised you need a hard start cap with those generators. Seems to me they should be able to handle the start load as is. My Honda 3000 starts and runs my 15K just fine with no modifications and you have 33% more generator capacity.
Agree, I have no problems running my 1500 AC on my 2014 whitehawk with my 2000's running in parallel.

My question about the fridge on my houseboat relates to running a small portable AC AND my 10cf residential fridge with just one H 2000. The single 2000 will easily run the small AC but the genny will not handle the AC and the start up load when the fridge cycles on.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:03 AM   #7

I think it's a good idea to have a hard start capacitor on the AC, regardless of the output of the generator. We mostly camp where we have hookups, so this isn't really a consideration for us. However, I've found that in borderline voltage situations, the AC seems to start much better with a hard start capacitor installed.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:18 AM   #8

I have the two Yamaha EF2000iS as stated by the OP and they run my 15K BTU AC just fine in the normal run mode. However I overnighted in a Walmart once and the generators in the "eco mode" was not able to start up the AC. I had to run them in the normal full load mode.

I was thinking about installing a hard start capacitor to see if this would allow the Yamaha EF2000iS (parallel) in the "eco mode" to allow the AC to run.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:13 AM   #9

I am surprised that most modern day RV AC's don't come with hard start capacitors from the factory since using a generator occasionally is fairly common in the RV world.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflake View Post
I'm a HVAC tech, so I deal with these all the time. I usually use these if you have a compressor doesn't start running on initial startup (the compressor just buzzes and pulls locked rotor amps). If there is any saving it the hard start capacitor increases the compressors torque 500%. If the compressor starts running your ok, if not its done. They also help if the compressor short cycles which means the AC unit reaches setpoint and turns off then starts up again before the refrigerant pressures equalize.

If the head pressure is still high after reaching setpoint the compressor can have trouble starting against the high head pressure and pull locked rotor. The hard start capacitors increased torque helps get it running again.

For a normally running compressor I can see it working well on shore power starting a little quicker, but I don't think a generator can respond quickly enough if there is an issue with the compressor.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
It's a new trailer and I do not have any issues, I just want to make the AC starting up easier on the generator.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #11

Quote:
I really don't have any issues. I just thought the hard start capacitor would make it a little easier on the generators.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer03 View Post
I have the two Yamaha EF2000iS as stated by the OP and they run my 15K BTU AC just fine in the normal run mode. However I overnighted in a Walmart once and the generators in the "eco mode" was not able to start up the AC. I had to run them in the normal full load mode.

I was thinking about installing a hard start capacitor to see if this would allow the Yamaha EF2000iS (parallel) in the "eco mode" to allow the AC to run.
Excatly what I am hoping. Gas last a lot longer if you can run them in eco mode.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Excatly what I am hoping. Gas last a lot longer if you can run them in eco mode.
I would think that eco mode would only come into play when the air conditioner shuts off. When the air conditioner is actually running there would be no difference regardless of mode setting.

In most of the places we camp in the south, once you turn on the a/c it never goes off until you depart.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:59 PM   #14

Quote:
I would think that eco mode would only come into play when the air conditioner shuts off. When the air conditioner is actually running there would be no difference regardless of mode setting.

In most of the places we camp in the south, once you turn on the a/c it never goes off until you depart.

Ain't that the truth!
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:00 PM   #15

Soft-Start

These are microprocessor controlled aftermarket kits that allow small generator starting capabilities for A/C compressors. On another RV forum that I frequent, there have been reports of successfully starting and running 13.5K A/C's with a 2400W Inverter Genset running in eco mode. I do not have either of these installed on my 5er.

Micro-Air Easy Start: Micro-Air - Products

Gen-Pro Sure Start: Sure Start Soft Start

'13 Jayco Premier 351RLTS

'17 F350 King Ranch Ultimate FX4 6.7L TD SRW LB BackFlip F1
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #16

Hoenwald48,
If the AC is running and you switch from full load into eco mode it will keep running at full load. Once the AC shuts off and then generator runs in the "eco mode" the generator doesn't have enough time to get back up to full load once the AC begins to start and draw the power.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaupp View Post
Micro-Air Easy Start: Micro-Air - Products

Gen-Pro Sure Start: Sure Start Soft Start
These sound like they are mini frequency drives. Is that correct?

Old 07-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #18

Thanks for the explanation! That makes sense. Very cool product.