Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #1

Hard Valance Modifications

I have 2015 27DSRL with the 2 rear rocker recliners. It issue I have is the back of the recliner constantly gets hooked under the rigid rear window side valances to the point they have started to damage the top-back of the chairs. While I pull them forward, space is limited as the entry door is right there.

I have been looking at other campers and their lower blind string tensioners are often mounted to the wall and not the the side of the rigid valance. I am considering moving my blind cord mounts to the wall and then shortening the valances to the point they will allow the chair backs to clear them.

Has anyone else done this?

In general, I dislike the hard side valances. The bedroom side cabinets cannot open too far as then hit these things. The small mini-blind by the sink is also wedged in so tightly in the valance that the twist rod hits to blinds and the top blind blade hangs up so they do not fully close.

Anyone else modified their valances?

2015 27DSRL White Hawk
2015 F250 SuperDuty Crew Cab
ScottB1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:15 AM   #2

Could you remove the sides. Most the new rv's just have top valances with no sides.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:42 AM   #3

I may try...

2015 27DSRL White Hawk
Old 07-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
Site Team

I agree with removing the sides. I know several who have and were happy with the minimal effort. It's easy to re-cover them with some new material and a staple gun.
I have one that is a problem in our rig but have not addressed it yet behind a chair in the eating area.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:34 PM   #5

Side valances removed

Well, I removed the side valance pieces from the three rear living area windows and it now allows the two swivel rockers to be used without interference. I had to remove the full valance to reach all the two screws that held each side and then rehang them and secure the tensioners to the walls at the bottom and side of each window. The two side windows used the side valances as the mounting points, so I had to reposition one of those angle plate mounts to under the top surface of the valance and then one on each side for strength. I like the change.

Unfortunately, there is no improvement in the front wardrobe cabinets as the top valance still hits 3/4 of the way up the cabinet door. Frustrating design.

Will live with this for now...

2015 27DSRL White Hawk