Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2017, 09:16 PM   #1

Having trouble with fresh water tank fill

Aloha kids,

This bonehead is back with a problem???? on our new 2017 Jayfeather 23RLSW. Getting it ready for the first camp trip and running into a problem that confounds this bonehead Filled fresh water tank but the gauge says it is only 2/3 full. The problem is a hose under the trailer starts spewing water as if it is an overflow???? Turn of hose immediately and that hose spews out alot of water for about 5 minutes, thus emptying the fresh water tank to 1/3. We have three low point drains on the sewer side of the trailer but this one is unmarked and confusing???? Probably a simple thing but this bonehead (moi) cannot figure it out. TIA You folks are always so helpful!
Mauigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #2

Sounds like the fresh water drain is open. Close the valve and try again?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Timbrens
blwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:35 PM   #3

I don't have this but I was thinking about getting one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40003-W.../dp/B0006IX850

We had the same issue with our old camper. When filling the air doesn't have a place to go so it pressurizes and everything is kind of sloshing around from filling and it will blast out the vent hole. I usually wait until it calms down and fill a little slower to pack more water in. It will still push a lot of water out but every time I get a little more in there. Not sure if that filler above will help but I am going to try one as it is pretty cheap.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #4

IMO, sennister is probably on the right track. The water is flowing out the overflow, but the fresh water tank is pressurized. Try filling the tank slowly. The fresh water fill really isn't designed to handle the full flow from a hose.

I put the
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-11691-W.../dp/B002XL2IBS
on the end my hose to fill the fresh water tank.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post

I put the
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-11691-W.../dp/B002XL2IBS
on the end my hose to fill the fresh water tank.
Hmm I was thinking about getting one of those as well. Maybe I will try that first. Kind of the same thing.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 PM   #6

If I am understanding what you're saying, this problem is actually more common than you think.

To clarify, you are filling your fresh water tank from the filler. When the tank gets almost full water starts flowing out of the overflow tube under the trailer. You shut the water off but the water continues to flow out of the overflow tube, long enough that you end up losing a full 1/3 tank of water.

What is happening is a syphon effect. It will also happen when you start driving down the highway if the water in the tank shifts enough to force some out of the overflow hose. Then you may arrive at the campground and only have a 2/3 full tank.

Two things to fix this. One, fill the tank slowly, or at least fill the last 1/3 tank slowly.
Two, you can pick up a cheap shut off valve which looks like the water tank drain valve; put that on the overflow. Once your tank is completely full, shut the valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:55 PM   #7

What NVGUN40 said. Leave the valve closed for travel. Open the valve on day 2 of camping so it doesn't drain a bunch on the first day. I do this all the time. (I have 2 FWT) my first trip I lost about 60 of my 80 gal of water before I go to the campsite. I was rather annoyed. Filling the tank back up from a hand pump 8 gal at a time was a.lot of work. The valves were installed on the overflows as soon as I got back from that first trip.
Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:12 AM   #8

Don't worry, Mauigirl, you're not doing anything wrong. Virtually everyone has this problem. Air fills your empty water tank, and that air needs some place to go when it's displaced by water as you fill the tank(s). That's what the overflow tube is for. But, unfortunately, (as others have said) the water continues to siphon out (especially as it sloshes back and forth when you drive) until the level drops down about 1/3 tank.

Quite a few of us have added some sort of shut-off to the end of that line. I cut about 1" off that line, and took it into Home Depot. In the plumbing section (where the underground lawn sprinkler system parts are), I picked up a barbed hose insert - sized to insert into the piece of hose I had taken with me. The other end of the insert has 1/2" Male Pipe Threads. I also purchased a hose clamp, and a 1/2" Female Pipe Thread water shut-off valve (like what is on the water lines for your toilet and sinks at home).

When I got home, I put a little dish soap on the barbs of the insert (so it would easily slide into the hose), put the hose clamp over the end of the hose, inserted the barbed hose insert, screwed the shut-off valve onto the insert, and Voila!

I leave the valve open while filling the tank. When water starts pouring out of the overflow, I shut the valve and finish filling the tank. When water gushes out of the fill spout, I shut off the water, and head to my campsite. After a day or two of using the fresh water, I crawl under the trailer and open the valve - so air can return to the tank as the water is used. I generally don't close the valve when refilling the tank from 5 gal. jugs and my hand pump. I just fill it until the water starts to come out of the overflow valve. Because I'm adding water slowly, it doesn't seem to siphon off additional water.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #9
Site Team

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...cture6497t.jpg Like some others, we did this to stop the overflow/siphoning. They are opened while filling, and then closed before driving.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:20 PM   #10

Here's a different twist on that overflow problem. I have been parked for 4 months, The fresh water tank was filled up when I arrived and is still showing full if the gauge is correct. The other morning I came out to find water running out of the Overflow tubing. I hadn't moved, drained or added water in all the time I've been here. Temperature hasn't changed much. Anyone have any clue what the gremlins are up to? I hate to pack it all in and get to the repair shop since I'm a full-time RV'r. 2011 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 31.5. Thanks in advance. Carolyn
Nmgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:57 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmgypsy View Post
Here's a different twist on that overflow problem. I have been parked for 4 months, The fresh water tank was filled up when I arrived and is still showing full if the gauge is correct. The other morning I came out to find water running out of the Overflow tubing. I hadn't moved, drained or added water in all the time I've been here. Temperature hasn't changed much. Anyone have any clue what the gremlins are up to? I hate to pack it all in and get to the repair shop since I'm a full-time RV'r. 2011 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 31.5. Thanks in advance. Carolyn
Make sure all the valves are correct in the utility panel. On my 2011, the valve configuration has a option to fill the fresh tank. A wrong position or a defective or leaky valve could be another thing to look at.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmgypsy View Post
I have a 2011 28.5 RLS Eagle Superlite and believe that the water piping in yours and mine are similar. Since there is no utility panel and just three manual valves behind the water heater I don't think that those valves used to bypass the water heater are part of the problem. Your fresh tank is gravity fill - you fill the fresh water tank with a hose, correct?

Are you sure that the water you are seeing leaking out is coming from the overflow lines, and not from some other source? If you just turn off the pedestal water supply to your trailer, what happens to the leak? Could the low point drains have been turned on somehow by accident?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:58 AM   #13
Site Team

Sorry, I thought yours was like mine. Another thing in your case could be a check valve leaking at the water pump. Allowing fresh water to get into the fresh tank from the city water connection. Try turning off the city water and see if it stops leaking from the overflow.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:40 AM   #14

Yes, I fill the tank with a hose. And when I turn off the city water, the leak stops. It is definitely from the two overflow hoses, I have checked the two low Point drains and they ate working properly. I will be checking the water pump today.
And all my posts are by a little old, really old, lady with advice and much help from two dogs.I will let you know what I find. If I don't come back on 3 days, I've gotten stuck in a compromising position.
Nmgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:51 AM   #15

I think Norty1 is right; the check valve in the water pump is not working and is allowing city water to flow backwards into your storage tank. There are two solutions: a repaired or replaced pump or a manual valve installed on the supply side of your pump - close to the pump, before the trailer supply lines, which can be turned off, and will stop the backwards flow.

Probably the best thing is to replace or repair the pump.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:30 PM   #16

Water issues

I have a 2021 Jayco Greyhawk. I’m trying to get RV ready for a outing but I cannot fill potable water tank. Also I cannot get the city water to work either. When I trying using either one water leaks from the back of the RV. What am I doing wrong. We have only had this unit since October and aren’t fully familiar with it yet. Have a trip planned in two days. Help appreciated.
Pastorlarry is offline   Reply With Quote