Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #1

Heat Duct installation

I have a 2012 Jayco 330RLTS TT and it is located on a permanent site at a campground all year long. I noticed i was not getting heat to the back bedroom and mice were getting in so i crawled underneath the camper and noticed that the mice had chewed away the Styrofoam away from where the sewage comes out of the underneath covering and got inside the (cheap) flex vent for the heat. Found acorns and nuts in the vent system. I was wondering if anyone has had to redo their whole ventilation system and if they used the standard house venting that is made of galvanized metal? I'm sure i will need to use alot of 90 degree elbows. Also thinking of replacing the whole underneath with rolled sheet metal to try and keep the critters out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
sfinch2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #2

90 Degree elbows are a no-no- You need to use flex duct and keep the runs as straight and the curves as gradual as possible. Heat like air conditioning suffers adversely from airflow restrictions and using 90s will guarantee you will have problems.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #3

But mice seem to chew through the flex vents. Unless there is a stronger type flex vent i can buy. The flex vent used in those RV's are cheap and i can poke my finger right through it.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #4

There is a semi-rigid flex duct (often recommended for dryer vents) that is available in several sizes at Home Depot, Lowe's, Menard's, etc. That might work to keep the mice out, make gradual turns, and flex during transport. Worth looking into.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #5

Yep, Looked it up at Menards website cost is $13 per 8 ft. I think i will try that and see.
Thanks!