Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2018, 08:30 PM   #1
DKB

Heat in pantry from back side of frig

Hello everyone. I have a 2015 Jayco Eagle 338RETS that I’ve noticed a lot of heat from the refrigerator heat tube (back side) that radiates heat thru the thin panel wall of the pantry. Both components are located in a slide making the frig vent thru a side vent near the top of the slide. I figure a vent not out the roof might hold some additional heat so I checked the top vent for blockages and found no problems. I tried an experiment with sticky back insulation sheets in the pantry with less than satisfactory results. Here’s my question. Can I stuff insulation between the heat tube and the paneling. The tube gets pretty dang hot! Any ideas?

Dennis
DKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:25 AM   #2

[QUOTE so I checked the top vent for blockages and found no problems.
Dennis[/QUOTE]
Did you check the bottom intake area? Also, just in case mice or critters did you look into the flue? If you can't see into it try putting a fan against the intake and see if there is a draft out the top vent.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:48 AM   #3

I take a walk around the campgrounds at every park. You can learn a lot from time to time. Especially during extreme hot and cold temps.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB View Post
. . . Here’s my question. Can I stuff insulation between the heat tube and the paneling. The tube gets pretty dang hot! Any ideas?

Dennis
I think you'll be ok using fiberglass insulation. When I installed an ARP flue temperature probe on our frig, there was fiberglass insulation packed all around, directly in contact with the inner flue tube. That flue tube gets over 300+ degrees (F). No issues.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
I think you'll be ok using fiberglass insulation. When I installed an ARP flue temperature probe on our frig, there was fiberglass insulation packed all around, directly in contact with the inner flue tube. That flue tube gets over 300+ degrees (F). No issues.
That was the norm on the older SENECAS too. You could also add some silver bubble insulation inside the pantry.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:52 PM   #6
DKB

Thanks for the suggestions. I plan to stuff insulation between the flue and the paneling (approximately 1 1/2”) but I may also try thicker insulation inside the pantry. I did look up from the bottom and down from the top and saw nothing out of the ordinary however I didn’t force air thru the flue checking for air flow. I’ll try that too just to make sure. Great suggestions. Thank you.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:30 AM   #7

Check this out
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D0wVTP89-Btg&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwi-oeLa-PvcAhWC1IMKHUxlAnkQtwIIGDAA&usg=AOvVaw206BxBhSnRvE 7_EwvABeY3
newsleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #8

I would avoid stuffing fiberglass behind the flue as some airflow may be needed to ventilate the area. Try instead using insulation board glued or screwed to the wall behind the flue leaving some air space. The kind with foil face would be best. Cut in handy size small pieces and glue with quad seal or whatever you have.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #9
DKB

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsleet View Post
Check this out
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D0wVTP89-Btg&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwi-oeLa-PvcAhWC1IMKHUxlAnkQtwIIGDAA&usg=AOvVaw206BxBhSnRvE 7_EwvABeY3
Thanks for this link. I might just try this along with the insulation below
Old 08-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #10
DKB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I would avoid stuffing fiberglass behind the flue as some airflow may be needed to ventilate the area. Try instead using insulation board glued or screwed to the wall behind the flue leaving some air space. The kind with foil face would be best. Cut in handy size small pieces and glue with quad seal or whatever you have.
Thanks for your input Roger.