Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2016, 07:17 PM   #1

Heat wave and dual A/C

We are currently camping in central Florida where the temperature hit 101 today with a heat index "feels like" 108. Our campsite has zero shading. With all curtains closed, including the skylight shade in the kitchen, the main 15,000 btu AC was struggling. With the single AC running non stop the inside temperature climbed to 82 before I turned on the bedroom AC to help. With both units running I was able to get the inside back down to 77 again. This is the first time I needed dual AC. If anyone is on the fence about ordering that 2nd AC. If you may find yourself in triple digit temperatures at 80% plus humidity I would highly recommend it.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Agree. We have used ours much more lately than in past years.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:43 PM   #3

send me your furnace. Its in the upper 40's. Its been warmer . One day to 80..
Welcome to Maine.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:00 PM   #4

I highly agree...

We had to use both of ours in early June while camping at Lake Louisa State Park on Hwy 27 west of Disney. No shade at all there...

We traveled from Babler State Park in St Louis down to 7 Points Campground in Nashville today and had to run both of ours to get her cooled down.

I like you, highly recommend having 2 AC's on the BHBE if you will be Camping in the Summers. I posted a thread about the need before ordering ours and it was 10 to 1 to order the 2nd AC. I also like having the upgraded 50 Amp wiring.
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:29 PM   #5

Yep we ordered the dual ac on our BHBE. Couldn't find a BHBE on a lot that had both ac units. Haven't needed it yet but cheaper to get it up front. And like anything, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan0171 View Post
We are currently camping in central Florida where the temperature hit 101 today with a heat index "feels like" 108. Our campsite has zero shading. With all curtains closed, including the skylight shade in the kitchen, the main 15,000 btu AC was struggling. With the single AC running non stop the inside temperature climbed to 82 before I turned on the bedroom AC to help. With both units running I was able to get the inside back down to 77 again. This is the first time I needed dual AC. If anyone is on the fence about ordering that 2nd AC. If you may find yourself in triple digit temperatures at 80% plus humidity I would highly recommend it.
Completely Agree!

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:48 AM   #7

I absolutely agree with using both A/C units when necessary. Over the July 4th weekend, we camped at one of the lakes in our area. The temps were in the mid to upper 90s with humidity to match. We have the silver bubble wrap type of insulation in the windows and used the bathroom door to enter and leave the trailer so the living area wouldn't have the furnace blast every time the main door was opened. Within an hour of arriving at our campsite (about 1PM) our trailer was nice and comfy inside with both A/C units running full blast. We also have wall mounted oscillating fans. Our daughter and her family arrived at about the same time in their TT with only a single 15KW A/C unit on their 28' rig. They kept coming over to our unit to get cool while their unit was struggling to cool off. (the grand kids were in the lake getting cool). After sundown, their unit was finally cool enough for them to stay in. Needless to say, my daughter is now planning to have a second A/C unit added ASAP (their TT is prewired for it).
Happy camping everyone!

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:29 AM   #8

Even with dual A\C's, my unit struggles to keep the temperature below 80 degrees by mid afternoon. Need to fabricate some kind of air deflector for the thermostat. The air blows right on the thermostat in the bedroom causing it to prematurely cycle. Not good for keeping cool or the life of the A\C unit. I also do not like the fact that the thermostat can cycle so quickly. Most thermostats I ever owned have settings for how long it stays on before shutting off again.

It may be time to spend some bucks for a digital thermostat in both rooms and may even have to spend the BIG bucks for wireless so that the thermostats can be placed in more realistic locations that truly reflect what temperatures you want where in the TT.

But yeah, if you camp in the summer, two units are mandatory.

P.S. I also placed some reflective heat barrier on the entry door window to keep the afternoon sun from shining through onto the hall thermostat (the engineer needs to be shot for this stupid placement).
Attached Thumbnails
20160625_080159.jpg  
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:37 AM   #9

We were in S Florida this past March & April, with temps just breaking the 90's. I heard ours offered the optional 3 airs. The best we could do was 82 in a partial shaded lot with one air. Just had a front bedroom unit added and will try that. But after reading the comments here I'm thinking I'll end up with the 3. My prior units were 38' or less with two airs and did just fine. This is our first 5th, so with the high ceilings and overall square footage it's probably a no-brainer.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #10

I didn't go with the dual AC units, but I'm certainly glad I opted for the 15k option. My trailer is located on cape cod and we had a few very hot days last week. I was able to maintain a comfortable 70 degrees inside while the outside temp was in the 80's and my camper sits in the blazing sun until about 4pm. I honestly don't think the standard 13.5k would have kept up. I have the 38fdds, so it's a big rig to keep cool.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #11

Welcome to Florida
We too have two AC units, we negotiated the extra at delivery. Over the 4th of July weekend we were camping with no shade and with both running and a small fan to push some air out of the bedroom it was very comfortable. I honestly couldn't even imagine not having two down here.
Chrislorl is offline   Reply With Quote