Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #1

Smile Hello All!

New to this and wanted to get some input from you experts. Thinking of buying a Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS for our family of four. What are the Pros/Cons? Never owned a travel trailer before?

Thanks!

Big Country
Big Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #2

Someone else will have to comment on the 32BHDS but what are you planning to tow it with? Looks like that TT is 7590 lbs dry.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #3

Welcome!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #4

IMHO the most important question is to make sure everyone in the family is on board with the idea of making this purchase. Will you get a return on your investment. Not meaning in a monetary sense but in family quality time and sharing in this adventure together? I see way too many folks that like the idea of living in an RV but in a year or two they become driveway ornaments. If you are wanting to pull the trigger try renting a trailer and take a few test runs as a family. Is you wife happy with a modified kitchen, are you ok with outdoor cooking, emptying sewer tanks, kids hot having everything they have in their home abailable on the road but still able to find and discover new cool things that dont take batyeries or electricity. Learn about how many addendum items you will need to buy to get the camper truly roadworthy and comfortable. For my family and our kids it was an adventure that we loved. Kids now grown up and in college but they still love to camp with us whenever possible. Good luck.
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:15 PM   #5

^^^ Good Advice There ^^^^

If your not handy ....you might not enjoy the experience of hitching up, leveling your rig, lighting a furnace, checking tire pressures, battery voltages....etc. I get off being the king of my own little world. Secondary is the fun of relaxing at various points of interest and spending time with my family...we all enjoy relaxing as opposed to constant stimulation.

I'd suggest camping with some friends or renting a Mobile Home for starters....see if the bug bites hard.

Good luck with your decision
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #6

Hey All! Thanks for your posts! Yes, I'm very handy. The whole family is on board. Towing with a F150. We are just trying to enjoy as much family time with our kids. I want them to be able to tell their kids stories one day of our family adventures. It would make seeing this beautiful country a bit more enjoyable!
Big Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:45 AM   #7

Welcome to the site
The 32BHDS is a very nice unit. Was on my short list till I found the 294BHS...
I heard a very interesting comment the other day;
"Your first RV is an investment in your RV education..."
GL

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #8

Camping with your kids is one of the best times in your life. They may tell you after they get a little older that they do not want to go with you because it is not fun or "cool" anymore. We camped with three children for many years until they got old enough to do things on their own. All three of them complained about going with us especially when their older siblings were able to go out on their own. Now that they are older and have their own families, all three of them talk about how much fun they had with us when they were younger.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
New to this and wanted to get some input from you experts. Thinking of buying a Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS for our family of four. What are the Pros/Cons? Never owned a travel trailer before?

Thanks!

Big Country

I just bought my first TT as well. I picked a Jayco Flight 33RLDS as I loved the floor plan. I also liked another manufacture TT but choose the Jayco because I liked the floor plan more and the two year warranty. I looked for about a year and all the advice I got was the choose floor plan you like the best as the number one reason you buy.

I read a lot on here before joining as a way to determine what issues there may be with a Jayco.....all manufactures have issues, it is how they are dealt with that separates them. I have read on here that Jayco is easy to deal with and at times cover items even after warranty.

Good luck with your decision.
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #10

Gosh some of you are outright B-R-A-V-E grabbing these larger rigs for your first go-around. I'm on rig 3, and at 24' bumper to hitch I'm still wigging out over it !!!!
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Gosh some of you are outright B-R-A-V-E grabbing these larger rigs for your first go-around. I'm on rig 3, and at 24' bumper to hitch I'm still wigging out over it !!!!
I'm not towing that monster I just bought....it will sit on a seasonal site until I sell it and buy a trailer that I will tow that will be smaller and a lot lighter. We plan on living in our trailer for a few years when we start towing or at least in the winters when we head south. So in about 5 years we will buy our more manageable tow-able trailer!

I have the same truck that you have....so towing that monster would not be possible!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Hey All! Thanks for your posts! Yes, I'm very handy. The whole family is on board. Towing with a F150. We are just trying to enjoy as much family time with our kids. I want them to be able to tell their kids stories one day of our family adventures. It would make seeing this beautiful country a bit more enjoyable!
MOST IMPORTANLY -- the 32BHDS is too much for F150 (or any 1/2 ton for that matter). Before you buy anything start reading about weights and how to match a TT to your Tow Vehicle, unless you are prepared to step up and buy a new Tow Vehicle at the same time you buy a the trailer.

As for the 32BHDS...we nearly purchased it as our 2nd Travel Trailer. I really like the 32BHDS; specifically the interior space and 2nd door for bathroom. Didn't like the outdoor kitched cost us a bunk and ~36' overall length was going to cost us some of our favorite camp gounds.

As you can see, we opted for the 29QBH...for us it was a nice balance of what we wanted, weight and length.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #13

We bought a 32BHDS this past September and will begin using it on a seasonal site in April. We loved the layout and the versatility the bunk house offers. It will be plenty of room for our family of four with 2 young boys and extra space for their friends on occasion.

I'd agree about not towing it with a 150 though..... The dry weight is around 9700 pounds.
turkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #14

I have the 32BHDS, it is our 3rd TT. We tow with an Excursion. If we did not need seating for 7 we would of bought a 3/4 ton PU to tow it with. We have 4 kids, the oldest 17 and the youngest 7. Our 17 year old has already told us when she goes away to college in 2 years she plans on meeting us at the CG, when hearing that our 16 year old and 14 year old said the samething. They have already warned us not to downsize too early since they love to camp.
The 32BHDS has enough room in the rear buhkhouse for my kids, sometimes a friend comes along, as well as ample storage for all their clothes and games. The second door into the bathroom helps keep the TT clean. I have camped from Maine to Florida and have not been turned away because of length, but i only visit full hook up campgrounds. My TT's loaded weight to camp is close to 9200lbs.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:39 PM   #15

Agree with the previous comment. Just ordered a 28BHBE, coming out of a 33' Fifth Wheel and a 39'-35' four slide fifth wheel before that. First RV was a 31 Winnebago Minnie class C. I'm happy to be on the downsizing trend, have no idea how we towed the Titanium cross country in my trusty Duramax, but we did with literally no problems ever.

And whoever said your first RV is your learning RV is totally correct. So I finally learned that I want a tow behind, I guess...we're excited to take delivery of the 28BHBE in a couple of weeks, and look forward to spending time out with grandkids, family and friends. Thinking that those great bunks will be comfortable for adult friends traveling with us...
RKHengst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkii View Post
We bought a 32BHDS this past September and will begin using it on a seasonal site in April. We loved the layout and the versatility the bunk house offers. It will be plenty of room for our family of four with 2 young boys and extra space for their friends on occasion.

I'd agree about not towing it with a 150 though..... The dry weight is around 9700 pounds.
On my 32BHDS the yellow sticker said it weighed ( dry weight) 8380 when it left the factory.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip...... Towing with a F150....... snip
I have to agree with the other JOF members, the Jay Flight 32BHDS will be to much TT for just about any F-150. Since this is your first time purchasing a TT, your do diligence now will pay dividends later.

Some food for thought:

* Your F-150's published Tow Rating is not as it sit's in your driveway, it's less: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...uot-Tow-Rating

* Your F-150's "available" Payload Capacity is very important because the TT's "loaded" tongue weight is supported by the TV (tow vehicle), thus is subtracted from the TV's payload capacity. To determine how much "available" payload capacity you have, take your F-150 under loaded conditions (full fuel, passengers, simulate cargo in box) to a CAT Scale and weigh it (simple 2 minute process, about $9), subtract the CAT scale weight from the GVWR noted on your driver's door. The remaining weight is your "available" payload capacity. Also, the weight of the WDH (approx. 50lbs) is subtracted from the TV's payload capacity.

* Focus on potential "loaded" TT weights, not UVW and Dry weights...., because few of us tow empty TT's to a campground. Also, we all have different loading habits so keep this in mind (ie.; family of four may load heavier then two just two adults).

* The published UVW of a TT is not it's actual "Ship Weight", the actual ship weight of a TT can be 150lbs to 800lbs heavier depending on the particular model. IMO the 2014 Jay Flight 32BHDS's actual ship weight will add around 500lbs to it's published UVW of 7,590lbs = 8,090lbs Ship Weight (approx.).

* The desired loaded tongue weight for a TT like the 32BHDS will be in the 13% to 15% range of the TT's potential (or actual) loaded weight.

Example of moderately loaded 32BHDS: (7,590lbs UVW) + (500lbs Ship Weight delta) + (100lbs Dealer.., battery, etc.) + (600lbs TT cargo, no fluids) = 8,790lbs

Example of 32BHDS loaded tongue weight: (13% to 15%) of (8,790lbs) = 1,143lb to 1,319lb loaded tongue weight range.

I hope this information will provide some insight into what to consider when purchasing your first TT.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:09 PM   #18

This is all great advice! Especially those notes about weight. Renting or borrowing a trailer or even a Class C will help you figure out exactly what you want or need in a trailer.

Most of us who tow heavy trailers with 1/2 ton trucks will tell you that payload capacity is the Achilles Heel of our truck's capability. And there's none of this "I can barely tell it's back there" when you're towing at or near your truck's maximum rated capability; you know very well it's there and you have to be that much more vigilant because of it. I also agree the trailer you're looking at is too much for any 1/2 ton truck.

The rig in my signature is our first travel trailer. Yeah, it's really big for a first-timer. But I have towed other stuff before (cargo trailers, boats, utility trailers...) so I know a little about it. That being said, a TT is really a whole different animal. And I might have taken the advice to "buy your 3rd trailer first" a little too literally. But future plans make the 28BHBE perfect for us... We also got some practice runs in the out-laws MH a few times before we pulled the trigger on our TT.

I also grew up camping, fixing my own vehicles, working on my own house... So, like most others on this forum, I'm pretty handy and able to easily learn new processes that build on that base of experience and skills. Improvisation and thinking outside the box are important "talents".

If you've never done anything like this before, your learning curve will be a bit steeper. If you're unable to improvise and keep your cool under pressure, you'll have a difficult time. But if you're willing to slow down, listen and do plenty of research and you have the capacity to build on a wide base of knowledge, you'll be fine.

I see people all the time who have never towed anything, never fixed or repaired anything (with or without the "proper" tools), never camped, never driven anything bigger than a Camry... have the dealer hook up their huge brand new trailer to their obviously under-sized tow vehicle, get out into a park without the slightest clue as to what they've gotten themselves into. They look absolutely miserable.

Watch "The Long, Long Trailer", sometimes it seems more documentary than comedy...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote