Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2017, 05:32 AM   #1

Help a newb! - 2003 23B Floor Issues

Hey all, I'm looking for advice, suggestions and help with an issue Ive got myself into.

Wife kid and I have wanted to do some camping for a few years. Wife and kid have done several trips with her parents and I felt it was time bite the bullet and buy something. After looking a bunch of stuff on craigslist, we found a 23B that we liked and seemed clean so we bought it. We knew it needed a little external cleanup and some tires but couldnt find much else to fault it.

Fast forward to buyers remorse day: After I got it home and in my driveway, I found that 1 bolt from the steps had ripped out of the floor and found a mushy spot near the door. Further investigation, I found some recently installed 2x4 braces underneath (cleverly painted black) screwed into the frame likely holding up a partially mush floor. I pretty much felt like I'd been taken.

So, now here is my dilema. Do I just rig up the step with some brackets and steel as others have done on here, redo the poorly applied silicone around the camper and just enjoy it? These are the choices I can think of.
A) Just use it after repairing the step.
B) Throw down a 3/8 piece of plywood over the top of whatever is there and add some proper bracing underneath to replace the 2x4s.
C) Send it back down the road to craiglist and let someone else deal with it.
D) Something else...(i'm not interested in sinking lots of time or money into a 14yr old camper)

Thoughts, help opinons?

Thanks!
Chad-
brownc00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:38 AM   #2

That is a hard set of choices. Does sound like they knew they had an issue and fixed it up good enough to sell it.

Personally, what I would start with is fix the steps for now. Call Jayco with your vin number and get the floor drawing. I am not sure how the floor is made on a 2003. My 2012, has a composite floor, two pieces of plywood with a layer of foam in-between.

After doing a little research you can formulate a logical plan. It might just conclude, use it this year and enjoy it, ensure you like camping, and move onto something else.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:48 PM   #3

I had a similar thing happen to us last year on a older trail lite tt. We decided to cut our losses and sell it. I was honest with the buyer but I did loose some $ but I was able to sleep at night. We went out and purchased a brand new Jayco Jay flight this spring and have not regretted either decision . Good luck with any option that works best for you.
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote